Consumer says

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan

Professional
Pro
Consumer says four year old floor has never been wet. Not even for cleaning. Only dust mopped.

110728 067.jpg

110728 034.jpg

Consumer says four year old floor has never been wet. Not even for cleaning. Only dust mopped.

Did you try not to laugh out loud?:D Been on tons of those inspections, unless they outright admit it itf you look in the closets you'll

usually find a spray swiffer jobby or a steam mop. Did you check for animal urine?

Did you try not to laugh out loud?:D Been on tons of those inspections, unless they outright admit it itf you look in the closets you'll

usually find a spray swiffer jobby or a steam mop. Did you check for animal urine?

I actually opened closet door that were in the vicinity of the troubled room. Did not see a string mop. Never, ever laugh while in someone's house. PH test? ....... "Oh? What's that you're doing?"

See where it get's complicated?

110728 096.jpg

Oh silly me for always thinking everything is on a slab, even then with high MVE, the floor will get locked in before you see any issues from excessive MVE or moisture from a crawl space affecting the floor like that.

A ph test or those urine sticks are always usefull for those situations.

The piers appear to have settled in the above photo creating a low spot. Well over 0.150" in a six foot span.

110728 115.jpg

Gotcha! It appears that either it is a low-grade, inferior product, the consumer has allowed things to occur which have seriously affected the floor, or there is an extreme humidity issue. My guess is the first one.

Curious ... if you are inspecting something, why would you worry about taking a Ph test and having someone ask what you're doing? You do what you gotta do!

Tia

The piers appear to have settled in the above photo creating a low spot. Well over 0.150" in a six foot span.

Interesting, was the spot there before or after the install? :)

Do you have some weight on that so it's weighted to the floor or not? A ph test in the seam or joint will tell ya what?

Gotcha! It appears that either it is a low-grade, inferior product, the consumer has allowed things to occur which have seriously affected the floor, or there is an extreme humidity issue. My guess is the first one.

Curious ... if you are inspecting something, why would you worry about taking a Ph test and having someone ask what you're doing? You do what you gotta do!

Tia

Yes on first.

Yes on second.

No way to prove or disprove on third. Can only go on testing results at time of inspection.

Last, I never care about people asking what I'm doing, while I'm doing. When the first question is asked I politely explain about me asking questions during the inspection and how I need answers. I also address not answering questions at the time of the inspection, but how they will be answered in writing in the report, if relevant. This all becomes a little more delicate, depending on who (what party-commissiong party - or otherwise) is asking. I just try to take time to hold thier hand, so to speak, and reassure them it makes me no difference. I am there to find the true reason for the failure. Most folks are ok with this and become more relaxed.

Dan, I'm going to try to be helpful here. Take it or leave it, won't hurt my feelings.

So, it's an inferior product, and the consumer allowed things to happen which would affect the performance of the floor.

No way to prove or disprove on third. Can only go on testing results at time of inspection. Uh, aren't tests to prove or disprove? If there's any kind of a moisture problem, the tests would show it. Just this past month, I've laid 12 moisture tests prior to installations, including having to repeat some, had to put moisture-control wash on a couple jobs at $200 a bucket plus labor. It's an issue you need to learn to deal with. Prevention. My point here is that you should be able to prove a moisture problem. Get yourself some calcium chloride test kits. What are you putting on your reports to show you tested for moisture? Just asking ...

Good if you say nothing as an inspector. Tight-lipped is the best way to go. The best advice I ever got was from my old warehouse guy almost 15 years ago. He told me to ask the people what they want, and it will almost always be less than what you planned to give them. If it's more, then you argue.

Tia

Tia, are you recommending CaCl tests on a wood subfloor over a crawl space?

What I meant in my earlier post is that I can't prove what the relative humidity has been in the past. I can only prove what it is at the time of the inspection. I can look for indications that excessive moisture has been present in the past. Even if I find evidence, such as dried mud and evidence of running water in a crawl space, I still can't prove what the rh was at the time those were created.

By the way, second photo in post #1 shows evidence of topical moisture.

Tia, are you recommending CaCl tests on a wood subfloor over a crawl space?

What I meant in my earlier post is that I can't prove what the relative humidity has been in the past. I can only prove what it is at the time of the inspection. I can look for indications that excessive moisture has been present in the past. Even if I find evidence, such as dried mud and evidence of running water in a crawl space, I still can't prove what the rh was at the time those were created.

By the way, second photo in post #1 shows evidence of topical moisture.

I misspoke when mentioning calcium chloride tests. They are just so much on my brain lately. Of course, they aren't appropriate for wood floor over a crawl space. I'm not very scientific, and don't really want to be!

Have always thought your photos showed a moisture problem (after realizing it wasn't glue squeeze-out), and am not understanding why it's so hard to prove or disprove a moisture issue. If there is evidence, whether from at the time of installation or now, isn't that enough?

On the other hand, I do understand the requirements from both the insurance companies and manufacturers/mills on claims.

Sounds like you tested in the crawl space. What did that show? You're right, you cannot prove a previous condition, but can't we figure out some way to determine that a situation was caused by something which was evident at the time of installation, yet is not present now? That's disturbing.

Sorry for being difficult, just trying to understand!
Take care, Tia

Latest posts

Back