What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scored another new (to me) bike last week from a customer. He’s a repeat customer of about 10 years I known him. Had this fat boy in his basement for about 10 years. Said he’s too old to ride anymore and wanted it out….. yup, I can do that. Lol. Gave me a cherry deal too! Great guy

My dog hates it. 😂
IMG_1813.jpegIMG_1818.jpeg

It takes good water pressure to make those ceiling mounted rainshower heads to flow well.
He has pretty good water pressure now. My concern is if he gets two rainshowerheads like he wants, one will get more water than the other. There's also the matter of trying to figure out how to add in a handheld showerhead and getting the right diverter. Plus, he drilled through the surround for the lower part of the rainshower's slidebar so there will be a hole. I don't think what he wants is really practical- or at least not affordable within his budget. But if it isn't too expensive and we can figure it out, I'll help him figure out how to set it up.

Talked to Amazon CS about my package that has been sitting in TX since the 20th. It was sent out from TX, went to two towns in California, then back to the origin in TX and then sat there. CS assured me it would arrive within 48hrs. Meanwhile, my samsclub order was never even sent. They gave a tracking # but according to Fedex, they never sent the package, just created a label for it.

Cleaned up the hallway, cleaned the side of my tub and the floor near it, patched where the mouse chewed a hole in the sheet vinyl. Its ugly but hopefully it will be hidden by the baseboard.

Went into town to try to find the part that was supposed to come from amazon (well, something similar at least). No luck. And its not sold at the big box stores either. Checked mail (empty) and grabbed a sandwich from walmart. I forgot to get gas. I'll have to do that next time I go in.

I just picked up my new mode of transportation today---A friggin walker. Another freedom almost gone.
It's a badge. Use it proudly.
....and don't be a tough guy. If you think being seen with a walker is embarrassing, it's better than tipping over and breaking something.
.....ask my aunt. She's fallen a number of times and tho she still bounces back, she uses her walker religiously now. She's about 90 and I wish I had her smarts. She's doing well.
If time has come for a walker Daris, please use it.
I've watched my own capabilities change. I'm still upright and walking. I have two jobs coming up that are going to test me. 120 yards in a new home and a large kitchen and dining room in LVP that includes a lot of prep.
Once done, if I get work, it's all gonna be restretches and small stuff. My time has come.
I measured up a large triple wide home yesterday for the shop.
Just the measuring beat me up. In 3 hours, I probably put in 4 miles in back and forths. Glad there was a kitchen island and chairs to set up home base.
I almost ran the battery out on the laser. The first is the general orientation of the three sections, not to scale. The other is probably accurate to 2 inches.

Attachments

• PXL_20230623_043247146.jpg
    PXL_20230623_043247146.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230623_044002943.jpg
    PXL_20230623_044002943.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
He has pretty good water pressure now. My concern is if he gets two rainshowerheads like he wants, one will get more water than the other. There's also the matter of trying to figure out how to add in a handheld showerhead and getting the right diverter. Plus, he drilled through the surround for the lower part of the rainshower's slidebar so there will be a hole. I don't think what he wants is really practical- or at least not affordable within his budget. But if it isn't too expensive and we can figure it out, I'll help him figure out how to set it up.

Talked to Amazon CS about my package that has been sitting in TX since the 20th. It was sent out from TX, went to two towns in California, then back to the origin in TX and then sat there. CS assured me it would arrive within 48hrs. Meanwhile, my samsclub order was never even sent. They gave a tracking # but according to Fedex, they never sent the package, just created a label for it.

Cleaned up the hallway, cleaned the side of my tub and the floor near it, patched where the mouse chewed a hole in the sheet vinyl. Its ugly but hopefully it will be hidden by the baseboard.

Went into town to try to find the part that was supposed to come from amazon (well, something similar at least). No luck. And its not sold at the big box stores either. Checked mail (empty) and grabbed a sandwich from walmart. I forgot to get gas. I'll have to do that next time I go in.
Do you live out in the middle of knowhere? I see our UPS trucks out off the beaten track all the time. Never heard of delivery issues like that around here.

It’s been raining pretty damn good all week here, I had to goose it pretty damn good just to get up the driveway to the house today. Thank goodness I have limited slip. All this mud got me thinkin I’m so glad I don’t install carpet anymore cus that would just be a nightmare.
imagejpeg_0.jpeg
IMG_3419.jpeg

Worked for the owner of the local Rock company 30 some years ago. The owner's house looked exactly like that. There were big mud puddles in front of the garage door so they had 2x12's spanning the puddles, so that workers could carry in their tool boxes. It wasn't a small rock company either.

