What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m so sick n tired of listening to air compressors! If you’ve got 3 guys hooked up to the same compressor and that thing is running non stop. Add a leaky air hose to the mix and it’s almost continuously running. You’re working in the basement, yeah it’s still loud down there and it’s vibrating through the ceiling as well. I bit the bullet and mounted my big compressor in my van yesterday. Not sure if that’s gonna be the final location but we’ll try it out for a week and see how I like it. I’ve got plenty of extension cords and air hoses that I can run to the power source and the house. Should quiet things down a bit.😁

71052153194__22FFD123-AA58-4AE6-8E52-334319C5D818.jpeg

The air compressor sound is pretty loud.

I got my towel bar mounted. Got the left bracket a little too far away at first & had to move it over. No studs and no tongue and groove behind so it didn't stay on and I had to use metal drywall anchors. My mini ratcheting screwdriver broke (fell apart and bits that make it function scattered). Will have to see if TSC has another one. I really like that thing. The base unscrews to hold drivers of different types.

Took a shower in my own bathroom for the first time in over a decade. It's so nice! Hot and cold are reversed though. I think my friend put the cartridge in wrong. He has the same valve and trim but we got him the valve that came with the tub spout rough-in pre-attached and they had it upsidedown so his cartridge is in different than mine. It's a simple fix.

Water came out hot right away which it has never done before in the history of my living here. Good pressure and tub drained well. I used the handheld to rinse the tub out afterward. Anti-slip mat is hung up to dry. I need to find a good spot for my bath slippers (the ones I put on right after getting out of the tub to help dry my feet.

This has to be planned out carefully. I see they are bullnosed but this is a tweed or axminster that has had a professionally bound to form fit. I would get a lot of money for that
Yeah, I patterned every step for the turns. That was the top flight, but there were 3 total flights of stairs. Pain in the butt, but turned out nice.

I’m so sick n tired of listening to air compressors! If you’ve got 3 guys hooked up to the same compressor and that thing is running non stop. Add a leaky air hose to the mix and it’s almost continuously running. You’re working in the basement, yeah it’s still loud down there and it’s vibrating through the ceiling as well. I bit the bullet and mounted my big compressor in my van yesterday. Not sure if that’s gonna be the final location but we’ll try it out for a week and see how I like it. I’ve got plenty of extension cords and air hoses that I can run to the power source and the house. Should quiet things down a bit.😁

View attachment 17193
That’s neat and handy for all your jobs that let you park right up close… Don’t wanna drag all your hose through the mud either… How about ear plugs?

View attachment 17193
I don't spray anything with it but I have tested with my SENCO SKS 1/4" to staple down underlayment in a small bathroom.... 6 by 8 plus two small offsets. I think I waited 4 x for it to refill. Not made for that, but it weighs #75 less than my 5 gallon 3 hp Makita 5200.
This lil thing just purrs. One of my best tool buys. Made for trim work, not framing, roofing or painting. It's about 25 lbs .
There are two larger Q series compressors. They still aren't end at a framing nailer but....
If you know the job you're working on, you don't need to have to great big heavy compressor into the truck if you're just going to shoot a bunch of brad nails.

I've heard Makita is a good brand.

I racked out before 11pm last night and didn't wake up until after 6:30am. I must have been more tired than I thought.

That’s neat and handy for all your jobs that let you park right up close… Don’t wanna drag all your hose through the mud either… How about ear plugs?

99% of the time I can back up pretty damn close to the house, maybe even get lucky enough to poke the vans ass end inside the garage itself. That’s kinda nice when it’s raining.

Getting to the power source is another story. I have a pair of rubber muck boots that I can put on if I have to trudge through the sticky ass red clay they have here. Dragging 100’ of 10 gauge cords through that is always fun. I had to run 2 separate runs of 150’ of 10 gauge cords on a job maybe a month ago, uphill, both ways. No way of not getting dirty when it comes time to rolling them up at the end of the day.

Makita compressors are nice! They put out decent CFM for their size and are quiet about it. They ain’t cheap though. Kobalt compressors are surprisingly quiet as well. Mine made some noise but I barely heard it while I was working today. Makes for a quieter job site, don’t have to turn the radio up as much to hear it.

