What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Everything seemed to go at once last week. The ceiling fan, on a dimmer switch was strobe-lighting and otherwise freaking out. So I pulled that down and bought a replacement. When I tested the old unit with new bulbs it worked fine but the dimmer was working oddly. Hell, I can live without the dimmer so I put that unit back up and returned the new.

That's about when the batteries from the smoke detectors started chirping and just like you say------even with the green and red flashing-------you can't easily figure which one is out, if any. So I played that replacement and reset game with all 4 units. All of the batteries tested good. So none of it made any sense. Put it all back up, reset the system and it hasn't chirped since.

Fridge water filter dispenser was also on the fritz for about 3 months. I replaced the filter and that didn't do anything. Finally I rolled the fridge out and pulled the water lines up off the floor, jiggled them around and straightened them out. That was a winner.

A bunch of other piddly things like that all went off at once. This is when I'm glad to be retired. It was really horrible dealing with that kind of crap when I was already overworked and overstressed.
Oh Lord, you mean rebooting the smoke alarm fixed it. 😱
Blew me away when that fixed my TV.

Check the dates... Smoke detectors will also chirp when they get old, usually around 8 years...

And I do believe a dimmer switch on a ceiling fan is a no no... Lights yes, fan no.

And do more things start going wrong when you're retired? Or do ya just start noticing more things BECAUSE you're retired? :cool: LOL
Your hearing is more sensitive at night.
.....idunno, just a guess.

Hope you’re having a good time. Go over to Fremont st and get one of those giant margaritas and ride the zip line after. Good times man!
Just be careful over there. It’s literally filled with shady/sketchy people looking for a mark. My buddy got scammed out of a C note from a hustler last time I went. Lol. He was pissed. I warned him before we went. Did my part!

We stayed away from all of that crap this time, just wanted to get out of town for the weekend and the Luxor had the cheapest rooms.

We went to Red Rocks Canyon, sat on the Art Bell memorial bench in Pahrump, checked out Boulder City and the Hoover Dam Lodge, visited my wife’s aunt n uncle then took the long way home.

Check the dates... Smoke detectors will also chirp when they get old, usually around 8 years...

And I do believe a dimmer switch on a ceiling fan is a no no... Lights yes, fan no.

And do more things start going wrong when you're retired? Or do ya just start noticing more things BECAUSE you're retired? :cool: LOL
Here's the thing------you have no EXCUSE to tell the Ol' Lady why you can't fix soemthing. She threatens me with hiring someone if I don't get to it in a reasonable time frame. When we both worked it made sense to tolerate things and just put off the minor repairs til work got slow and I had some days off.
Which ultimately means I NEVER got days off I just wasn't get paid working around the house. We used to enjoy it though. I had two boys, neighbors and friends that'd come help or at least bring a 12-pack to distract me from the misery.

Here's the thing------you have no EXCUSE to tell the Ol' Lady why you can't fix soemthing. She threatens me with hiring someone if I don't get to it in a reasonable time frame. When we both worked it made sense to tolerate things and just put off the minor repairs til work got slow and I had some days off.
Which ultimately means I NEVER got days off I just wasn't get paid working around the house. We used to enjoy it though. I had two boys, neighbors and friends that'd come help or at least bring a 12-pack to distract me from the misery.
I know how that is. On my "time off", I rewired the house, reroofed it, built a garage, put up a fence. Made a brick sidewalk and several other things. But not doing flooring was nice sometimes.

In the last 7 days, I changed two dimmer switches, replaced 3 pendant lights, and tied new power to a ceiling fan.
1) I hate working on electricity
2) That damn wire is expensive. My 50' roll of 14/2 romex was $59!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230206_155759_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230206_155759_Chrome.jpg
    597.6 KB · Views: 0
Somebody shoot me. Cut pile this time.
Did I own an electric tacker 30 years ago? I don't think so.
I guess I'll find out. I don't even know where to start. 🫣

Attachments

• PXL_20230206_213806274.jpg
    PXL_20230206_213806274.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230206_213907428.jpg
    PXL_20230206_213907428.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230206_213849650.jpg
    PXL_20230206_213849650.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Uggg…

Is that a bolt I see on the underneath side? Were the treads carpeted before being installed? And the hand rail installed after?
Yikes!😵‍💫

Carpet doesn’t even look warn. Talk um into keeping it another 30 years!

