What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regreased my front wheel bearings yesterday. Bearings were good but it was time. I'll feel better when driving out of town on measures. I finally got to put my Harbor freight low profile racing jack to the test.
Wow, so much nicer than my old POS steel jack. 7 pumps instead of 45 to raise the front wheels off the ground.

Worked on my bathroom w/ my friend. Took about 5 hrs (including assembly of my table saw). Too exhausted for details.
Picture of the shower
1688409288448.png

Last edited:
I made the mistake of eating beef stew from a local place yesterday morning and my digestive system has been wrecked since. They went heavy on the onions. I knew it had onions and that it would not sit well with my stomach, but its sooo good. Normally they use fewer onions though. Doesn't help that I have meds with digestive issues as a side effect. The combination is not helping. As a result, I haven't been productive.

Got a curbside pickup order later in the afternoon and am waiting to see if the Pepto kicks in so I can work on the caulking.

Got up early to work on my bathroom. Used a pin punch to sink some of the brad nails a little (some were sticking out just a tad and had sharp edges), attempted to caulk but was like a monkey with a football. Hook on the caulk gun kept snagging on my shirt, glove tore, I kept dropping tools (including the loaded caulk gun), and generally made a mess. I started out on the very top where stuff won't be visible though. Hopefully that will help. Still need to do a lot more but got frustrated and overheated so I'm taking a break. Was going to nap but brain won't let me.

I went back and did more caulking. Almost done with it but my tube ran out. I made breakfast for Mom and am resting my back with the heated massage pad. I only need to do some touch-up on the top (trying to make sure any moisture/water that gets up there will be directed into the shower), baseboard in front of the tub, and around the shower control escutcheon because it doesn't sit tight on one side.

After I get all of the calking done I'll clean up and then try to get the caulk out of my hair. I really need a haircut anyway.

I opened up a new tube and finished up. Much cursing about the alleged "no-drip" caulk gun. That caulk didn't just drip, it drizzled all over the damn place. Good thing I covered the tub spout. I'll have to do more cleanup later. I gave up on the gloves and decided to use my bare hands because the glove fingertips kept sliding and giving me grief. Finger worked better anyway. A little spit on it and it made things smoother.
It's not anywhere near perfect, but I'm OK with how it turned out.

I got the top and bottom of the baseboard caulked. Will see how it holds up and if I need any more touch-up caulking. Next is primer for the PVC trim that I didn't pre-paint. Then painting & touch-up painting with the satin finish paint. I'm going to have plastic and tape up the wazoo for that part. Maybe even use some of that cardboard-like paper to protect the floor. Then cleanup and shower curtain goes up. Got some hooks for the back curtain rod (once I put it back up) and will put a rope on my back scrubber. Going to order new foot scrubbers. Debating what to do about shampoo & body wash storage. I only use 2 bottles- my shampoo/conditioner combo and the bodywash/facewash combo.

Picture of the current setup-- need to remove the tape from the tub spout, but the tape saved it from the jizz drizzle from the caulk.
1688597122327.png
Had to go to Walmart with Mom after her doctor's appointment so my back really hates me right now. I'm about to take a well-needed nap.

I don't even want to know what our electric bill is with how hot it has been and how the AC has to run constantly.

Some of the caulk shrunk when it dried so I will have to do some touch-ups. A tiny spot around the control flange, almost the entire bottom of the baseboard, a small spot on the left side between surround and tub, and a bit up top in some areas.

A tip… When done applying a section of caulking hit the button to release the pressure on the tube. That will help with the dripping.

Tip no. 2. Probably too late but when applying the caulking around the top of the tub fill the tub with water first. If there’s any flex in the floor the weight will drop the tub down a smidge. Also use tape on tub and wall before caulking. Remove immediately while caulk is still wet.. Helps for a nice straight line and a neat job..😎

Last edited:
I opened up a new tube and finished up. Much cursing about the alleged "no-drip" caulk gun. That caulk didn't just drip, it drizzled all over the damn place. Good thing I covered the tub spout. I'll have to do more cleanup later. I gave up on the gloves and decided to use my bare hands because the glove fingertips kept sliding and giving me grief. Finger worked better anyway. A little spit on it and it made things smoother.
It's not anywhere near perfect, but I'm OK with how it turned out.

I got the top and bottom of the baseboard caulked. Will see how it holds up and if I need any more touch-up caulking. Next is primer for the PVC trim that I didn't pre-paint. Then painting & touch-up painting with the satin finish paint. I'm going to have plastic and tape up the wazoo for that part. Maybe even use some of that cardboard-like paper to protect the floor. Then cleanup and shower curtain goes up. Got some hooks for the back curtain rod (once I put it back up) and will put a rope on my back scrubber. Going to order new foot scrubbers. Debating what to do about shampoo & body wash storage. I only use 2 bottles- my shampoo/conditioner combo and the bodywash/facewash combo.

