What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If that door fit before, but doesn't now, first check to see if all your hinge plate screws are tight. If those screws become loose, the door will begin to sag within the frame, and cause issues opening and shutting the door. Also, if your brother decided to take a break from taking out the trash, and leaned on the door for a few minutes, it is possible he may have bent the hinge, which is easily corrected. I don;t mean to "cap" on your brother, but i know you do much more work around the house than he does, and IMHO, should share in the responsibilities or running the house.

Changed the back door at the Islip shop yesterday… What a can o worms!

Building is over 100 years old with some serious settling going on. Like the leaning tower of Pisa…. That I knew, what I didn’t know was how rotted out it was underneath. Ended up just throwing some pressure treated under for support,

pounded right into the dirt… Joists were moving quite a bit. Wish I was a better carpenter but it will have to do…

This is all that was left of what was holding up the old door and my attempt at fixing it. And the finished product. If you look at the brick molding on top you can see how crooked the building is… The door and sill are level and plumb.

Coulda used CJ’s help on this one… Took all day and then some just to get the door set…Ugg… Still got some trimming and painting to do…

IMG_9072.jpeg

IMG_9061.jpeg

IMG_5984.jpeg

Carefully…LOL

I was able to get in there and under the interior floor through the space between the deck and the floor, where the door will go.

Attachments

• 8126E0F4-DB43-4E47-B80A-E2DF9D5D9837.jpeg
    8126E0F4-DB43-4E47-B80A-E2DF9D5D9837.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Havasu, it was not shutting properly before I painted it. Awhile back it was having problems with the lower part sticking out too much and we had to put in longer screws on the bottom hinge and tighten the screws down. That worked, but I suspect the frame is not secured properly. Back in 2001 the neighbors broke the original doorframe when they broke in to steal stuff and we had to get it replaced. The jerks that did it charged $400 and didn't even do it properly. The threshold flexes quite a bit and it wasn't put in square. We've had to make adjustments. Although, now that you mention Doofusaurus, he did beat the hell out of the door the day before I primed it because he was trying to kill wasps on it. He was swinging a 25lb bag of cat food at them. It may have messed up the hinges. I have replacement hinges in a plastic bin outside.

JPfloor, wow! I'm probably going to have to do something like that with my back door threshold. I know it is rotted.

Daris, that is a great idea! Now I wish I'd purchased that long handled thing I saw at Walmart but the didn't have any attachments for it. I wonder if it is still there... I'll need to find a compatible brush. I saw a kit with extending pole for $95+ on Amazon. That seems pretty steep to me.

I just googled and saw this and laughed. No way would I be able to control a brush like that.
1691264577070.png
I got a 2nd coat of primer on and sweated my ass off while doing so.

I have a package that is supposed to be in town at the post office but USPS lost it. I went in there and showed the tracking # and was told to ask for a refund on it. I'm about to lose it on all the problems I have with getting packages. Went to Walmart to get more sandpaper, some salads, & some stuff. Saw they had watermelon cut into chunks. As I was checking out, a man behind me was having trouble because he was buying ice and a cheap styrofoam cooler. He didn't have the $5 for the cooler and his card only covered the ice. I bought the cooler for him so he could put his ice in it. He thanked me profusely before leaving.

I did sand the top of the door before doing the 2nd coat of primer and got it to shut all the way. I'm going to sand it and the frame more aggressively before I do the final coat of paint and I will be taping the top to make sure no paint gets on it when I apply the Behr paint. I'm also planning to use some paintable wood filler in some spots to smooth it out more & fill in some gaps.

This is what the door looks like now:
1691264919955.png

Last edited:
... I'll need to find a compatible brush. I saw a kit with extending pole for $95+ on Amazon. That seems pretty steep to me.
Definitely don’t need a hundred dollar model. There’s a bazillion of um on Amazon or I’m sure at Walmart too.

This one’s nice with the hose attachment.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Adjust...846&sprefix=Extension+br,aps,266&sr=8-31&th=1
Or even cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/SetSail-Adju...1691265126&sprefix=Scrub+brush,aps,103&sr=8-7

Thanks, JP! I don't have a working hose outside and I have one like the RV brush. Super soft bristles. I'm thinking of getting the extension pole from Walmart and then getting a $15 brush attachment. Although, I suppose I can price out the pole for the brush attachment I saw. This brush is for siding: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B72DTZQB/

Saw another pole that was around $35 that has comfort grips and extends to 12'. Might be a good investment so I can do more cleaning on the side of the house.

