What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve driven across the US a few times in my van as well as living in NC and working in PA for a few years. How do you think I put so many miles on my van. I worked for a guy years ago that ruined 2 or 3 driveways with his box van and I’ve seen him pay to have the concrete jack hammered up and repoured. Had a roommate that had a leaker that left a nice sized stain in the street in front of our house. The landlord blamed it on my van simply because I had an older van so it just had to be my fault. So yeah, I pay to make sure I don’t have a leaker.

I’ve had many, sooo many, tickets through the years but never got one in any of my vans.

I have driven across Canada coast to coast in

87 Toyota Tercel with 350Km on it
86 Hyundai Stellar 350km
95 dodge neon with 240 km
92 Honda civic with 330km on it
07 elantra with 228 km on it

A few of those cars when back and forth a few times and the only one to ever give me trouble was the stellar. I lost hub, spindle and bearing.

I'll drive anything across the country :)

For the record, we are talking coast to coast in Canada and for anyone who has never done that it is 5800 kilometers. The fastest i ever did it was in 68 hours.

I think I have done that drive ten times I think.....
Why would you do that? Are you afraid of trains? 😁

Replacing the intake and rocker gaskets this weekend. What have I gotten myself into. 🙈 4.3s are a PITA. To many things to remove.
I'm sure hoping that the water leak I had was the intake gasket and not the head gasket. That would mean removing the engine. That ain't gonna happen.
......thats what stop leak is for.
Took lots of photos during disasembly....... hey, it's got to get put back together. and these ought to help.

Attachments

• PXL_20210828_201112592.jpg
    PXL_20210828_201112592.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20210828_201101018.jpg
    PXL_20210828_201101018.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20210828_211513150.jpg
    PXL_20210828_211513150.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20210828_201048351.jpg
    PXL_20210828_201048351.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20210828_215509262.jpg
    PXL_20210828_215509262.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20210828_201138014.jpg
    PXL_20210828_201138014.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 13
Took the rocker cover off nearest the leak and it was amazingly clean. I haven't taken the passenger side one off yet but since I have a gasket I think I'm going to. It will be interesting to see if the other side is equally clean.
The lifter valley is a different story.
On the bright side, this old 1988 engine has a roller cam. That's probably why the truck still runs. Uses about quart of oil every 1000 miles. Not bad for 264,000 miles.
It's 240,000 to the moon, so I'm on my way home.

Attachments

• PXL_20210828_224247508.jpg
    PXL_20210828_224247508.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20210829_003803173~2.jpg
    PXL_20210829_003803173~2.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 13
Thanks guys,
CJ, I don't blame you on that bs from them about your oil pan. I'm glad they have never pulled that on me. I go to a local tire shop where they don't screw customers bc they want repeat business. I admit, I wouldn't go there when they had one of my brother's friends working there bc he doesn't listen & messes stuff up. But he didn't last long there. Too many mistakes & they fired him. He also talked back & refused to listen to instructions. As soon as he was gone I went to get my oil changed. I provide the oil and filters myself so I knew what was put in. I get the Mobil 1 Annual stuff. I'm actually due for a transmission fluid change and some filter changes and other maintenance though-- but not gonna happen with this storm going on.

Looks like it adjusted back east again. Now they think it will go way east of Alexandria. I'm southwest of Alexandria.

Someone on the houserepairtalk forum sent me a link that shows all of the wind patterns over the entire planet. I'm watching the storm pretty much live as it beats the hell out of the very tip of Louisiana's toe. Boothville-Venice, Buras, Grand Isle, & Golden Meadow are getting thrashed.
https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-89.65,28.91,4367If you click over a spot it will tell you the location and the speed of the winds. It's over 120mph over the areas on the east side of the eye.

This map shows predictions but doesn't show that it is already pounding towns more to the east (the Boothville-Venice and Buras ones).
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.451...7m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m3!15m2!1m1!1s/g/11rw_rgn09

I've been waiting to see this for over a year. It's got a rather slow intro, but actually fitting for the unveiling.

If anyone doesn't think YouTube pays well....
....well it does. 😁
His for fuel tanks are labeled'HATERS TEARS'
WD's YouTube channel is basically him destroying stuff.
A lot of times it's some very nice stuff. That said, is his stuff and he can do whatever he wants with it. Some people get really pissed off and give him all kinds of crap when he slowly destroys a brand new truck, taking it to it's very limits. They hate him for destroying a brand new truck and they hate him saying that he could have given the truck to somebody that needed one and stuff like that.
So he named his four fuel tanks HATERS TEARS. 😁

Last edited:
Thanks guys,
CJ, I don't blame you on that bs from them about your oil pan. I'm glad they have never pulled that on me. I go to a local tire shop where they don't screw customers bc they want repeat business. I admit, I wouldn't go there when they had one of my brother's friends working there bc he doesn't listen & messes stuff up. But he didn't last long there. Too many mistakes & they fired him. He also talked back & refused to listen to instructions. As soon as he was gone I went to get my oil changed. I provide the oil and filters myself so I knew what was put in. I get the Mobil 1 Annual stuff. I'm actually due for a transmission fluid change and some filter changes and other maintenance though-- but not gonna happen with this storm going on.

Looks like it adjusted back east again. Now they think it will go way east of Alexandria. I'm southwest of Alexandria.

Someone on the houserepairtalk forum sent me a link that shows all of the wind patterns over the entire planet. I'm watching the storm pretty much live as it beats the hell out of the very tip of Louisiana's toe. Boothville-Venice, Buras, Grand Isle, & Golden Meadow are getting thrashed.
https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-89.65,28.91,4367If you click over a spot it will tell you the location and the speed of the winds. It's over 120mph over the areas on the east side of the eye.

This map shows predictions but doesn't show that it is already pounding towns more to the east (the Boothville-Venice and Buras ones).
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.451...7m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m3!15m2!1m1!1s/g/11rw_rgn09
Weather channel shows it swinging to the east.

That's a neat map Zan. I wish I had more controls so you could change it to miles per hour and slow down the graphics. Maybe there is and I just haven't figured out where they're at.

Rusty, our power went out last night so I couldn't track the storm until the power was restored a few hours later. It turned way more east than I'd expected. Looks like it was hitting Mississippi. I hope Frodo is ok.

It completely missed us so no idea why the power went out. Our power company is not in the affected area. I have friends down south who lost power, water, & have trees down but are OK. Best friend's gf's brother is in Raceland. His car broke down just before the storm so he couldn't evacuate. Last I heard his roof had blown off and rain was pouring in to his trailer.

Highup, I looked for those sorts of controls too and didn't see them. I know I could click the Earth thing to get some options but mph wasn't one of them.

My brain is still foggy this morning. I'm about to take my meds and then wait 45min to eat (have to wait after taking thyroid meds). I'm not sure if any stores will be open because I think some people evacuated thinking the storm was hitting here.

The areas that got hit will need all the help they can get.

Has anybody here ever worked for FEMA before. I never have but I’ve heard tales of people going and making bunches of money doing this kind of work. Or at least that’s what I’ve heard people say. Prolly like working on a crab boat. I went to school with a buddy that did that one year on a crab boat and he didn’t go back the next. Money must not of been that good of money for the hell that I imagine working on a crab boat is. I knew a couple guys personally that went and did some FEMA work after a hurricane maybe 20-25 years ago and they were gonna make a ton of money but after they got back and I talked to them they didn’t really make all that much money. Maybe it was more about going for the experience of doing something like that. Might as well go on a mission handing out bibles in Belize. I’d be willing to do that for free just for the vacation part of it.

Latest posts

Back