What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rust is part of living on the coast for sure. It is more evident around windshields and fenders but it doesn't rot the frames like that wet salt spray that coats the underside of cars. If I built a house over there, I'd embed a sprinkler system in my driveway so the underside of the car would get rinsed off every time I came home.

Damn good idea. They have underbody sprays at car washes to rinse off all that crap and there’s always a line around the block in the winter for it. I can see why people become snow birds. I’m halfway there.

That floor looks great! The speckled pattern is very pretty.

I don't even want to know how rusty stuff is on my vehicle, but I don't live near the coast. When we lived on Guam, the vehicles were supposed to have some special undercarriage coating to protect them from the sea air.

This morning one of my cats knocked the handset phone over, stomped on it so it pulled up menu options and somehow disabled the ringer again. I don't know how to turn it back on and I went through the menu on it. Last time the ringer got turned off accidentally it was over a year before it got set right-- by a cat stepping on it. LOL. Maybe I should just put it under the cats and let them fix it for me again. :D

Rusty, I hope you get feeling better!

The damp cold air is not making my lungs feel good today. I really need to get my windows replaced-- or at least the one that has a missing chunk that I've patched with foil tape.

I was thinking of going to the store to look for something I saw yesterday and see if it is still for sale. Didn't see it on the website, but a lot of stuff at my local store is not listed. Need more litter for the kitties, although Gravy Jones doesn't want to let go of my arm.

Twas sorting time for stuff on the shelves in the work room. Years ago when I rebuilt my second 350, I recall ordering a second rear main bearing..... I probably had to buy the whole set, but I have no clue where the rest of them went.
I think I might have worried too much about damaging one of them and bought another set.
Why I have another set of new rod bearings on the shelf is beyond me.

Attachments

• IMG_20231123_004321013.jpg
    IMG_20231123_004321013.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231123_004306343.jpg
    IMG_20231123_004306343.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231123_004223471.jpg
    IMG_20231123_004223471.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231123_005842805.jpg
    IMG_20231123_005842805.jpg
Up on that shelf were some of my old exhaust valves. I'd had the machinist install some fancy stainless valves in my old factory heads.
I bought a bare set of heads from Summit a few years later and had the machinist install larger than stock exhaust valve seats for the larger valves that I bought. I reused the intake valves from my old heads because they only had 20,000 miles on them.
I of course saved my old exhaust valves. It's surprising that the price hasn't changed much in 25+ years. I think these were 12 or 14 bucks then and now they're 18.

Attachments

• IMG_20231123_005940830.jpg
    IMG_20231123_005940830.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231123_005842805.jpg
    IMG_20231123_005842805.jpg
Twas sorting time for stuff on the shelves in the work room. Years ago when I rebuilt my second 350, I recall ordering a second rear main bearing..... I probably had to buy the whole set, but I have no clue where the rest of them went.
I think I might have worried too much about damaging one of them and bought another set.
Why I have another set of new rod bearings on the shelf is beyond me.
Do you plan on also replacing the oil pump while the pan is down?

When I bought the new heads and fancy valves, I also heavily modified the shape of the intake ports. A book I had showed a machinists scale drawing with an angled port opening instead of Chevy's rectangular shape........ 80 or 90 hours later 🙄........ I took these to my machinist so he could complete the valve grinding and install the valves. He gave me the highest compliment ever.
"Randy, would you quit reading books"
😂😂😂
That said, the powered increase was very noticeable but it didn't hurt my mileage.
The slightly larger exhaust valves made the engine sound better. It had a lower note than before.
Here's the can of shavings I ground out of those heads. Hey, I put a lot of sweat into those shavings..... I can't throw my memories away.
....and it's worth $230/ton. Im a bit shy of that 😁
Here's one of the port opening templates and a couple other MavGyverings it took to accomplish my project. Those were some fun days. I wish I had the money to build up the engine in my S10s V6......... It uses the same sized exhaust valves and rod bearings as my 350...... So I've got a start. 😁

Attachments

• IMG_20231123_010831819.jpg
    IMG_20231123_010831819.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231123_010822969.jpg
    IMG_20231123_010822969.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231123_010336352.jpg
    IMG_20231123_010336352.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231123_010222694.jpg
    IMG_20231123_010222694.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231123_012258457.jpg
    IMG_20231123_012258457.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I'm not rebuilding, just rememiscing.
Chevy oil pumps last almost for forever.
My S10 has 288,000 and has #58 at cold startup.
I was just under 300K on my '87 S10 when I I sold that one and bought a '93----same engine, same 8' bed but it had the Tahoe package. I bought that Sold that one a few years back with just under 300K again. I bought that Tahoe S10 in 95 with ~35K on it.

The '87 had a 3/4 ton suspension the Tahoe was 1/2 ton. You could really tell the difference with a load.

What year is yours? Did you buy it new?

I was just under 300K on my '87 S10 when I I sold that one and bought a '93----same engine, same 8' bed but it had the Tahoe package. I bought that Sold that one a few years back with just under 300K again. I bought that Tahoe S10 in 95 with ~35K on it.