I have a pressure washer somewhere but don't know if it needs to be hooked to a hose or if I can just fill it with water. It was in pieces last time I saw it. No idea where it is now.

Any fight fans in here? Anyone see the Paul Diaz fight last night?

I hate Jake Paul but I gotta give it to him for putting the spotlight on boxing again. I am interested in seeing Paul in the octagon with Nate. Nate will be in his own world and do his thing.

A couple weeks ago my son and I met and had breakfast with gentlemen Gerry Cooney. Very cool guy and a certified ball buster. IMG_1904.jpeg

Any fight fans in here? Anyone see the Paul Diaz fight last night?

I hate Jake Paul but I gotta give it to him for putting the spotlight on boxing again. I am interested in seeing Paul in the octagon with Nate. Nate will be in his own world and do his thing.

A couple weeks ago my son and I met and had breakfast with gentlemen Gerry Cooney. Very cool guy and a certified ball buster. View attachment 17356
He was a great contender losing only to Holmes, Spinks and Foreman-------all World Champs. His weakness was he had almost nothing coming from his right side. He could land a right it but there was no power behind it. The left hook was world class though and got him through a lot of really strong "journeyman" fighters. They were mostly all exciting fights.

I paid some attention to the recent heavyweight division, mostly the Tyson Fury fights. I used to follow any lower division fighters-------Duran, Hearns, Hagler, Pryor.............those were the names when I was excited about boxing. I think it's too long between fights now and the competition from UFC took a lot of the BIG money away which siphons off talent. They lose me with the Octagon. I really think the Marquis of Queensbury rules allow for quite enough brutality and brain damage. I cant enjoy watching kicks to the head, elbows, gouging................we were taught to "fight fair" which essentually was the Marquis of Queensbury rules. So the way my generation enforced that on the kids was that kicking, pulling hair, biting........that was fighting like a girl. To the best of my recollection when the fight devolved down to the ground------grappling------that's when the crowd would break it up. We were OK with standing toe to toe and bloodying up noses, black eyes and loosening up teeth. But once you were down in the dirt we just didnt want to see that. Context is everything here though. I'm talking about a slice of American culture at a fairy specific time, mid sixties-eighties suburbia. It's an entirely different world today.

Last edited:
Havasu, it was not shutting properly before I painted it. Awhile back it was having problems with the lower part sticking out too much and we had to put in longer screws on the bottom hinge and tighten the screws down. That worked, but I suspect the frame is not secured properly. Back in 2001 the neighbors broke the original doorframe when they broke in to steal stuff and we had to get it replaced. The jerks that did it charged $400 and didn't even do it properly. The threshold flexes quite a bit and it wasn't put in square. We've had to make adjustments. Although, now that you mention Doofusaurus, he did beat the hell out of the door the day before I primed it because he was trying to kill wasps on it. He was swinging a 25lb bag of cat food at them. It may have messed up the hinges. I have replacement hinges in a plastic bin outside.

JPfloor, wow! I'm probably going to have to do something like that with my back door threshold. I know it is rotted.

Daris, that is a great idea! Now I wish I'd purchased that long handled thing I saw at Walmart but the didn't have any attachments for it. I wonder if it is still there... I'll need to find a compatible brush. I saw a kit with extending pole for $95+ on Amazon. That seems pretty steep to me.

I just googled and saw this and laughed. No way would I be able to control a brush like that.
View attachment 17354
I got a 2nd coat of primer on and sweated my ass off while doing so.

I have a package that is supposed to be in town at the post office but USPS lost it. I went in there and showed the tracking # and was told to ask for a refund on it. I'm about to lose it on all the problems I have with getting packages. Went to Walmart to get more sandpaper, some salads, & some stuff. Saw they had watermelon cut into chunks. As I was checking out, a man behind me was having trouble because he was buying ice and a cheap styrofoam cooler. He didn't have the $5 for the cooler and his card only covered the ice. I bought the cooler for him so he could put his ice in it. He thanked me profusely before leaving.

I did sand the top of the door before doing the 2nd coat of primer and got it to shut all the way. I'm going to sand it and the frame more aggressively before I do the final coat of paint and I will be taping the top to make sure no paint gets on it when I apply the Behr paint. I'm also planning to use some paintable wood filler in some spots to smooth it out more & fill in some gaps.

