Commercial Floor Rep

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I had my consult with the spine doc today. Not as good as originally thought. Instead of two vertebrae there are actually 4 that will have to be addressed and fused, C4-C7. The official diagnosis are, cervical stenosis of spine (spinal canal is too small for the spinal cord), cervical radiculopathy (nerves are pinched where they branch from the spinal cord), cervical myelopathy (compression of the spinal cord), and hyperreflexia (hyper sensitive reflexes generally caused by a spinal cord injury).

The treatment is posterior cervical decompression and fusion.

They'll basically go in through an incision about 6" long on the back of my neck and remove a piece on the back of each vertebrae to make them horseshoe shaped instead of donut shaped. They will also clean up any other issues with the discs and bone spurs that need addressed. They will then put in the special titanium screws and rods to lock the vertebrae in place. After they finish with that they will take the pieces they removed and use them along with some donor material and bone marrow and stems cells that they will withdraw from my hip during the procedure. They will graft the bone along the sides of those vertebrae with using the donor material and my bone marrow and stems cells. They they close me up.

I'll have a drain in there for a day or two. They'll keep me in the hospital for 2.5 days. I'll be on bed rest for 1 week after surgery. They'll have me come in at one week post op to check the incision, adjust my meds or address anything else. Then I'll be on bed rest to light duty (working from home) for 2-3 weeks. I'll go back in after two weeks and have the sutures removed. after 3 weeks they will assess me for PT and if I'm tolerating pain ok then I can start 8-12 weeks of PT and rehab. I won't be able to lift over 5 lbs. until they tell me I can. I can't go up and down staircases. I can go up and down a couple of stairs to go in and out of the house.

I attached a couple of files that show the laminectomy steps and then one of a neck model that they showed me in the office when they were going over everything. The only difference is that the neck model still shows the vertebrae fully intact. They will actually remove the piece of bone between the screws.

At any rate, I still have some stuff to get done. They have to do a complete physical and some lab tests to make sure I'm in good enough shape to handle the surgery (they do that once you hit fifty). That should be no problem and then they have to get all the pre-approvals from my insurance company. Once all that is done THEN they will schedule me for the surgery. Probably looking at mid-late October. In the meantime I get to live with this lovely pain that ranges from a mild toothache to feeling like I've been stabbed with a pickaxe. And of course along with the pain I get random numbness and weakness in various body parts. My left thumb and index finger have been numb since this all started but I've had random numbness in my left pinky finger, my left forefinger, my left forearm, my left shoulder, the right side of my face, and weakness and loss of fine motor skills in my feet and legs.

I'm getting so used to sleeping with my neck and arm on ice I feel like a prize tuna in a Chinese fish market!

Oh well, one more step to getting it dealt with. The light at the end of the tunnel is still a ways off but I've made it this far, I suppose I can handle a few more days.

CMP what am I going to do with you? :)
I thought you and I had a deal that you were coming down here to take over my laying lino so I can retire, I am looking sooner than later as I struggled today as it was out first day of work after 5 weeks of lock down and I am getting closer to 75 each day, still trying to catch Daris:)
When I first saw your post on my phone when I got to work I thought it was from another layer I was talking to yesterday was complaining about his sore back. He comes up on my screen as Coromandel Flooring so it looked a bit like Commercial Floor Rep so I first thought it has Richard not you, it was only when I showed it to another layer he picked up it wasnt Richard, see my brain is going as well
Hope all goes well for you my old mate so you can be up and around soon

Don't feel bad @Jon, with the muscle relaxers and pain meds most days I feel about as sharp as a circle right now.

I had a good laugh yesterday when I was talking to the nurse who explained the whole process to me. I mentioned work and and she says "Wait....you're working?" I'm thinking "...well duh! What the hell else would I be doing?" So I tell her yeah, I'm going in if I'm able to and she was just amazed. What do they think the average person can do, suddenly take off a couple of months? Maybe I'm just too much from a different time when going to work was what you were expected to do if you weren't dead.

My buddy Tucker is here with me today (Owner's Dog)....He's helping me with my lunch today! He keeps my mind off the pain too. He wanted to say Hi to everybody too.

Tucker.jpg

I got out voted when I told them we should tear out the old VAT and prep the floor right for moisture.

Honestly, it's performed pretty well. It's about 10 years old now. We used to be a Kentile distributor back in the day so that's what is underneath. It's a dropped pattern of Mannington Nature's Paths with a layer of Ardex feather in between. The building was built in the late fifties so there is no vapor retarder underneath. As a result we've got moisture that is seeping through and there's about 5 places in the floor that will ooze a tiny bit of glue now and then. About every 6 months we'll use a small amount of cleaner / thinner and get it up. Otherwise it will start showing a sticky little dirt spot where it comes up. 99% of the floor has no issue though.