99% of the time I can back up pretty damn close to the house, maybe even get lucky enough to poke the vans ass end inside the garage itself. That’s kinda nice when it’s raining.

Getting to the power source is another story. I have a pair of rubber muck boots that I can put on if I have to trudge through the sticky ass red clay they have here. Dragging 100’ of 10 gauge cords through that is always fun. I had to run 2 separate runs of 150’ of 10 gauge cords on a job maybe a month ago, uphill, both ways. No way of not getting dirty when it comes time to rolling them up at the end of the day.

Makita compressors are nice! They put out decent CFM for their size and are quiet about it. They ain’t cheap though. Kobalt compressors are surprisingly quiet as well. Mine made some noise but I barely heard it while I was working today. Makes for a quieter job site, don’t have to turn the radio up as much to hear it.
When I was doing new construction homes we were required to own our own generator…. Another pain in the a$$ thing to lug around. I was doing primarily carpet. Just had to run the irons and electric tackers. They didn’t pay very well. Got outta that quick.

That 3 hp 5200 wasn't all that old or it was kept up really well, I bought it at a pawn shop $170. I just looked on Amazon and they have a prime day sale $450 delivered. Yes I got lucky finding this one at the pawn shop. I don't need a compressor this big but the price was right. My 1993 Emglo kicked the bucket halfway through installing some wood flooring. I needed one like, right now, and went to the pawn shop just to see if they had something. They had a red pancake, maybe Craftsman and this big roll around monster.
I plugged in the pancake and holy crap are those things loud.
I didn't want the big one but I came back the next day just to look at it again. I plugged it into the 16 gauge 50 ft extension cord that they had outside where it was displayed and that little blue green monster purred right to life. No way would my Emglo start on a 50 ft 16 gauge cord. I'll have to admit that once you get the thing out of the truck and onto the ground those wheels make life easy.
I had to go look at the current prices for the Mac Q100, the little one gallon compressor. 240 bucks? How about mine a year and a half ago and I paid $170 ??? ......no, it was a "last year's model" I might only paid $147 or $157. This is from our local tool store, they sell jet and Makita and Porter-Cable. It was definitely a good buy.

Last edited:
Because of furniture moving, I have my brother working with me on a carpet job. We did the living room on hall 6 or 8 months ago. It's an apartment but this is the residence of the owner. They stay here when they're in town and not one of their mansions over in the valley or the one in Arizona. Life Is good, right?
Anyhow, yesterday we got started on the small room it's a one piece drop which may seem like a 2-hour job if a guy is movin. Though the room is only 11 x12 there's a lot of stuff in it, the hardest part was three commercial clothes racks on 3-in wheels. The owner said they would roll out the door opening so I thought this would be a piece of cake rolling these three fully stocked clothes racks down the hallway into the kitchen.
....well, they didn't fit under the door trim. 😞 We drove back to the shop and grab my four Harbor Freight dollies and crossed our fingers. I unbolted the wheels at each end and lowered it onto the dollies. When going through the doorway I had to step down on the dolly to compress the carpet enough but yeah, it barely worked. They were also some dressers, a small TV, and a two-door file cabinet, a bunch of hats and shoes, the mirrored closet doors. Just an awful lot of paraphernalia in that little room. I took some measurements and some pictures so we can put things back relatively close to where they came from. Can you do one, drop bedroom and one day by yourself? I can't. 😁. The carpets in the room ready to start stretching so it won't take long now but then we have to put all the stuff from the second bedroom into the first bedroom so we can do that one.
Rather then move the stuff from the first bedroom back in to place it would be easier in a shorter distance to slide stuff out of one bedroom into the other temporarily. This bedroom is only 12 by 14' 6", but the bed has a 6 and 1/2 ft tall mirrored oak headboard that's about a foot thick plus two side pieces, making it nearly the width of the room. We've got to disassemble the bed, separate the headboard from the two side pieces and this bedroom is going to have a ton of shoes and other stuff to move. The owner was a prominent lawyer in town he's got more suits and shoes and Steve Harvey 😁. I can't begin to imagine the size of the closets in his other homes.
Age is definitely getting to me that plus lack of installing has gotten me out of shape more quickly than I would have expected.
A month ago I had two days doing the house restretch. Aside from that, just house measuring for the shop.
I'm expecting, any day now a phone call saying "the house is ready"
It's three bedrooms and a living room. It's a.patterned carpet and it has some stone tile to fit to, all the way across the living room, the width of the master bedroom and all the doorways. I think about 45 ft in all. There's about 16 stairs getting up to the main level of the house from the garage so all the tools, carpet and pad we'll have to go up the stairs also. This job and an lvp job that is also ready are going to be my two last large jobs. I'm sticking to the little restretches when the opportunities arise.

