What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reminds of that velcro installed carpet. Only piece of it I ever saw was when someone wanted some repaired. I had no idea how to fix it.
Sometimes they think up new stuff.....
... It quietly disappears. Anyone seen those boxes of cut pile carpet tiles for the do-it-yourselfers?
How about that Mohawk carpet that doesn't need tack strip and has an attached foam back on it?

... It quietly disappears. Anyone seen those boxes of cut pile carpet tiles for the do-it-yourselfers?
How about that Mohawk carpet that doesn't need tack strip and has an attached foam back on it?
I installed hundreds, maybe thousands of yard of Kangaback carpet, when that was a thing.

Daris, that sounds like it sucks. Hope things go better for you.

Aww, birdies!!

I stapled up the cheap moving blankets I got from HF. They don't go all the way to the bottom of the window but that works out fine. They still block the sun, keep the heat out and the cats can sit in the windowsill without problems. I did catch one of the cats starting to claw but I said his name sternly and he stopped.

Was 100° when I went out today. Picked up friends and took them to Boot Barn. Male friend got new boots as a late b-day gift. Female friend fell in love with a cardigan on clearance but couldn't afford it so I added that to the tab and used a coupon I got via e-mail. Even with 9.94% sales tax the coupon took $30 off the price. Not too shabby. Went to eat afterward. Our favorite place is closed Tuesdays though.

Samsclub curbside pickup was fast because I showed up late. They hold stuff for 24hrs. Did in-store pickup for HD.

Porch light mysteriously came on after not working for years. Turned it off during the day. Went to turn it back on and it blinked off. Lowered the switch and it made a crunching noise and stuck. Friend said he thinks it probably has something burned inside. Ordered new switches-- this time they are rocker switches instead of toggle. Having them sent to friend's house so Fedex doesn't dick me around again.

How about peel & stick carpet? It was a thing in the mid 90’s.

Double-stick? was in on one job of that. Never caught-on around here.
I did it in my firstborn son's bedroom.

I'd guess I was involved with about 25-50K square yards total on a dozen or two installs. The pad alone was expensive-----more than the cheapest residential carpet at that time. Anyways, we did some law offices, executive suites, ballrooms/corridors/lobbies at very high end hotels, even a few movie theaters. Mostly that kind of money doesn't care about paying a huge installation premium. Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Newport Beach, even some Downtown office towers would use double stick in the Big Shot Wing. I liked it because we didn't have to use the knee kicker so much. When the patterns had to be twisted to align you had to use the crab and/or Power Strecher.

Double-stick makes WAY more sense to me that Conventional (stretch) in commercial applications. I know in my lifetime I've demoed many hundreds of thousands of yards, if not millions of yards of carpet over pad in offices. It's was just a HORRIBLE failure of dust and wrinkles almost everywhere.

Almost 7 years retired now but 10, maybe 15 years before that if they wanted pad under broadloom in a commercial setting it was double stick. I did mostly office buildings, some hotels.… And yes, it’s expensive. Not just the special pad but extra adhesive and extra labor.

We installed a lot of carpet tile with pad attached. Pretty nice stuff.

Last edited:
I loved carpet as a kid because it was soft and fun to roll on. As an adult with pets who has to clean up, I hate it. I'd rather have area rugs that can be thrown in the washing machine. If I could afford it (and if I could move all the furniture) I'd replace all the carpet in this house with vinyl plank or vinyl tile.

Extra car won't start. Even though my voltmeter still shows some juice, "smart(ass)" battery charger can't find the battery when I hook it up. 103 this afternoon, too hot to do much with it.

I feel you on that, Rusty. It was 100°F after cooling down slightly today. Hot AF. Went to the store and came straight home.
As an aside, I mentioned previously that I tried to patch the hole the mice chewed in the sheet vinyl. There was stuff sticking to the underside of the vinyl around the hole that I couldn't get to come off so it didn't go on smoothly and I had a hard time getting the little scrap piece to line up. It will be barely visible once the baseboard in front of the tub is in place though. I might seal the seam with clear caulk. I also primed and painted the trim I had to cobble together. It's not in its final place obviously.
1688010320643.png
The roll to the left is actually leftover vinyl sheet. I might end up needing to do seams in the guest bathroom in the doorway if there's not enough leftover vinyl from the other ensuite. Any tips on how to do that? I'm thinking if I could get the seam to be at a fake grout line it would work better. Not sure if that will be possible though. And that project is aways off. Need to finish this one first, then clean up the kitchen.

How about peel & stick carpet? It was a thing in the mid 90’s.
They LOVED that crap out here in SoCal. I did this high school..............not that long ago. No one will use the peel n stick anymore------SCHOOL DISTRICTS-----way too much failure. It's all glued down now.

Attachments

• IMG_2085.JPG
    IMG_2085.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2179.JPG
    IMG_2179.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2111.JPG
    IMG_2111.JPG
    977.5 KB · Views: 0
When was Kangaback popular?
I started installing in '75 and with the exception of flooring forums, I'd never heard of it. Was it an east coast and midwestern market?
I installed a bunch of it in late 80s and early 90s. I loved installing it. Just cut it to fit and it stayed in place. No glue, no tape, nothing. Did not even need to tape the seams.

They LOVED that crap out here in SoCal. I did this high school..............not that long ago. No one will use the peel n stick anymore------SCHOOL DISTRICTS-----way too much failure. It's all glued down now.
Oh Lord. If I get sent out to measure up that one, I'll pass go and leave town, never to be seen again 🫣

I measured Popeyes house yesterday. it's about 25 miles south.
Over the years I've seen him many times. He's there waving every time I drive by. He guards the gate and lives in a 3 wide manufactured home on about 5 forested acres...
...less than 10 minutes from the marina.

Attachments

• PXL_20230628_191920821.jpg
    PXL_20230628_191920821.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
I've been having to contact cs for Fedex and HD because Fedex misdelivered (or possibly stole) my HD order AGAIN. I had it sent to my friend's house this time bc I figured it would be easier and less hassle. No, they claimed to have delivered but didn't take a picture as proof and the security camera shows no signs of deliveries. Of course they probably won't admit it like last time. HD already refunded my $ but I had to reorder it.

I've been having to contact cs for Fedex and HD because Fedex misdelivered (or possibly stole) my HD order AGAIN. I had it sent to my friend's house this time bc I figured it would be easier and less hassle. No, they claimed to have delivered but didn't take a picture as proof and the security camera shows no signs of deliveries. Of course they probably won't admit it like last time. HD already refunded my $ but I had to reorder it.
I'm thinking right now I would change my phone number and move two states away, never mentioning anything to anyone.
Problems solved. 😁

I received an automated e-mail from Fedex saying they have a case pending. Last time they closed the case without really doing much. I had photos proving they never delivered to my house but they claimed it was delivered properly. I'll see how things go with the new order.

I was exhausted from heat. Mom woke me up just before 11 and wanted me to go to the post office and to grab her some meds from Walmart. It was only 85°F but it felt hotter. Afterward I racked out.

Latest posts

Back