What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to my will work for food job to finish skim coat/prepping the fridge area so I coul put it back tomorrow.
I made it there and back, but I'm installing a water pump instead.
🙄 I got 45000 miles on it and it's an O'Reilly's lifetime warranty item. Yay!
Got the old one out. The bearing feels like new, but the weep hole has a rust trail, so the seal is failing.

Went to my will work for food job to finish skim coat/prepping the fridge area so I coul put it back tomorrow.
I made it there and back, but I'm installing a water pump instead.
🙄 I got 45000 miles on it and it's an O'Reilly's lifetime warranty item. Yay!
Got the old one out. The bearing feels like new, but the weep hole has a rust trail, so the seal is failing.
You got it just in time, probably. I have seen pumps last a while after the weep hole seeps. But better to change it before.

I'm glad I noticed it, when I go out and do measures for the store a lot of them are about 30 miles away either north or south. Much better to be 2 mi away from home when you discover the issue. Fortunately it didn't leave me stranded but I was able to drive to the job I was heading to an accomplish what I wanted to yesterday. It's about a 20 mile round trip.
Though my S10 with a 4.3 is a v6, it shares the same water pump at this bigger brother the Chevy 350. It's not as easy getting the bolts out on this little V6 because of clearance issues.
I guess if I got it out it's somehow going to go back on.

I'm glad I noticed it, when I go out and do measures for the store a lot of them are about 30 miles away either north or south. Much better to be 2 mi away from home when you discover the issue. Fortunately it didn't leave me stranded but I was able to drive to the job I was heading to an accomplish what I wanted to yesterday. It's about a 20 mile round trip.
Though my S10 with a 4.3 is a v6, it shares the same water pump at this bigger brother the Chevy 350. It's not as easy getting the bolts out on this little V6 because of clearance issues.
I hope. I remember taking the starter off my 89 Buick and then realizing it was almost impossible to line up the bolt holes.

I can barely think because of the heat. Went out early to try to do more cleaning on the siding. Got overheated. Was planning to tape stuff up but didn't.
Last night the dog attacked one of my older cats for no apparent reason. The kitty likes her and cuddles her but for some reason the dog got grumpy & jumped on her snapping and snarling. I yelled at the dog and apparently scared her so much she ran out of the house. I went out to try to get her to come back in and she kept running from me. I went into the workshop to get some stuff to bring up for painting. Dog eventually came back in the house with me and wouldn't let me near her until she got into the living room and couldn't get away. I let her see I wasn't gong to hurt her and held her on my lap while brushing her so now she's ok. Curled up against my leg right now.

Waiting on my friend's ex to come pick up the toddler so he can come out and work on electrical.

Setup a curbside pickup order for Samsclub but given they don't have stuff ready on time-- usually 2hrs after the end period for pickup-- I'm worried it won't be ready before the store closes.

Woke up at 3:30am because my brother was cooking something in the air fryer and re-used parchment paper that already had some sort of sauce he'd made on it from something he cooked previously. It had a really bad burning smell (but no fire) that woke me up. Went back to sleep and woke up at 8:30am but it was already too hot to do anything outside.

AC is not cooling as much as it should. 74°F when it is set to 70. Not sure why. I poured bleach down the condensate line and changed the filter. Perhaps the heat outside is more than it can handle. The ductwork being in a hot attic probably doesn't help either. Thinking of getting the attic spray foam stuff to spray between the trusses. Can that be done by DIYers?

Went to post office and then Walmart. Met up with my friend to get him gas and groceries. Picked up RX. On the way home around 4:45pm I my truck's thermometer said it was 105°F. The faster I go the lower the temp goes because it gets cooled off by wind. It was 103 in the shade.

I showered last night and used the 72hr deodorant but by the time I walked through the doors at Walmart (to go inside) I could already smell my armpits sweating.

Red wasps continue to swarm on the porch. Might get some cheap spray deodorant and spray it on stuff on the walls because it allegedly deters wasps. We've got the kind that make the mud nests and the kind that make the paper nests. Both suck.

Cooked for Mom and am getting ready for a nap.

Well, it went back on, no leaks.
It was a bit of a pain but I did something that made it easier.
There's two gaskets on the pump, one on each side and getting it up into place and having the gasket stay in place can be one of the difficult parts.
I put a small smear of permatex gasket sealer on one side of the pump and let it tack up while I had lunch. With a gasket now stuck to the pump side I put a thin film of wheel bearing grease on the other side and slipped it up into place then put in the bolts.
In theory, water pump gaskets and thermostat housings don't require any sealer. Instructions if you're lucky to get any, don't mention sealer on the gaskets.
There's a reason for that.
Sometimes you need sealer simply to hold the gasket in place while you install the part.
Well I had the pump off I noticed that the plastic idler pulley on the serpentine belt was kind of wonky so I replaced that with a new steel one.
Here's a couple pictures of the old one, looks like it was slowly collapsing. I think it's original to the truck, 288,000 miles? Not bad. 😁
The new one's going to outlast the motor.

Attachments

• PXL_20230808_015523632~2.jpg
    PXL_20230808_015523632~2.jpg
    601.3 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230808_015505370.jpg
    PXL_20230808_015505370.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230809_031056732.jpg
    PXL_20230809_031056732.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Just like the Pentagon and our nation's capital, in case of terrorist attacks, 7-Elevens must be protected.

Attachments

• PXL_20230809_205734278.jpg
    PXL_20230809_205734278.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Esplaine me this.
You pull away from a 4 way stop intersection and someone takes it upon themselves to make it a three way stop.
🤬
She was from Alabama, not familiar with the local streets.
She was driving straight into the sun at 6:30pm, so that didn't help.
The whole front end shifted and I don't know yet what got tweaked. Hoping the frame is ok.
Now, what's the insurance company going to do? I know at minimum, it will need a fender, front bumper and possibly a core support.
Surprisingly, the hood opens and closes relatively ok. I only drove it three miles home, so I'm not sure yet about the steering. I "think" it's ok. 🫣 It was getting dark so I didn't check the underside looking for movement. At least it's driveable.
Not a good end to the day. I'm glad I stabbed the brakes. If not, she would have nailed me in the center of the drivers door. It was a pretty good jolt.

Attachments

• PXL_20230811_031357252.jpg
    PXL_20230811_031357252.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230811_031348686.jpg
    PXL_20230811_031348686.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230811_031341805.jpg
    PXL_20230811_031341805.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230811_032056575.jpg
    PXL_20230811_032056575.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230811_032102694.jpg
    PXL_20230811_032102694.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230811_031749630.jpg
    PXL_20230811_031749630.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230811_031406104.jpg
    PXL_20230811_031406104.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
I've got a job to measure out of town tomorrow, I think the trucks drivable and steers okay. I might take the truck to a couple body shops on Monday to get some idea from them what the truck is worth, I know the insurance company isn't going to repair it.
They probably want to throw me 500 bucks and call it a total, but I put that money dollars in the rear tires back in February.
I have no idea what a good running beater pickup is worth around here. I'm sure the body shops could give me a high on low range that would be fair.

Latest posts

Back