Because of furniture moving, I have my brother working with me on a carpet job. We did the living room on hall 6 or 8 months ago. It's an apartment but this is the residence of the owner. They stay here when they're in town and not one of their mansions over in the valley or the one in Arizona. Life Is good, right?
Anyhow, yesterday we got started on the small room it's a one piece drop which may seem like a 2-hour job if a guy is movin. Though the room is only 11 x12 there's a lot of stuff in it, the hardest part was three commercial clothes racks on 3-in wheels. The owner said they would roll out the door opening so I thought this would be a piece of cake rolling these three fully stocked clothes racks down the hallway into the kitchen.
....well, they didn't fit under the door trim. 😞 We drove back to the shop and grab my four Harbor Freight dollies and crossed our fingers. I unbolted the wheels at each end and lowered it onto the dollies. When going through the doorway I had to step down on the dolly to compress the carpet enough but yeah, it barely worked. They were also some dressers, a small TV, and a two-door file cabinet, a bunch of hats and shoes, the mirrored closet doors. Just an awful lot of paraphernalia in that little room. I took some measurements and some pictures so we can put things back relatively close to where they came from. Can you do one, drop bedroom and one day by yourself? I can't. 😁. The carpets in the room ready to start stretching so it won't take long now but then we have to put all the stuff from the second bedroom into the first bedroom so we can do that one.
Rather then move the stuff from the first bedroom back in to place it would be easier in a shorter distance to slide stuff out of one bedroom into the other temporarily. This bedroom is only 12 by 14' 6", but the bed has a 6 and 1/2 ft tall mirrored oak headboard that's about a foot thick plus two side pieces, making it nearly the width of the room. We've got to disassemble the bed, separate the headboard from the two side pieces and this bedroom is going to have a ton of shoes and other stuff to move. The owner was a prominent lawyer in town he's got more suits and shoes and Steve Harvey 😁. I can't begin to imagine the size of the closets in his other homes.
Age is definitely getting to me that plus lack of installing has gotten me out of shape more quickly than I would have expected.
A month ago I had two days doing the house restretch. Aside from that, just house measuring for the shop.
I'm expecting, any day now a phone call saying "the house is ready"
It's three bedrooms and a living room. It's a.patterned carpet and it has some stone tile to fit to, all the way across the living room, the width of the master bedroom and all the doorways. I think about 45 ft in all. There's about 16 stairs getting up to the main level of the house from the garage so all the tools, carpet and pad we'll have to go up the stairs also. This job and an lvp job that is also ready are going to be my two last large jobs. I'm sticking to the little restretches when the opportunities arise.
I had a bunch of small apts. at the end. Otherwise I would have been forced to retire years earlier.

Saw this funny story on the news. 97 year old woman finally bought want she wanted. A big John Deere lawn tractor. And she was cutting her own yard with it. She walked pretty good too. She said she rides it every day.

Rusty, one of my late elderly friends used a riding mower to get around his yard. He was still gardening at 89.

I've been sleepy and sore the past few days. Had to unload a bunch of water cases and my body didn't want to cooperate after. Today I forced myself to clean. Hallway, kitchen, litterboxes, took trash out, etc. I planned to do more but my left arm crapped out on me. I still managed to cook shepherd's pie. Well, my version of it. Mom doesn't like veggies in it so it's meat, cheese, & potatoes with lots of butter. I added a couple of eggs to see how it tasted.

Tomorrow I need to get more litter & other stuff.

Latest posts

Back