If it fails, I know where I can get more cheap! :) :p

Don't feel bad @Jon, with the muscle relaxers and pain meds most days I feel about as sharp as a circle right now.

I had a good laugh yesterday when I was talking to the nurse who explained the whole process to me. I mentioned work and and she says "Wait....you're working?" I'm thinking "...well duh! What the hell else would I be doing?" So I tell her yeah, I'm going in if I'm able to and she was just amazed. What do they think the average person can do, suddenly take off a couple of months? Maybe I'm just too much from a different time when going to work was what you were expected to do if you weren't dead.

CFR I beamed you a PM which covers what you are saying :)

CFR I viisited my back doc today and after 3 injections they want to kill the nerve on one side of my back then the other side.
says it will give me maybe 6 months of relief or maybe more. I'm up in the air over that on. 6 months to me is like putting lipstick on a pig. Is it worth it? More pressure than the shots which was quite a bit of pressure. I just might live with it until I die.

CFR I viisited my back doc today and after 3 injections they want to kill the nerve on one side of my back then the other side.
says it will give me maybe 6 months of relief or maybe more. I'm up in the air over that on. 6 months to me is like putting lipstick on a pig. Is it worth it? More pressure than the shots which was quite a bit of pressure. I just might live with it until I die.
I know what you mean. All the men in my family have a bad vertebrae in our neck. They wanted to operate on mine. My brother died about 30 years ago having the same surgery. I passed.

Those doctors wouldake lousy furniture makers..... I mean not trying harder to hide the joinery. 😁

Do like they say about lifting things and stairs. You might feel good enough at some point to do things a few weeks earlier than they say, but don't.... Don't play doctor on something this serious.
Glad you've got the process underway so you can live again. Sounds miserable.

In my situation, if I opt out of the surgery, eventually the compression on my spine would cause enough damage that I would lose the function in my arms and legs. It's really that serous. The rheumatoid arthritis in my neck will essentially keep making the spinal canal (the hole in the vertebrae) smaller and smaller and tighter and tighter on my spine until the damage would cause paralysis. It would also mean that I would have to continue to live with this pain forever.

It's a bit scary because they are telling me I could be in for a long recovery. The procedure that they will do is 98.5% successful at relieving the pain and has less than 10% chance of any type of complications. Weighing that vs. the possibility of not being able to walk at some point down the road make it a pretty simple choice.

The advancements in technology and even technique in this type of procedure over the past 25 years are astounding. I'll have a team of 4-6 physicians who will actually be participating in the surgery. My surgeon and his partner will do the actual surgery. Another team of docs will connect me to something called "spinal monitoring" which will monitor my spinal cord during the entire operation to make sure that there is no damage. A 3rd team of doctors will secure my head and body and monitor it during the whole procedure to guarantee that I don't move involuntarily or voluntarily during the procedure which could cause an issue.

Sometimes I don't know whether having been a nurse prior to my flooring career is a good thing or a bad thing. While being able to understand and have some knowledge of what will happen helps relieve the anxiety of the "unknown". Knowing what the complexity of the process is and all the necessary steps to ensure success provides a lot of fodder for worry. To say I'm not looking forward to having all this done is an understatement on a grand scale but the alternative is not an option.

At any rate, I have confidence in my doctor and the team that will be taking care of me. They have a proven track record of success with me already (my knee) and I feel that they are doing everything in advance to make sure of exactly what needs done and for the best possible outcome.

I appreciate everyone here's wishes, prayers, humor, and encouragement. It really means a lot to me!

Last edited:
Daris,

That sucks. I can say I'm pretty sure I know what you're dealing with regarding the pain and I hope that you can get relief from it. Hang in there and do what you think is best.
We are worriers of the flooring trade. Thanks for sharing the details w/ us CFR and good luck ! Good thing the dog 🐶 has his rabies tag, you don’t need anything else piled on top 😜

Little update....

I got all my insurance approvals and cleared the final hurdle with my PACE evaluation so I should have a surgery date today or tomorrow. I'll also be the first name on the cancellation list if anyone cancels they will get me in sooner.

Past couple of weeks have been up and down but overall I'm just hanging in there as best I'm able.

Nice to hear CFR. At least something is going your way. I was told yesterday that I/we are no longer contagious after yesterday. 11 days after testing positive you are good to go. I asked about retesting and was told we could test positive 2-3 months out. No need to. But I tell you this no taste/no smell really sucks. Now I can can come and visit Jon.

Little update....

I got all my insurance approvals and cleared the final hurdle with my PACE evaluation so I should have a surgery date today or tomorrow. I'll also be the first name on the cancellation list if anyone cancels they will get me in sooner.

Past couple of weeks have been up and down but overall I'm just hanging in there as best I'm able.

Thats good news Chuck

Latest posts

Back