What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't doubt your skill set. My fear is always "what if". What if something gets damaged or even just scratched? Then you have to touch it up and it doesn't match quite right?

I know people are different all over. A lot of the high end customers here on Long Island just loooove to back charge... It ain't always a friendly, family environment... :cool:

Not worried the slightest. These people realize their one of a kind stairs. The ceiling in the dining room. Is 8 feet tall with 4x10 beams hanging down. If I put two C clamps on the beams, we can suspend the curved section from the clamps with rope. The baulisters will just dangle.
I'm more concerned about MSLI arriving by Friday to get moving on this. 😁

Cutting Corian today. That’s some messy stuff if you don’t have dust collection. Even with dust collection hooked up I still get dust escaping at the blade itself between the shroud and the material. I’ve tried a few different things over the past few months to cover that gap but nothing has stuck as a universal fit and fix yet. If I put a solid piece of something over the gap, while it does work quite well, I have to remove it to bevel the saw and change the blade. It’s been buggin me for a while now what to do but I think I found the solution today.

I had a piece of 4” bristle skirting leftover from my router sled project so I put a mustache on the saw. I put some blue tape on the saw itself then super glued the mustache to the blue tape. Big improvement in dust collection and I can easily remove it later if necessary. Best part is I can bevel the saw and change the blade without having to remove the mustache.

B7DAFB65-EB8F-4CA8-87F1-9CAB6524B0FF.jpeg

Got a herringbone, err it’s a chevron pattern, floating LVP floor to install after I’m done with the countertops. Something different. I welcome the change. It’s Lifeproof so I’m not worried about the quality but damn I gotta put this in a trailer with stuff already built in it. I’m not complaining, I’ll take this over a spiral floating carpeted stair job😁. Prolly be next week before it’s done but I’ll put up some pics.

C8F7995B-E42D-40EB-AB00-7682A69A938A.jpeg
6A80E44F-0F42-49CB-84D1-46AE409E4735.jpeg

Last edited:
Really!! I never heard of that before. Don't it kind of leave a mess inside the toaster?
No. I don't put a ton of butter on so it soaks into the bread as the bread heats up. One side of the toast is softer though, but I don't mind. I actually like my toast softer, but I like the toasted flavor & the way the bread smells when toasted.

CJ, that is a very creative solution, and the herringbone pattern is beautiful!

I've been busy taking care of Mom while recovering from food poisoning. She kept changing her mind about what she would and would not eat. She kept sending me to the store to get stuff she suddenly wanted after telling me she didn't want it. I'd asked before going to the store & she was offended I even asked. I deliberately didn't buy some of the sugary stuff she wants but told her "I forgot" because I'm trying to help her keep her blood sugar in normal range. When she wasn't able to eat anything too solid, I got her tapioca pudding because I remember she loves tapioca. Her eyes lit up and she just ate the last one out of the pack. She wants me to get more the next time I go to the store.

She had a doctor's appointment yesterday and my brother had one today. I drove both of them to their appointments. She doesn't drive much, and my brother was hacking stuff up the whole ride there and back. He tested negative for Covid but he's still got a bronchial infection. I started some more cleaning and had a good amount of trash picked up but needed a break. One of the dogs chewed the bag open near the bottom. I both of them trying to dig stuff out.

I haven't really figured out how to use the new air fryer yet and need a magnifying glass to read the manual. LOL. I've been absolutely exhausted. Internet kept going out so I started playing with Sketchup more. I created a version of my mother's bathroom as it currently looks (although with a LOT less clutter). I couldn't find some of the models to put in. The shower actually has a metal rack space saver type thing screwed to the wall above the surround on the side wall opposite the one with the controls, but I didn't put that in. I also did my guesstimate of the trim details at the top of the wall (most likely to compensate for panels not being tall enough to reach the ceiling). I didn't measure or check the angles so its all just my guessing.
This is a crappy photo of the actual detail. Redneck crown molding or something I guess. It goes at an angle, then goes horizontal maybe half an inch or more and then vertical, and then at an angle again. Picture next to it is my Sketchup version (couldn't get the pattern or color matched exactly, but its the closest I could get).
1675826470109.png1675826622980.png