The '87 had a 3/4 ton suspension the Tahoe was 1/2 ton. You could really tell the difference with a load.

I almost have the same one rolled into one. It's a 93 with a 1988 4.3 engine and 700r4 tranny.
At some point, the 2.8 and 5 speed was removed. After 93, they started making the Vortec 4.3 and both power and mileage increased a lot. The engine changed too with the addition of "real" fuel injection instead of the throttle body. Mines easier to mess with mechanically, but the electronics are OBD1. Less easy to tune if you modify anything.
It ranges from 14.5 to 21 mpg. It's a beater, but runs fine.

I had no idea they made a 3/4 ton. They don't like any sorta carpet on them for stability reasons.

Still decomposing the closet..... This 12 volt fridge was in there. I got it free somewhere. The hot wire came loose was all. I plugged it in to my Radio shack power supply to see if it worked.
I t runs, but a six pack in there and in never got cold.

😂

Actually it looks like it will hold 6 tall ones or a 6 pack of 12oz cans.
It's been running for an hour and got a waded up paper towel down to 35 degrees, so it works, but not sure what it's good for.
......it has a warm switch too, I'll have to check that out.

Attachments

• IMG_20231125_155516721.jpg
    IMG_20231125_155516721.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231125_155530812_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231125_155530812_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I went back to the store but the stuff I wanted was gone. Ended up getting some food and more throw pillows. They work for lumbar support and to appease kitties and doggies. Gave a couple to my brother since he loves pillows. He started using them right away.
Before I got home I stopped at TSC to get some cow feed. Saw a cat tree I'd been eying was on sale for $99. Not bad for a 6' cat tree. Decided I needed to do major cleaning & to clear a spot for the new cat tree. Cleaned, moved old cat tree on to the kitchen table, cleaned more, broom broke off-- had it for over a decade & the metal under the sheathing rusted. Had to go back to the store to get another broom. Grabbed some ice cream to treat myself. Fed the cows, rolled the box with the cat tree up the steps, across the porch, into the house, through the front room, through the kitchen, and then up on to a cooler so I could open it more easily. Got it assembled-- which took awhile. Cats kept sitting on parts, knocking things down, climbing on the unfinished tree, etc.
Bethesda wouldn't get out when I went to move it into place. Aminatu wouldn't get off the cushioned tier when I was trying to put it on. So I set it on the bolt and spun it with her on it until she decided to move to a different tier where she discovered the dangling mouse toy.
1700984847732.png1700984758765.png
I hauled out quite a bit of trash and the kitchen looks nicer-- even though the floor is hideous. Now my back hates me so I will probably rest all day Sunday.

I had no idea they made a 3/4 ton. They don't like any sorta carpet on them for stability reasons.
Well the 3/4 ton suspension did make a huge difference with heavy rolls of carpet as far as stability. The ass end would swing around with the 1/2 ton even if the roll was not so heavy.

Well the 3/4 ton suspension did make a huge difference with heavy rolls of carpet as far as stability. The ass end would swing around with the 1/2 ton even if the roll was not so heavy.
Worked at one store in the 80s where a guy could get 200 yards of carpet and pad on an S 10. I could only imagine how squirrelry it handled.

What I wouldn’t give for a decent running old school VW caddy. I know you can still find them but just like the busses, you’re gonna pay for one. I’m talkin 1980ish, diesel with a manual transmission. 45+ MPG!!!

I’d put a canopy on the back and prolly some roof racks on top. I’m sure after I load the damn thing up with my saws n stuff that it sure as heck won’t be getting that kinda mileage anymore but even if it got 30 mpg that’s double what I’m currently getting.

Worked at one store in the 80s where a guy could get 200 yards of carpet and pad on an S 10. I could only imagine how squirrelry it handled.
I was asked to do the seams in 24 new rooms at the Bandon Dunes golf course. It's about 20 miles south of me. I suppose I made 8 trips down there, each time with five 21' rolls of carpet... So 140 yards per run. Yeah, to rode smooth. The carpet was a very dense patterned woven wool material. I was down there for over a month. All I did 🙄 was cut the carpet pieces to size, align the pattern locations in the rooms and put the seams together. The job just about did me in..... I'd never think of working on a job that size again unless I was advising and supervising.
...the truck had no issues even with a few long uphill grades.

Found a 3 pack of these for a buck at the DG. They’re great for making cut lists. Some guy in front of me found something out on the sales floor for a penny. Don’t know what it was but he was tickled pink about it. The cashiers were peeping back n forth like a couple chickens about it. I guess it’s a thing. I just sat back and took the whole experience in. What a great day.

IMG_3868.jpeg

The rust is part of living on the coast for sure. It is more evident around windshields and fenders but it doesn't rot the frames like that wet salt spray that coats the underside of cars. If I built a house over there, I'd embed a sprinkler system in my driveway so the underside of the car would get rinsed off every time I came home.
I actually know a guy that has a system for when he pulls in his garage. Like the car wash

Latest posts

Back