This is what the door looks like now:
View attachment 17355
Those wasps you mentioned might be after spiders or bugs caught in their webs. Cleaning the webs away might get rid of that problem.

He was a great contender losing only to Holmes, Spinks and Foreman-------all World Champs. His weakness was he had almost nothing coming from his right side. He could land a right it but there was no power behind it. The left hook was world class though and got him through a lot of really strong "journeyman" fighters. They were mostly all exciting fights.

I paid some attention to the recent heavyweight division, mostly the Tyson Fury fights. I used to follow any lower division fighters-------Duran, Hearns, Hagler, Pryor.............those were the names when I was excited about boxing. I think it's too long between fights now and the competition from UFC took a lot of the BIG money away which siphons off talent. They lose me with the Octagon. I really think the Marquis of Queensbury rules allow for quite enough brutality and brain damage. I cant enjoy watching kicks to the head, elbows, gouging................we were taught to "fight fair" which essentually was the Marquis of Queensbury rules. So the way my generation enforced that on the kids was that kicking, pulling hair, biting........that was fighting like a girl. To the best of my recollection when the fight devolved down to the ground------grappling------that's when the crowd would break it up. We were OK with standing toe to toe and bloodying up noses, black eyes and loosening up teeth. But once you were down in the dirt we just didnt want to see that. Context is everything here though. I'm talking about a slice of American culture at a fairy specific time, mid sixties-eighties suburbia. It's an entirely different world today.

Yeah, both my son and I are big fight fans. I’m too old to fight anymore but my son is loving it! We live in a tiny town. He’s known as “little lightning” & is thoroughly enjoying the attention and respect at school (especially from the girls). Lol

We met Roberto Duran a month or so ago at the boxing hall of fame ceremony in canastota NY. Roy Jones jr is MC at a fight my son has next weekend in Rochester NY. Mickey ward is MC at the fight our club puts on in September, Carmen Basilio quest for champions.

Gerry Cooney was a great fighter. His style & stance were definitely unique to him. I always thought he was a bit flat footed. He’s a big boy so being light on your feet isn’t easy. Great guy though!

Yeah, both my son and I are big fight fans. I’m too old to fight anymore but my son is loving it! We live in a tiny town. He’s known as “little lightning” & is thoroughly enjoying the attention and respect at school (especially from the girls). Lol

We met Roberto Duran a month or so ago at the boxing hall of fame ceremony in canastota NY. Roy Jones jr is MC at a fight my son has next weekend in Rochester NY. Mickey ward is MC at the fight our club puts on in September, Carmen Basilio quest for champions.

Gerry Cooney was a great fighter. His style & stance were definitely unique to him. I always thought he was a bit flat footed. He’s a big boy so being light on your feet isn’t easy. Great guy though!
Yes, I agree he was great to watch as he didn't ever run or hide. He was there to fight.

My dad taught me to box and wrestle ------just the basics. We had the only pair of gloves in the neighborhood so I recall us sparring on the front lawn with all the kids on the block.

I boxed a few times as a teen. Then they wanted me to fight a guy who had won the Golden Gloves a few month before. I decided it was time for me to find another hobby.

From my experience, the girls always seemed to fight more viciously than the boys. But then the boys always had asinine ways of "fighting" around here. They would bump shoulders and push against each other while huffing and puffing and saying "boy". Never fought girls, but I did knock some boys on their asses. I didn't engage in the shoulder crap though. Won a few arm wrestling matches at least. I miss having arm strength. LOL.

I decided to get a broom and sweep off the area around the door up to where it juts out (and not any higher). Use da regular house broom and tried to get in the grooves as best as I could. I wanted to leave some webs for spiders to catch stuff and also wasn't confident in my balance and reaching ability to try to sweep up higher. I had to stand on a little stepstool thingy and was worried I'd fall if I had to lean back more. Eventually I'm going to try some disinfectant wipes or something on the siding because that worked on the walls inside my house.

Cleaned up in the living room and filled a bag with trash until I got dizzy and stopped. That was yesterday.

Today I slept in and am resting. Body is sore, arms not cooperating and I'm tired. Haven't been outside yet and not planning to go out until it is cooler.

Latest posts

Back