Here are the other sketches showing how the room looks.
1675826665624.png1675826682992.png1675826704798.png1675826716827.png
Now, just imagine that with a green toilet but without the birch shelving and white cabinet. Oh, and ugly filthy beige carpet. It originally had this nasty beige carpeting in there.
I did a version with the new shower put in and I'm trying to decide on grab bar & trim locations. Debating whether to have the grab bar above or below the controls. I also couldn't get the showerhead right in either of them as I couldn't find the right 3d model. Old one is just a handheld on the shower arm. New one will have a fixed showerhead with an attached slidebar that is 19" long.
1675827022426.png1675827045709.png1675827057953.png1675827073897.png
The shower curtain is different too, but I did the best I could with the available tools. I also need to figure out how to make the vertical grab bar longer. The real one will be 4'.
Pros of grab bar above trim- don't have to worry about plumbing in the wall when doing the blocking, hose for handheld won't interfere with controls, controls won't be in the way of whatever stuff is in the grab bar's shelf. Cons- forces me to have the controls lower so grab bar can be low enough to be used or grab bar might end up being uncomfortably high, & hose might get in the way of the stuff on the shelf.
Pros of grab bar below trim- hose should not get in the way as much, allows controls to be higher. Cons- will have to make sure blocking does not conflict with water supply lines, might end up too low for comfort (bc trim still needs to be low enough that the handheld can be reached on the slidebar).
Any thoughts on grab bar above or below controls?

I grew up in a small town. Talkradio did not exist here.
You had to stay up past 10pm
😁. It wasn't political like what people think of today when the heat "talk radio"
If you were ever abducted, poked and prodded by aliens, this was your place to call in and tell the glorious or gorey details.
If you believe in chemtrails or bigfoot, Art was right there with you asking questions as you told your story. Area 51stories were talked about too.
If you've listened to any of Coast to Coast AM with George Noory, he's today's successor.

Last edited:
I still remember my father telling me that there are no space aliens because our government was far too disorganized to pull off keeping it a secret and that Area 51 was a test site for classified prototype weapons & aircraft. He did tell me about a declassified project called "Project Stargate" that studied "remote viewing". They had a guy who could look at a photo and then focus and visualize the location and report what the surroundings (not pictured) looked like in great detail and was able to pinpoint locations. Helped to rescue someone who was being held prisoner. Don't know if it was legit or if he found out the info some other way and pretended to be getting it from some sort of astral projection where he would project his mind to the location and see the area around. At some point some religious fanatic was put in charge and he thought any sort of ESP, clairvoyance, etc was "evil" and he shut the project down.

I still remember my father telling me that there are no space aliens because our government was far too disorganized to pull off keeping it a secret and that Area 51 was a test site for classified prototype weapons & aircraft. He did tell me about a declassified project called "Project Stargate" that studied "remote viewing". They had a guy who could look at a photo and then focus and visualize the location and report what the surroundings (not pictured) looked like in great detail and was able to pinpoint locations. Helped to rescue someone who was being held prisoner. Don't know if it was legit or if he found out the info some other way and pretended to be getting it from some sort of astral projection where he would project his mind to the location and see the area around. At some point some religious fanatic was put in charge and he thought any sort of ESP, clairvoyance, etc was "evil" and he shut the project down.
Go on Wiki and read about operation "North Woods".

I would sure appreciate getting a detailed drawing like that.
Give me your address, want it signed? 🫣
It's more detailed than necessary I suppose but with this many angles and that much material to figure once we measured up it makes it easier to estimate base, where seams will be etc. I can do that later instead of at the house. It also helps if the customer later changes portions of the job from carpet to lvp. I use a scale when I draw it up at the job but then I redraw it with more accuracy when I get home or down to the shop the next day. I don't need to draw every single measurement on to the new drawing, just the most important ones. I use an engineer scale, usually the 40 50 or 60 scale. It works really well on graph paper. In a stretch, the 60 will fit on graph paper and not a lot of houses get over 60 ft.
When drawing this up at the house I'm measuring, it lets you focus on some of the details that you might miss if you just threw a tape measure two directions and wrote down the square footage then moved on to the next room.
Using a laser to measure with is the only way this is possible. If you're slinging a tape measure back and forth through all these measurements it would get crazy.
I'm already crazy so I don't need that 😁

Last edited:
I'm glad I can't do drawings like you do Zan. I'd be a month on every layout I draw for the shop.
This is plenty too much as is. 😁
....but everyone likes um.
No need for a computer, your drawing is as good as it gets!

But if you ever feel like messing around there are some really easy programs out there without getting too over complicated..

