Bathroom Tile surface prep

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakestevens

I am preparing to install ceramic tile in my bathroom. There was vinyl flooring in place and was mostly peeled up in places. I removed most of the vinyl, but some of the felt layer of the floor covering still remain.
Should this felt layer be removed 100%? Or can i use thin set to level the floor around it before I lay down the backer board?

I'd just go over it as the thinset is just to keep out voids, not really to bond the backer board.

So, just clean the surface, apply the thin set with the
nothed trowel, and install the backer board without removing
the left over felt layer of the vinyl floor?

Yea, your fastening down the backer board anyways, right? It's just for leveling and filling voids.

Yep go right over the felt w yor thin set install wounder boar an nail it down. Thats how we do all our tile

It's fine to leave the felt as long as it's very thin. Even 1/16" might give you problems though. In addition, don't forget the special mesh tape for all the seams.

Jaz

Hi!!!
I think is better to remove the remain one, if it is not possible to remove 100%
you can use the backer board ,but it is looking not so good. If your not worry about the money you may reinstall it.Or you can take some advice from a room designer or some interior designer.

Hi!!!
I think is better to remove the remain one, if it is not possible to remove 100%
you can use the backer board ,but it is looking not so good. If your not worry about the money you may reinstall it.Or you can take some advice from a room designer or some interior designer.

Once again, but this time in English.

Latest posts

Back