Adhesive question

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michaeljftsmith

I'm sorry if this question has already been asked but I couldn't find it here. Can anyone recommend a pressure sensitive that would be ok to use for vinyl plank with attached pad on steps that Home Depot would carry? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I’d just use construction adhesive on the steps.
For the treads I was thinking Roberts 7350 and the nosing I was gonna use sika 11fc. I'd like to know what others think about these selections as well. Thanks for the reply. In my experience construction adhesive doesn't work well on LVP transitions or on the plank itself. I've had masterweld fail on lvp before.

Pressure sensitive would not be best for steps. What does the manufacturer recommend? They should have a techncial dept.
I ended up contacting the manufacturer and described to them the specific type of floor I'm installing and this is their reply...

"Hello,

Thank you for contacting Pergo. We recommend using a construction grade adhesive for the steps. You will leave the attached pad on.

Thank You,"

Peel it off man, I promise.
Some of us know more than the manufacturer.
It's not a bad idea to peel off the pad. I would never have expected a manufacturer to recommend that, mainly because they couldn't control that process. Is it easy--------to leave a clean backing with which to bond the construction adhesive to the step?

I wonder if they recommend leaving the pad on because it’s easier than removing the pad AND ADHESIVE. Having sticky residue left on the planks could lead to noise. I gummed up a set of planer blades with that sticky residue, it’s real.
IMG_2924.jpeg

I have no idea what’s available these days. I’m sure it varies depending on the manufacturer but if there’s such a thing as the same boards, style and color, without the padding attached, perhaps it would be prudent to pick up a box with no padding just for the steps?

I have no idea what’s available these days. I’m sure it varies depending on the manufacturer but if there’s such a thing as the same boards, style and color, without the padding attached, perhaps it would be prudent to pick up a box with no padding just for the steps?
Yeah, I get that. Often we could get carpet without the backing-----Interface System Six, which was carpet tile with a vinyl back left in 6' rolls about 100'. The rolls were crazy heavy. If we had to make carpet base or do stairs/upholsty they could send us the carpet without the backing. I imagine the factory would want a fairly large minimum order to start offering that for LVP. In the long run though it makes sense to offer that.

I never and probably never will like the idea of vinyl on stairs------it's VERY commercial and for that rubber stair treads are so much neater. Not for a house!

Yea but I wasn't thinking special order. I was wondering if they already offer the planks with and without the pad attached at different price points.

And I remember that Interface stuff. We had to unload a trailer full of it on a job site with no mechanical help except for a few hand trucks. The rolls were right around 600 lbs. each. That was fun...

No full spread, as per the manufacturer we glued only the seams. No sealer required but all seams had to be trimmed. I really didn't understand the logic of it. Carpet tiles make a lot more sense. I only saw it that one time so I guess others agreed.

Yea but I wasn't thinking special order. I was wondering if they already offer the planks with and without the pad attached at different price points.

And I remember that Interface stuff. We had to unload a trailer full of it on a job site with no mechanical help except for a few hand trucks. The rolls were right around 600 lbs. each. That was fun...

No full spread, as per the manufacturer we glued only the seams. No sealer required but all seams had to be trimmed. I really didn't understand the logic of it. Carpet tiles make a lot more sense. I only saw it that one time so I guess others agreed.
We were doing medical office space buiding corridors with the stuff. So you'd have a few hundred yards, wide open corridors. It's looking like an easy day. You wrestle it all into place and you're thinking about getting home WAY early. Then, if you recall you had to peel it all back, spread the "Blue Glue" or System Six glue with a paint roller and let it dry. Took forever. Of course we're there after hours and the HVAC is off in a sealed space so ZERO ventillation. I recall feeling by noon that I just went 15 rounds with Joe Fraizer and weren't half done. That stuff would kick our asses. It was CLEAN though. No dust and fibers flying everywhere into your lungs like regular rug.

It's not a bad idea to peel off the pad. I would never have expected a manufacturer to recommend that, mainly because they couldn't control that process. Is it easy--------to leave a clean backing with which to bond the construction adhesive to the step?

I use my 5” inertial scraper with a new blade. The hardest part is finding that perfect angle that gets between the 2 layers. Once you find it & can maintain it the whole pass, it’s a hot knife through butter.

Just for shits and giggles I made a display board (3’x3’) and left the pad on. It didn’t hold for crap. Just standing it up they fell off.
Also did some marine grade click lvp on a sailboat. Called the manufacturer and they said leave the pad on……. It didn’t hold!

I remove the attached pad on anything I glue down. Especially stairs! Last thing I want is Mr smith calling me because mrs smith broke her hip taking a digger on stairs I did.

Latest posts

Back