What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Measured up a house for vinyl plank today, then took a seam apart and remade it. With the Kool Glide seamer, you need to hit the button each time....... Yes, even in doorways. 😁
I'd tell the installer, but naw, not gonna tell him. 😇
Went to another seam complaint about 5pm.....
.....I swear I heard banjos playing as soon as I entered the driveway. 😱

Playin with countertops again. First one is a slab of butcher block that we had layin around in the shop that I’m replacing a DIY IKEA top with. Already got it stained and I’ll spray it with some gloss tomorrow.

Next is a maple block that is getting another coat of oil then waxed and buffed.

Third one is a live edge shelf I sprayed with some gloss today.

And last but certainly not least is… my money tree is growing.

D67CE281-C2FF-434E-AFA1-8C71C11A496D.jpeg
1A7E7E11-5BF9-40DE-BE62-712BE386018E.jpeg
33F4A691-405C-4D82-B552-69E9297F4049.jpeg
F6FC5DAE-731D-413E-9D48-D8858621DB46.jpeg
C221EBC0-2819-4930-95FF-980DFE45F9A4.jpeg

We like to joke that the reason we can't get contractors out here is that they hear banjos on the way out and turn around. Had a friend panic because he saw one of my cows in the yard. He'd apparently never seen a cow's ass up close before.

The cow came to inspect our work when we were mounting the 10' pole with the satellite dish. Was harder than expected because the pole was too heavy for my friend to hold by himself (at least high enough to get in to the mount). And it kept wobbling because the eaves aren't as strong as we thought. Took 3 of us to get it mounted. At one point I was organizing tools near the porch & my brother was playing around with a ladder. He lifted it up, lost control, and dropped it behind him right on my head. My friend was worried but I told him I'm hard-headed.

Puppies ran off with the gorilla tape and we never found it. Tried to run off with a bag of tools but I stopped them. My brother whined about his foot hurting so he went inside asap. I had to put away 2 of the ladders (couldn't lift the biggest one), and the tools.

Made 2 trips to TSC to get stuff to help mount the pole. Ended up needing 100' of paracord to tether one side to the chimney and the other side to the car port to stabilize it. Will need a more permanent solution later on. I'm leaning toward Amazon.com: (Pack of 2) Directv Long Braces for J Mount with 2" OD Clamps Support Arms Monopoles Ka/ku Slimline Struts : Electronics but I think I need something longer. I wish I could find enough scrap metal to make something.

Playin with countertops again. First one is a slab of butcher block that we had layin around in the shop that I’m replacing a DIY IKEA top with. Already got it stained and I’ll spray it with some gloss tomorrow.

Next is a maple block that is getting another coat of oil then waxed and buffed.

Third one is a live edge shelf I sprayed with some gloss today.

And last but certainly not least is… my money tree is growing.

View attachment 14530View attachment 14534View attachment 14531View attachment 14532View attachment 14533
There is some good stuff there
I dont have enough patience to do anything like those

Where do you sell the butcher blocks?

To customers😋. Sometimes they want butcher block, sometimes Corian. Had a P-lam one a couple months ago. Butcher block is popular. They get several coats of mineral oil then a coat of wax. I have some wool polishing pads I put on my palm sander to buff em up. I can buff it up to a satin look so far. Works decent but I just ordered a hand buffer last night for future buffings. Should be able to buff my van with it too. Different wax of course🤪.

There is some good stuff there
I dont have enough patience to do anything like those

Sure you do. You might even get some ooo’s n ahhh’s from your customers. I was thinkin about this as I was sanding one of the tops yesterday. Flooring is down there and something you walk on. That’s why we get no respect. But countertops are right here where you can touch and feel them. So floor guys get no respect yet people lose their gourd over countertops. Just think of all the cheap ass plastic floors have I installed in straight up dumpy places only to have the customer coo over the granite countertops they just had installed. Yeah, it’s real.

Hippies, ladies and liberals love wood. It’s like being able to hug a tree in your own kitchen or voting for Bernie even if he’s not on the ticket. They brag about such n such that they just had installed then tell you to come and feel it. Oooo, aren’t they pretty. The designer gals really go nuts for them too and they’re all smokin hot ladies so that really makes my day when they come in smellin all purdy holding their Starbucks cups with lipstick on them. Meow.

Excavation down to 6"
compact soil
4" class 2 base
compact base
replacing rubber with rubber and grass with turf/pad
about 1900' turf 1400' rubber in 7 areas delineated by sidewalks

Attachments

• 20220421_085835.jpg
    20220421_085835.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220421_075837.jpg
    20220421_075837.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220420_110907.jpg
    20220420_110907.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220421_085928.jpg
    20220421_085928.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 19
I fed the kitties, let puppies out, took out trash, and cleaned the hallway & most of the kitchen. I'm taking a break. It's Mom's birthday so I'm waiting to see what she wants me to cook for her.

Feels like a Friday but it ain’t. I loaded up some clear in my gun and shot the butcher block counter top. 2 coats on the back side and 4 coats on the top and sides. A little scuff with 400 sand paper between coats and she’s smooth like a baby’s bottom.

Gave my table saw some love today with a new blade. After work I had a beer and cut out a donkey. Gonna stain him tomorrow then give him a few coats of clear. I got some blue LED’s for the eyes so I’ll have to drill and mount them them. I shall name him Pepper.

98DE86F4-3649-48C3-8374-BD7365BA3F44.jpeg
F078F666-0A82-449C-A78F-C8749F825FB2.jpeg
398A7B02-7571-4DE5-AC76-57033AB2D2E5.jpeg
510BAB51-577B-4927-946C-0639AB9D30C0.jpeg
440F495B-DD23-4012-A4E6-7B85A1D908AB.jpeg

At my cousin's house, all hail

View attachment 14550
We had some hail a couple weeks ago, the first time this winter I believe. My little pickup doesn't have a headliner in it and holy crap away it got pretty noisy in there. It only took about a minute for it to drop a half inch on the roadway, enough to make the road slickery.
It was like driving on marbles. Quarter mile down the road there was no hail at all on the ground.
I'm glad we don't have that kind of hail.

Latest posts

Back