What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Changed out the pad on my orbital sander. The old one was worn down and losing its grip on the discs and screens. Now is a good time to inspect the belt and clean up the sander.

9505739D-8DF5-4255-884E-A259F30FB73E.jpeg
8B3855BF-17A5-4A37-92FA-2F6CB18CC598.jpeg
5B0433F4-5997-4162-8FFD-DED5D4C2005C.jpeg

It was windy today so litter was blowing all over the place at work. A crumpled up bag blew in the shop. One of the guys picked it up and was showing the rest of us. I made a wooden box to fill the inside of the bag and now it’s shop art.

99F6F3A0-D70B-4C95-949C-35C70043B7C1.jpeg

Changed out the pad on my orbital sander. The old one was worn down and losing its grip on the discs and screens. Now is a good time to inspect the belt and clean up the sander.

View attachment 16268View attachment 16270View attachment 16269

It was windy today so litter was blowing all over the place at work. A crumpled up bag blew in the shop. One of the guys picked it up and was showing the rest of us. I made a wooden box to fill the inside of the bag and now it’s shop art.

View attachment 16271
A friend sells used cars. He puts a note on the door, back in 20 minutes.......
.....from when? I never stuck around that long. 😁

I've never had a random orbital. I only have a 1990 Makita quarter sheet pita.
Does the rubber band do the orbital part or is that the whole drive train?

I’ve had a couple of the 1/4 sheet palm sanders. I liked that they got into the corner a lot better than an orbital can. I used 40 and 60 grit a lot so the sandpaper gripper holder bar thingy would wear down and loses its gripping ability so the sandpaper would slip out. I then switched to using the sticky sanding pads and that worked for maybe another year until I had to break down and buy a new palm sander.

Doesn’t seem to matter what brand you have, at some point the dust bag on your palm sander will spring a leak. Some sooner than others and in different places but they all will eventually. Guess that’s what the HEPA vac is for.

Who here has bought a palm sander based on its compatibility with your shop vac or vice versa?

I've never had a random orbital. I only have a 1990 Makita quarter sheet pita.
Does the rubber band do the orbital part or is that the whole drive train?

I’m gonna have to examine that a little closer tomorrow. I got how it works in my head but I have to look at it again to be able to better explain it but as of now here goes.

The center shaft is where the motor is and where the orbital rotation comes from. There is an eccentric bearing on the center shaft that produces an off center orbital action. It’s the same off center orbital action every time until you rotate the eccentric bearing itself. Now it’s the same off centered orbital action but in a different direction. If you keep rotating the eccentric bearing with an off centered orbital action you have a random orbital action.

When the pad is doing its off centered orbital thing it wants to spin. The belt makes the housing that holds the eccentric bearing rotate thereby constantly changing the orbits and making them random or something like that.

I gotta switch out the pad on my cordless sander so I’ll look closer at it when I do that.

I wish I could say I was being productive. Only thing I'm producing is mucus. Brother picked up respiratory crud at work and passed it on to me. So I'm hacking up a lung. Throat is sore, sinus headache, feel like garbage. Ugh. And I was just getting over the food poisoning. I don't know if its the meds or the mucus but I started having acid reflux. My cat, Itsy, was licking my forehead to try to make me feel better.

She amused me earlier by catching a mouse. Unfortunately it slipped away from her (she's over 10 years old now so she's not as fast as she used to be). I watched Itsy and the dog, Princess, both looking for the mouse where they last saw it. Princess tries to hunt mice too but she's not any good at it. LOL.

Minga Binga! That looks like a lotta work!

By the way I'd like the same floor in my motorhome but with a border all around the edges... The round part has to be round too... I wanna keep it under $2.00 a foot... When can you start?

By the way I'd like the same floor in my motorhome but with a border all around the edges... The round part has to be round too... I wanna keep it under $2.00 a foot... When can you start?

I spent decades avoiding jobs exactly like this. Now I say bring it on, I welcome the change. I spent a couple hours yesterday undercutting, scraping, vacuuming and whatever else to get the floor ready for floor. Got in at 7 this morning, started making my pattern and was done by 1. In my mind this floor was gonna take me all day to do so when I finished up a bit early I wasn’t about to start anything else so I fiddle farted around for the rest of the day.