Give this one a peek... It's kinda fun!

https://www.smartdraw.com/floor-pla...84An65_8pj79Iot4R0RyWFw19QboOzEhoCHGIQAvD_BwE

I've had an orcon glue gun for quite a long time, actually two of them over time. The first one was 80 Watts the second one was 100. They're able to pump out a lot of glue when needed. The size is a little awkward and the only real problem that I've had is as they start cooling the hot glue sometimes backs up into the glue stick entrance hole. It forms a little mushroom. It's inside the gun but outside of the heating chamber. When it backs up and hardens, then the big wad of glue outside the heating chamber can't get forced into the gun and you have to take it apart. If the glue stick is long enough, sometimes after the gun is heated you can pull the wad out the back of the gun.
Anyhow with my new stairs ready to start, I figured it's time to add a new one to the collection. It's a hot melt glue gun........it says it right there on the gun in large letters. That right there makes me feel confident I made a good purchase. It's 38 or 39 bucksworth of Chineseum which I was a little nervous about, but does get really hot and the Trigger action feels fairly decent.
If you look closely there's a little Chrome sticker that says:
QC PASS. That right there gives me a little more confidence 😁
It did heat up relatively quick, and it's supposed to be a 150 watt gun.
You can vary the temperature from 140 to 220 C and they even give you a cute little screwdriver because you know who has a screwdriver? 😁 It does have a handful of tips with most glue guns do not have so that's kind of a neat little benefit to have so many long tips. The tiny one, third from the left to right with the stainless steel tip is so small I could probably use it to put sequins on my leotards....
....ooops 😱
The exit hole is less than a 16th of an inch on that one. The three longer straight tubes very from 1/16th to 3/32
I'm going to plug in my orcon and this new one, let 'em heat up for 10 minutes and see how much each one will dispense, pumping in full strokes before the flow begins to low down.
So far because of the size alone I think I like it better than the Orcon gun.

Attachments

• PXL_20230209_055427690.jpg
    PXL_20230209_055427690.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Cutting Corian today. That’s some messy stuff if you don’t have dust collection. Even with dust collection hooked up I still get dust escaping at the blade itself between the shroud and the material. I’ve tried a few different things over the past few months to cover that gap but nothing has stuck as a universal fit and fix yet. If I put a solid piece of something over the gap, while it does work quite well, I have to remove it to bevel the saw and change the blade. It’s been buggin me for a while now what to do but I think I found the solution today.

I had a piece of 4” bristle skirting leftover from my router sled project so I put a mustache on the saw. I put some blue tape on the saw itself then super glued the mustache to the blue tape. Big improvement in dust collection and I can easily remove it later if necessary. Best part is I can bevel the saw and change the blade without having to remove the mustache.

View attachment 16241

Got a herringbone, err it’s a chevron pattern, floating LVP floor to install after I’m done with the countertops. Something different. I welcome the change. It’s Lifeproof so I’m not worried about the quality but damn I gotta put this in a trailer with stuff already built in it. I’m not complaining, I’ll take this over a spiral floating carpeted stair job😁. Prolly be next week before it’s done but I’ll put up some pics.

View attachment 16244View attachment 16243
Somehow I skipped right over these pictures of yours. Since msli hasn't jumped on my request, maybe you could do some stairs like this for my customers. Kind of pisses me off I don't have access to a place like that to work and play. If I had something like that to work in for the last 40 years I don't know if I'd be building race engines, picture frames or tea cup coasters, but I sure as hell would have been building something.
The woodworking you do is something I've never really been around.

The only thing I haven't figured out is how to make rubber face mask that looks like me so MSLI can wear it while he's carpeting the stairs. 😁
Watching Mrs. Doubtfire I see 😂

MSli is not your guy 😝….. haven’t done any spiral steps in a long long time. Any chance to convince them into bound runner style ? I’ll try to find a pic. Sorry 😢 that’s the only one I found in my collection.

Attachments

• ADF7662D-D93B-4DB4-ACE4-E0AD8A2C66AD.jpeg
    ADF7662D-D93B-4DB4-ACE4-E0AD8A2C66AD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Watching Mrs. Doubtfire I see 😂

MSli is not your guy 😝….. haven’t done any spiral steps in a long long time. Any chance to convince them into bound runner style ? I’ll try to find a pic. Sorry 😢 that’s the only one I found in my collection.
Same here. I did a set 30 years ago.....
....this one. 😁
Now I'm so old I forgot what I did 😱

Latest posts

Back