Yup, that's a bolt. This is sorta what I'm dealing with on each corner, and probably the same in the center of each step. It's most likely a threaded rod.
There's going to be one at the back corner of each step supporting the step above it and then of course a second one on the front corner of that step, so it's one directly above the other of course you only see one of them because the upper one is hidden by the wood.
On the side of each baluster is a plug. I pride one of the plugs loose and there is a coated deck screw screw in the wood to the side of that steel post. That's what initially told me there was steel inside, hidden by the wood. When I pulled the deck screw out, the edges of the threads were bright and shiny so I knew it was hitting metal.
In my little sketch you can see a steel plate welded into the bottom of a steel tube. I'm sure the center baluster is secured the same way.

Attachments

• PXL_20230206_213907428~2.jpg
    PXL_20230206_213907428~2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230206_213806274~2.jpg
    PXL_20230206_213806274~2.jpg
    709.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230207_162301087.jpg
    PXL_20230207_162301087.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
From the looks of this plug, there's no way this is a lag bolt because the hole is too small. I'm guessing when I chip it out I'm just going to find a long wood screw.
I'd ask the carpenter that built this railing but...
...he's dead
...probably because of this railing 😁

Attachments

• PXL_20230206_213722247.jpg
    PXL_20230206_213722247.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230206_213737474~3.jpg
    PXL_20230206_213737474~3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I'm trying to think of measuring before I take the curve steps off, some way to measure them so that everything locates properly.
Each step has a steel support and one of those square tubes is welded to it so that's going to get it very close to begin with. Maybe less of an issue that I was thinking.

Attachments

• PXL_20230206_213849650~2.jpg
    PXL_20230206_213849650~2.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 0
I wouldn’t touch that job with a ten foot pole unless someone else removed the railing. I don’t know your skill set but I would not want to be responsible for putting that all back together… The other option is to cut around everything….Still wouldn’t touch it. No way it’s gonna look as good as it does now.

When removing the old carpet do it carefully and use it as a pattern for the new. Worked for me.
I may do that to some degree. It would get me pretty close. I was looking at my images to see how I did these stairs, cuz I don't have a clue what the f I did 30 years ago.
It's coming back to me though through these pictures.
Once I've pad the top surface of the step, it doesn't take long at all to wrap it with red rosin paper like a Christmas package to make a really accurate pattern.
It shows up more on my photos than when I was there taking them how I did the curved edges. I folded them under. It doesn't make for the best corners when you do that. Haven't figured out if I'm going to try and do them the same way this time. This time it's a cut pile carpet.

Attachments

• PXL_20230206_213907428~4.jpg
    PXL_20230206_213907428~4.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 0
I wouldn’t touch that job with a ten foot pole unless someone else removed the railing. I don’t know your skill set but I would not want to be responsible for putting that all back together… The other option is to cut around everything….Still wouldn’t touch it. No way it’s gonna look as good as it does now.

The first time I did this there were half as many balusters.
At some point they had a new railing made. The horizontal stair supports have a square steel piece welded on and that is the same as it was when I did the stairs way back in the olden days.
So that support is the same, and most likely the one directly above it is the same. That's going to be almost self-aligning. The center supports were added and most likely they just made brackets the same way as the first ones. A tape measure or a pattern if needed could be used to put that one back on.
Heck on those center supports I could give the rectangular piece a quarter or half turn and when installing it just drill a new hole instead of trying to align it with the old one.
As far as capabilities, I rebuilt a couple engines from my pickup, ported and reshaped some brand new new heads, built my carport, re-leveled my mobile home, built my own Seamer Down, made an electric tracker for my camera so I could take 16 minute exposures of comment Hale Bopp.
If all that doesn't give me confidence, I have a new laser level to play with so the homeowner thinks I'm a rocket scientist.
If I choose that option for measuring the brackets, I'll have to put on a white lab coat 😁

Latest posts

Back