15ft wide carpets.

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mainly work by myself. I love working with 15 foot wide carpet. If I need help, the shop is always willing to pitch in. Most times, it eliminates seams or puts the seam out of the traffic area.

They don't fit in the back of my pick-up truck. But it's great if all the rooms are 14' 9" otherwise a seam is a seam.

Yea but ever see a 15 footer come in 14' 9". I'd like to see that 6 inch stretch. Just like 12 ft , ain't always 12 ft.

If it come's in 11'9" then send it back. Their tolarance for it is just like bow and skew, 1 1/2 percent. You just need to know what you are talking about when you call.

They are not going to take the time to trim down the side of the carpet. I have been told it is the set up or the speed they are running the tufting line. I think it is if they make it 2 inches short think about how much extra fiber they will save. Every now and then they can make a extra roll that cost them nothing.

We have only handled 15 foot goods a few times in our years working together. PITA, we have to bungee the back doors open. Hate that. We can easily accommodate 13'6" goods with the doors closed, though.

Manufacturing tolerance as someone stated is 1.5%. Or in other words, plus or minus 2" on a 12' wide roll; or plus or minus 3" on a 15' wide roll. Everything has a tolerance and this is normal. Let's just hope they don't follow the lumber industry or a 12' wide carpet will start coming in 9' wide.

I wish we had 15 foot wide carpet in NZ.
The number of times I do a job where every room needs a fill between 1 and 3 feet wide it would have its advantages.

When 15' x 12' of carpet weighs as much as a small car, it's time to charge more. :cool:

That's about the way I feel. When everyone starts loading 15ft by 30 softback rugs on the back of their vans on a regular basis the novelty may wear off. The problem is the extra man power is not always there to provide the extra help. Look for more hernia's and back injuries.

Latest posts

Back