What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my $7, 20' 10g cord. I love the Habitat near me.

Attachments

• PXL_20220211_003504428~2.jpg
    PXL_20220211_003504428~2.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220211_003426297.jpg
    PXL_20220211_003426297.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
.......or sox 50 footers. 😉
Sell them for scrap and buy a new engine for the van. 😁
Dang, 10 gauge musta cost a fortune.

I bought em a solid 10 to 12 years ago back when they cost somewhere around a buck a foot for a 10 gauge cord and I thought that was a lot back then. I’ve thought about how much I would have to fork out for new ones right now if these should happen to grow legs and walk away. That’s why I coil em up and take em with me at the end of the day.

For these 10 gauge cords I swear these are the only replacement ends that will work. I bought some others that I thought would work but most are 12 gauge max. Believe me I tried to squeeze n squish the wire in but nope. On the plus side they do have a handy gauge on the plug end so you know how much wire and cord casing to strip away.

IMG_3540.jpeg

No call back from my uncle so his wife must be hanging in there still.
My sister called last night to wish me happy birthday and sent an amazon e-gift card.
That will help with getting the new PSU. Still waiting for prime day on the 10th to order it. Also hoping I can get another gift card from Mistplay.
I brought over the parts that I have already to my friend's house so he put the motherboard, processor, ram, cpu fan, graphics card, gpu fan, etc all in to the new case for me. When the PSU comes and we make sure it has all the necessary connections I'll take the old cat-piss covered computer tower over & he'll disassemble it outside on the porch to get the hard drives and blueray player out to put in the new computer. I'll bring over gloves and rubbing alcohol for cleaning stuff.
Then I'll get him to help me mount the new case to the wall with a mounting bracket and get it all secured and then use some old glue-up surround that we tore down from my bathroom to make some shields to keep the cats from jumping on top of the computer or even being able to get up near enough to touch it or pee on it. I will also create some protection for my new UPS to keep them from coughing up hairballs on it or peeing on it.
I cooked for Mom yesterday but today I've felt cruddy. Got stomach issues and am out of Pepto Bismol.

Never heard that one.
Apparently I was wrong about my aunt. My uncle must have been too upset to call. Saw a post from 7hrs ago from my cousin that her mom passed away. Is it wrong that I'm relieved it happened today and not yesterday on my birthday? I didn't want my birthday to be the anniversary of her death & bring back painful memories for the family. At least she's no longer suffering. She'd been in a lot of pain and they had to knock her out with meds.

Never heard that one.
Apparently I was wrong about my aunt. My uncle must have been too upset to call. Saw a post from 7hrs ago from my cousin that her mom passed away. Is it wrong that I'm relieved it happened today and not yesterday on my birthday? I didn't want my birthday to be the anniversary of her death & bring back painful memories for the family. At least she's no longer suffering. She'd been in a lot of pain and they had to knock her out with meds.
I am glad for you that it was not on your birthday. My mom died the day before my birthday in 1987. I am reminded of it every year.

Yeah, sometimes I have to dig for something if it’s a stupid little job that will take me 2 minutes to do once I get to the tool. Luckily that doesn’t happen too often. When we’re doin bigger jobs it’s no problem because I’m already pulling everything out anyway. It’s the little ones that get ya. We’ve had a couple little jobs this week that have inspired me to work on my own game a little more. Take a guess at what you gotta move to get to my stair gauge 😂

View attachment 17631
When did you sneak over to my house & take a pic of my van? 😂

So my my local boxing club has been in need of a new enclosed trailer for a while to transport our ring and equipment around for shows/ fights.
A good friend of mine closed his shop a few years ago to “retire”. He had a nice 16’ that he used. I asked him if he’s still using it and if not how much would he like for it. He asked me if it was for the club & the kids. I said yes and he said he’d think about it and let me know. Called me later to tell me it’s ours! No strings attached.

What he didn’t know is we make enough money for the rent & to put on 2 shows a year for our fighters and our community. There’s not a lot of extra money. His donation helped us out tremendously!! My friend Frank is a legend in our local flooring community & also as a great guy to our local youth. Couldn’t be more appreciative to that man!

IMG_1988.jpeg

More on ext. cords.
If I were starting out, knowing what I know now, and if I often needed heavy extension cords over a distance, I might do this.
Max length of any cord-50'. Maybe shorter based on bulk & weight. Attach Velcro tie wraps for simply coiling. Alternate would be single strands of 12ga or 14ga wire to secure coils. Use 2 or 3 ties on each coil spaced evenly around to keep coils in neat bundles.
All cords would have 3-prong TWIST-LOCK connectors. These connectors would keep cords joined, provide more surface area contact inside the plugs (for better conductivity), & cut down on theft because they're not universally usable.
You'd need adaptors on the ends. For an adapter at the source end, use a cord long enough to plug in a temporary construction site power pole and still reach the ground (to take weight off the plug). The male end of this adapter might have a sideways plug to help stay in the outlet. The female end would be twist lock. If lots of trades are fighting over too few outlets, you could put a handy box on the female end of this adapter with 1 twist lock & a regular outlet. That way, no one should unplug you. (Box mount twist lock connectors cost more than the type for cords, so have a short cord with connector exit the box & just mount a standard outlet in the box.) For the tool end of the cord, you'll need a short wire with a male twist lock connector on 1end, & a 4-outlet box on the other end. If you add a short wire with a female connector on the other side this box, you could insert it anywhere 2 cords meet & have power along the way.
You'd need multiples of these adapters because the whole system wouldn't work if you misplaced the only one you have.
If you want to get really fancy, build a locking box to go around one of your pass-thru outlet boxes to hold your battery charger(s).
This is certainly not for everyone. Use part of this idea, all, or none.
THE MAIN POINTS are 1) make it simple to use; 2) making a quality set-up with more capacity than you think you need will pay off in the end; 3) find YOUR balance point between maximum quality & what you can afford.
Happy wiring,
Eddie

Sheesh. I wonder if any of them are cheaper with Prime day on amazon.