I’ll make, stain and finish some 1/4 round Monday to complete the floor as well as I’ll finish off the countertops then I’m on to another project.

For two bucks a foot I'd expect a border of black walnut inset about 2 in and with a strip of brass on each side of it. 😁

I spent decades avoiding jobs exactly like this. Now I say bring it on, I welcome the change. I spent a couple hours yesterday undercutting, scraping, vacuuming and whatever else to get the floor ready for floor. Got in at 7 this morning, started making my pattern and was done by 1. In my mind this floor was gonna take me all day to do so when I finished up a bit early I wasn’t about to start anything else so I fiddle farted around for the rest of the day.

I’ll make, stain and finish some 1/4 round Monday to complete the floor as well as I’ll finish off the countertops then I’m on to another project.
When I saw the first picture of the pattern I'm thinking, looks like something I' do. Then I saw this 3/8-in thick vinyl floor with a wood pattern...
...and my mind took one step backwards to reevaluate the situation.
Click lock? Real wood?
I'm guessin' urethane adhesive?

Come on fess up, who makes that stuff? I've never seen click lock with those angles in it. That's impressive. At first I thought that was 9/16 solid wood and I was trying to figure out what happened when someone drove that from Arizona to Oregon and parked it unheated over the winter. It wasn't a pretty picture in my mind 😁

Speaking of stairs I stopped by the job today to see what I could discover. Before I commence, I wanted to pull out a few screws and look things over to see how things come apart. I thought I'd check it out so I had my brain wrapped around the process and I think I got it.
There's a custom-made tubular steel post/bracket that has a flat welded onto the bottom of it just like I thought.
This sets on the carpet and a bolt comes up through the underside to fasten this bracket to the top of the step once the carpet is installed
The spindles were shaved down so they fit neatly inside the tubular steel posts, then there's a fancy oak base that slides down over the bracket and covers everything up. I'm doing the top four stairs first. After I lift the railing up and out of the square steel tubing, I'm going to make a lot of measurements, maybe even some templates using poster board to ensure the brackets end up true to each other.
I pushed an awl into the carpet and pryed back one end where I folded it over. There's going to be a lot of hand tacking on this sucker just like the first time around. I think I'm going to do it the same way.
I cut the underside of the step flush all the way around. Next I folded the carpet around the top side and turned under the edges. May not be invisible, but as long as it's neat and consistent it's going to be good enough. It was good enough last time. 😁

Attachments

• PXL_20230206_213703489~2.jpg
    PXL_20230206_213703489~2.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230210_203030827.jpg
    PXL_20230210_203030827.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230210_203009287.jpg
    PXL_20230210_203009287.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230210_202904481.jpg
    PXL_20230210_202904481.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230210_202850440.jpg
    PXL_20230210_202850440.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Come on fess up, who makes that stuff? I've never seen click lock with those angles in it. That's impressive. At first I thought that was 9/16 solid wood and I was trying to figure out what happened when someone drove that from Arizona to Oregon and parked it unheated over the winter. It wasn't a pretty picture in my mind 😁

That’s Lifeproof from Home Depot. It’s a decent product. I super glued the entire thing together.😳

You do gotta keep the curtains pulled cus the sun will definitely cause the floor to bubble up. Haven’t seen that happen with Lifeproof but that doesn’t mean it won’t. There’s some cheap LVP we were using from Floor & Decor that would absolutely blow up in the sun. It would bubble up like a big ol blister. I would have to cover up all the windows so it wouldn’t blow up on me. Glad we don’t use that crap anymore.

I usually get left alone when I do floors. The only request put on me is that the owner likes to see a full piece at the exterior door so I usually bump my first row up to that wall and go from there. I suppose I coulda saved some material if I did that with this trailer but that pattern just says center me so I did.

There’s one older guy than me at work who’s been doin custom trailer builds for years. I was down on the floor doin my thing and he walks by and says ‘That’s top notch right there’. He doesn’t usually say too much, even the owner of the company was surprised by his comment so I’ll take that as a compliment.

Latest posts

Back