Who makes router bits like the Wilsonart groove cutting bit?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
I find a lot of 'wing' type router bits, but those are made to use on a router table.
The Wilsonart router bit can make grooves in a wood or laminate floor that's already installed and is usually used for making repairs.
Who makes bits designed like the one Wilsonart used to make, but with a larger profile, say for routing and splining thicker flooring materials like 1/2" or 5/8"? I found a 1/4" bit, but that's too wide for grooving a 1/2" or 5/8" floor.
This is the only type that I can find. You can buy a lot of different thickness blades with this design, but still, it can only be used to route an uninstalled plank.
FH02FEB_PINFLR_17.jpg

The nut won't allow use of this style bit on a floor that's been installed, and the bearing is on the wrong side of the cutter.

Last edited:
I find a lot of 'wing' type router bits, but those are made to use on a router table.
The Wilsonart router bit can make grooves in a wood or laminate floor that's already installed and is usually used for making repairs.
Who makes bits designed like the one Wilsonart used to make, but with a larger profile, say for routing and splining thicker flooring materials like 1/2" or 5/8"? I found a 1/4" bit, but that's too wide for grooving a 1/2" or 5/8" floor.
This is the only type that I can find. You can buy a lot of different thickness blades with this design, but still, it can only be used to route an uninstalled plank.
FH02FEB_PINFLR_17.jpg

The nut won't allow use of this style bit on a floor that's been installed, and the bearing is on the wrong side of the cutter.
How about using a biscuit cutter?

I'd have to buy one. :eek:
I don't do much wood flooring. I have two routers, both 1/4" One's a Porter Cable offset laminate trimmer, the other one is an old Sears model. Bits are cheaper than new tools.
The offset laminate trimmer fits in very small places and gets very close to the edges.

Last edited:
I don't do much wood flooring. I have two routers, both 1/4" One's a Porter Cable offset laminate trimmer, the other one is an old Sears model. Bits are cheaper than new tools.
The offset laminate trimmer fits in very small places and gets very close to the edges.
Infinity has slot cutting bits that will cut slots smaller than 1/4".

But a bisquit joiner can be used for woodworking projects too. Once you have it you don't have to worry about it again. Wish I had one.

Daris

But a bisquit joiner can be used for woodworking projects too. Once you have it you don't have to worry about it again. Wish I had one.

Daris

Yeah what Daris said. I bought a hand held biscuit joiner, works great. And if you need a wider cut you can adjust it up a tad and run it through again. Wont hit the corners completely but close enough.

Yeah what Daris said. I bought a hand held biscuit joiner, works great. And if you need a wider cut you can adjust it up a tad and run it through again. Wont hit the corners completely but close enough.
Does it gauge the cut position from the underlayment up, or the wood surface down?

Here's what I was looking for. Gotta use the correct terminology or all you find is stackable wing cutters. :eek: This is the same design as Wilsonart's bit.

14245672.jpg

14245672-1.jpg

http://www.circlesaw.com/flooring-router-bits/amana-tool-45672-1-1/8-flooring-bit-for-undercutting/

I see they make a few others, a 5/32 which cuts slightly wider, and is half way between 1/8" and 3/16"
They have a metric one with is equal to a 64th" under 3/16"
I'd be cutting my own splines anyway.

Locally, I can buy a regular slot cutter mandrel, then buy the wing bit that I'd need. The local tool place stocks Amana bits. I think they range from 1/16" to 1/4" in 32nds, so there's plenty of choices. A mandrel and bit would cost $20 to $30 depending on the winch size. Those might be a better option if I'm trying to match to an existing tongue instead of double grooving to make a spline.

Last edited:
Dang, I didn't look to the bottom of the page.
They describe them as a "Carbide Tipped Flooring Straight Dedicated Cutter"
That's a mouthful.
Here's the sizes that Amana makes. Heck, Amana might have made the bits for Wilsonart. Same design.

Top bearing wing cutter tool numbers.jpg

Thanks for that link Dennis. The version I want is probably 5/32", and that link only shows 1/4" and 1/8" The 1/8" would make a lot stronger joint than the small Wilsonart bit that I have.
One of the floors I will be working on has a 5/32" groove. I'd like to match that so it can be done in one pass.
I'm going to measure a few engineered wood and laminate floors at Carpet One today and see how common the 5/32" size is.
For now, I think I'll buy a slot cutter mandrel and bit locally since one of the projects will work fine with a table mounted setup.

The flooring I was using had a groove that was slightly less than 1/4". Anywhere I was going to spline I cut both sides. I used plywood splines but it did take a couple trips to find someone that had 1/4" plywood that would actually fit snugly.

Warning - If you're planning on cutting any of the strand woven stuff plan on wearing out the cutter. In my install (~500sqft) I wore 2 of them out and really should have used at least one more.

The flooring I was using had a groove that was slightly less than 1/4". Anywhere I was going to spline I cut both sides. I used plywood splines but it did take a couple trips to find someone that had 1/4" plywood that would actually fit snugly.

Warning - If you're planning on cutting any of the strand woven stuff plan on wearing out the cutter. In my install (~500sqft) I wore 2 of them out and really should have used at least one more.

The strand bamboo has a groove on the stair nose molding. I will only need to groove about 15 feet of the floor material.
I'll have to wait till the nose arrives tomorrow so I will know the size of the groove........... the company sent me a crappy diagram of their moldings, with all dimensions except for the groove. :rolleyes:
I'll take the molding to the tool supply store and match a wing bit there.

That's probably who made the gaggle of slot cutters I got at a fire sale in Dalton way back when. They're marked SHAW but we all know Shaw didnt make them.

FWIW 1/8" slot cutter and a piece of melamine are a match made on erf.

That's probably who made the gaggle of slot cutters I got at a fire sale in Dalton way back when. They're marked SHAW but we all know Shaw didnt make them.

FWIW 1/8" slot cutter and a piece of melamine are a match made on erf.
How about 1/8" tempered hardboard?
Nice to see you stopped by Mr. C

I guess I'm a big dum dum cuz I don't know what hardboard is. I use melamine because it cuts nice when I put it white side down on my table saw. It makes a great spilne for stuff like laminate and 3/8" hardwood. It snaps right in. It's also crazy cheap. I'm the guy who reuses garbage bags. hehe

BTW: This is a pretty good source for top bearing slot cutters.

Clipboard02.jpg

Last edited:
After reading carefully, I realize someone already posted what I posted. Sorry for the redundancy.

Latest posts

Back