Brother is still sick but he managed to go to work anyway. Mom isn't feeling so great but can eat and keep stuff down.
I've got a back ache and am tired but otherwise OK.

Rained outside so kitties are all in and have been climbing on me. Gravy Jones is clinging to my arm. Last night Yasuke, Ginger, Itsy, & Boo all stepped on my head to walk from one side of the bed to the other. Went to sleep with Yasuke staring me in the face. Woke up and Boo was in his place. I had bizarre dreams but I can't really remember too much about them now-- just remember they were bizarre. I vaguely recall I was trying to find some socks.

Did some shopping on Amazon. Needed a longer computer cord, USB extension cord, etc. Ordered the PSU bc it went on sale and I used a $50 gift card from my sister. I earned another $50 gift card on Mistplay but it takes 48 hours to get it. I'll apply it to my account for later. Also ordered a router bit that does the flush cutting and has the down something... so it pushes the dust away instead of toward the person cutting. And got a waterproof power strip for the waterers in the kitchen. It will make maintenance on them easier bc I can flip the off switch when changing filters.

Cooked for Mom, ate a salad, and am about to take a nap.

I bought em a solid 10 to 12 years ago back when they cost somewhere around a buck a foot for a 10 gauge cord and I thought that was a lot back then. I’ve thought about how much I would have to fork out for new ones right now if these should happen to grow legs and walk away. That’s why I coil em up and take em with me at the end of the day.

For these 10 gauge cords I swear these are the only replacement ends that will work. I bought some others that I thought would work but most are 12 gauge max. Believe me I tried to squeeze n squish the wire in but nope. On the plus side they do have a handy gauge on the plug end so you know how much wire and cord casing to strip away.

View attachment 17643

I had an extension cord that got stuck wrapped around one of my vanity doors somehow. Managed to break the hinge off when I was trying to get it loose. I'm forever getting them stuck on things.
Need to check again, but I think Amazon packing people forgot to include my waterproof power strip. Haven't been feeling well enough to really look, but there were two plastic bag packages and I don't recall the power strip being in either of them. I think I only received 3 of my 4 items.

Mom was sick on Friday & couldn't keep anything down. Managed to get her to keep down some chicken broth, toast, and an egg yesterday. Today I got her some fresh rotisserie chicken that I pulled off the bone and broke apart. I think it would probably work better in broth. Went to Samsclub to get more water & cat food. Went to walmart to get soup and salad afterward. Stopped at TSC to get hay with molasses in it for the cows. The red cow came running from the back field. The black cow can't move very fast. I think she's got problems with her hips. But she grazes & cuddles with her mother. I think they like the cooler weather. The dogs like it but the cats don't.

It was nice and cool last night-- cold enough that I put on some warmer pants.

Been e-mailing my uncle. He's missing his wife and trying to write the obituary. He pre-paid and made arrangements back in 2019 for a lot of stuff but he's lonely without her there in the mornings.

I was restless last night so I ended up mounting the robe hook in my bathroom. Stupid screws were too soft and stripped out. I pre-drilled and these stupid things stripped. Got stuck a little more than halfway in the wall and didn't want to back out or go in more. I accidentally scraped the wall while trying to get them out. So, I'll have to find a way to cover that scrape at some point. I used a magnetic torpedo level to make sure the bracket was square and used star head decking screws. Made it so much easier. Mom had a kit of tiny screwdrivers and I used a flat head one for the set screw. Even though I couldn't see the groove, it found it and was able to get the screw tightened. Used it to tighten the set screws on the tp holder as well. The posts were a little bit loose and slid to the sides a bit so I pushed them back in closer together.

I know I need to work on doing some weedeating and maybe going for walks outside in the next few days now that it is cooler. Need to charge up the batteries and get to it. Tomorrow Mom has podiatrist appointment though.

I'm feeling sleepy and probably need a nap.

Today (well, yesterday now) was a day of rest.
Just saw this on reddit and it got my eyes twitching in aggravation at how sloppy the work was:
I think I see staples and nails in that quarter round that is just sticking out like an eyesore & toe catcher.

They either left gaps or used that large quarter round. No caulk. No mitering except for the horrible mitering job on the one corner. Ugh. I'd be super pissed if this had been done at my home. And apparently, the installer said they were done.

They put quarter round under a DOOR! WTAF?

What would you guys have done differently on this?

(I'm up bc the dog woke me up growling and snarling because I moved my arm slightly in my sleep).

Today (well, yesterday now) was a day of rest.
Just saw this on reddit and it got my eyes twitching in aggravation at how sloppy the work was:
I think I see staples and nails in that quarter round that is just sticking out like an eyesore & toe catcher.

They either left gaps or used that large quarter round. No caulk. No mitering except for the horrible mitering job on the one corner. Ugh. I'd be super pissed if this had been done at my home. And apparently, the installer said they were done.

They put quarter round under a DOOR! WTAF?

What would you guys have done differently on this?

(I'm up bc the dog woke me up growling and snarling because I moved my arm slightly in my sleep).

Need more details before I can pick apart that install. There’s many a store out there that that’s what one of their installs looks like and it’s acceptable all day long in certain parts of the country. Other parts of the country, you shoulda knew better.

Latest posts

Back