Picture of the current setup-- need to remove the tape from the tub spout, but the tape saved it from the jizz drizzle from the caulk.
View attachment 17177
Had to go to Walmart with Mom after her doctor's appointment so my back really hates me right now. I'm about to take a well-needed nap.
Just a heads up, it’s most likely not the no drip calk guns fault. It’s usually an air bubble in the tube of calk that’s the culprit.

Thanks for the tips. I was using 2 hands to guide the caulk gun and couldn't get to the release lever fast enough. Last time it made a huge mess but I managed to not get any in my hair. I had lysol wipes and shop towels handy to clean up.

The painting went better, I taped everything up, got really thin crappy plastic up (stuff that the painter's tape sticks to and the plastic tears if you try to remove it). So, got a tangled mess bc it stuck to tape, but the plastic did its job when I did primer last night. Did some touch-ups early this morning.

Fedex assholes called before 8am to ask if I ever got my package that they were supposed to deliver to my friend's house but didn't. Driver didn't take picture of delivery as proof (which he/she is supposed to do) and nothing showed up on friend's security footage. So, driver either took it to the wrong place or straight up stole it. I already got a refund and got the re-order. I reminded the person from Fedex that I preferred e-mail contact. I hate using the phone.

Cats supersoaked my favorite blanket so I rinsed it out in the sink and will put it in with a load of laundry later.

Primer is dry and I'm trying to work up the motivation to go to the workshop to get the paint. Rupert is sitting on me purring away. When I tried to walk by him earlier, he got on the cat tree, and climbed on my shoulder.

Edit: Painting is done and I took down all the tape and plastic.
This is the before with tape and plastic up (I need to take one with the tape and plastic removed)
1688753810533.png

Last edited:
Floor dude, wow! That looks like quite the job!

Pic of my bathroom currently (well, I moved the bag of tp off of the toilet after):
1688885328676.png
As predicted, my samsclub curbside order wasn't ready even remotely within the scheduled time. Was 11am to noon. It wasn't ready until 1:10pm. Mom was stuck on the crapper for almost an hour so I had to wait (she wanted to go with me). Went to eat at our favorite restaurant-- Flying Wok (formerly Panda but they had to change their name bc a Panda Express opened and people kept confusing them). Mom insisted on going inside to look for stuff. She made a list. Most of the stuff on her list I'd already ordered.

After she was done we went out and waited for curbside order but had to wait longer as someone had stolen the toilet paper off of our cart in the pickup area so the associate had to go grab another one from the very back of the store.

Met with my friend at Walmart. He needed gas in his car and needed roach killer bc a roach climbed in his daughter's ear. They have been keeping the place clean but the people next door are filthy so the roaches are coming from over there they think. It's a 100+ yr old house too so hard to get rid of stuff. HIs windshield cracked somehow so he needs a replacement in order to get an inspection sticker. Was quoted $350 to replace. Only half of a burner on his Samsung stove (purchased in 2020) is working now. And his car insurance company screwed him. The day his premiums were due they rejected his auto-payment. Within a few minutes of receiving notice, he paid and it cleared. So, it was paid on time. But, they claimed it wasn't and that it didn't get renewed until the next day. This meant it flagged with DMV as letting his insurance lapse so they fined him $700. I told him to talk to them at the DMV and explain what happened to see if they will be reasonable or not. He really should ditch that company. He's still paying $30/month for his ex's car insurance on a car he gave her that is still in his name. When she gets a ticket or in an accident that is going to come back to bite him.

Anyway, after we met up with him at Walmart and Mom got some chocolate muffins, we headed to his house so I could get my back scrubber, shampoo, & body wash.

Got home and unloaded the cold stuff and then dissected two rotisserie chickens. I'm probably going to rack out soon bc I'm tired.

They are good but I have to make sure not to eat many of them. My go-to snack now is the Nature's Valley dark chocolate almond & peanut granola bar. It has chocolate chips and one side is coated in dark chocolate.

I got my shampoo, conditioner, and back scrubber in from the truck and then mounted the tp holder. A pox upon whoever came up with a flathead set screw to secure the posts to the brackets. I had to get down on the floor and look up but my vision wasn't good enough to see the little line and I ended up scraping the wall trying to get the first one turned. But I'll be removing the holder at a later date and putting up wainscoting there. Had to use tape to hold the brackets in place while I tightened the screws.

First holes I drilled for left post were not large enough and a philips mounting screw stripped a bit and got stuck when I was testing if it would go into the wall easily or not. I had to take the driver out of the drill, put the "mouth" of the drill over the screw head, tighten it, and then pull it out. I was able to do that in reverse to get the screws driven in more before using a manual ratcheting screwdriver to get it secured the rest of the way.
1688912591826.png
I'm going to try to get the towel bar up and then see if the tub drains properly enough to take a shower.

Latest posts

Back