Do you live out in the middle of knowhere? I see our UPS trucks out off the beaten track all the time. Never heard of delivery issues like that around here.
Yes. We joke that people will hear banjos when they come out. I'm in the middle of a wildlife reservation area with timber company owned lands on 3 sides of my property. But the delivery people in our area are also very lazy. I once saw a UPS driver loading some stuff into his truck. He was literally throwing boxes with the fragile symbol on them into the truck. He was trying to get one onto a shelf. It kept bouncing off and falling back down and he kept picking it back up and throwing it.

Csason, wow! That is a lot of work! It's tough enough to cut around squared off things but having to follower that curved counter must have been tricky. Great work! I tried to comment over on Instagram but it wouldn't let me. LOL.

My circular driveway used to be completely paved with rocks. When we moved back, the rocks were gone and I couldn't help but notice the neighbors had their driveway paved with the exact same rocks. Pretty sure I know what happened there.

Today is my friend's birthday but he's having stomach issues so we're taking a rain check on taking him out to eat and looking at some new work boots. His are literally falling apart. Sole fell off for at least the 3rd time.

Weather shows its 98°F but feels like 111. Still not feeling great today and the heat is not helping. I need to get stuff out of the truck if it gets below 95.

Went to a clients home yesterday to see how my unorthodox Drop-N-Done plank installation is holding up. It might have been Easyplank, I don't recall.
This is the 1/4 inch plank flooring that has no tongue and groove. It's recommended installation that is to just lay the pieces in place and fit them tight to the wall and tight to the cabinets and tight everything so they can't move.
This was a mobile home installation a year ago. The floor was soft and bouncy particle board. I cut 14, 12 inch wide openings in the floor between joists to add additional cross supports. Weirdest installation I've ever done.
...........after being 3X over my estimate, he asked:
Can you put that flooring on a wall?
🫣😲😱😱😱
.....absolutely, I replied. 😁
...ok, ......I didn't say that.
It did happen, and it is possible tho.
Anyway, I spent 3 hrs passing the BS with Bob and flooring looks like I installed it yesterday.
I have an installation coming up for a 35 year loyal customer.
I wanted to see Bob's year old installation to see if all was well (no issues). It was all well, so I plan to do this new install the same way, with the same products as I used on Bobs job.
A side note:
A month ago Bob called me in a semi angry tone and said the planks I installed were curling up on the ends.
I replied:
"Go F@#k yourself, Bob"
He laughed so hard 😁
The floor was fine, he just called to update me on his health issues.
I worked off and on there for almost 3 months installing his flooring, between measuring installs for the shop.
Bob is in his late 80s. We've become relatives in a way. He worked for a plywood mill in his earlier years. He had the #1 job at the mill, operating the peeler. At the same time, he also had a ceramic business and raised and sold exotic birds. Even Amazon's for quite a few years.
He's been selling some special parakeets for many years now. One, is his own personal breed. He's sold these to dealers all over the US and beyond ...even Egypt.
Very interesting fella with unending stories. I'm betting not many installers are lucky enough to have a customer relationship like this.
He's an old codger and he'd laugh if I called him that.
Here's a handful of his latest hatch.
Last year, they raised over 150.
When he gets 5 to 9 mating pairs sold, he and his partner will drive 5 hours to Portland, and put them on a plane. Less than 24 hours later, one pair of birds will arrive in New Mexico, another pair in Florida, another in South Dakota......or wherever. He sells breeding pairs to dealers, not the public. Very interesting fella. Late 80's and has lived on the same property his entire life.

Attachments

• PXL_20230625_213250012.jpg
    PXL_20230625_213250012.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
This is the 1/4 inch plank flooring that has no tongue and groove. It's recommended installation that is to just lay the pieces in place and fit them tight to the wall and tight to the cabinets and tight everything so they can't move.
I did a job just like that about 20 years ago. First time I saw any kind of vinyl tile that didn’t require adhesive. It was imported from somewhere, very expensive, 20” X 20” ( or close, they were metric). It was heavy with a soft honeycomb design backing, I guessed to create friction to keep it from moving. Installed in a coffee room in an office space. Theory was to “go green”, no adhesive. I said to myself this will never work… But I never got a call back… Never installed or saw the product again either so I dunno…

We installed that stuff one time in a restaurant and we ended up going back and perimeter gluing it down because it was moving due to all the chairs being scooted around by people. I’ll bet if we installed it ‘tight’ we prolly wouldn’t have had any problems.

Latest posts

Back