Discussing politics and religion

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just heard that McCain is choosing to discontinue medical treatment for his brain tumor. I know it was a grim prognosis from the get-go, but it is still very sad. Regardless of politics, I don't wish cancer on anyone.

The Hawaii & Puerto Rico thing makes me wonder... Back in the 90s did the US have much news coverage (if any) when Guam got hit with supertyphoon Paka? Or did the newsmedia even acknowledge that Guam existed? I think the only time I've ever heard it mentioned here was when NK or something was threatening to attack Guam.

I just heard that McCain is choosing to discontinue medical treatment for his brain tumor. I know it was a grim prognosis from the get-go, but it is still very sad. Regardless of politics, I don't wish cancer on anyone.

The Hawaii & Puerto Rico thing makes me wonder... Back in the 90s did the US have much news coverage (if any) when Guam got hit with supertyphoon Paka? Or did the newsmedia even acknowledge that Guam existed? I think the only time I've ever heard it mentioned here was when NK or something was threatening to attack Guam.

Well we have and have had a huge military base in Guam since WWII or earlier. Lots of military personnel there.
Feel sorry for McCain, wish he was still healthy. Lots of respect for the man. He's most vocal about Trump and his misdeeds.
My neighbor who is a retired AF general and flew along side McCain in Vietnam dislikes him fervently.

Yeah. There's the naval base in the south (nicknamed "Big Navy"), Andersen Airforce Base in the north, and in between there is NCTMS and a very small Army base. I was living in the housing near NCTMS in the village of Dededo when Paka hit. We didn't have power for a few months and no TV for 6 months (which really wasn't a big deal to me bc I didn't watch that much). But, we didn't get to see whatever news was airing in the US & internet back then was slow as molasses.

Are you saying your buddy dislikes McCain? Or Trump?

Well we have and have had a huge military base in Guam since WWII or earlier. Lots of military personnel there.
Feel sorry for McCain, wish he was still healthy. Lots of respect for the man. He's most vocal about Trump and his misdeeds.
My neighbor who is a retired AF general and flew along side McCain in Vietnam dislikes him fervently.
Some who were prisoners with him said he collaborated with the enemy, but who knows?

white house.jpg

R.I.P. John McCain. You may have done many amazing things in your life but my personal favorite was leaving Leslie speechless..

nhk81akk2ci11.jpg

I just found out. It makes me very sad. I know his daughter was taking the news of the brain tumor hard when she first found out. Biden was trying to comfort her. I know it was a gutpunch for him because he lost his son to the same type of cancer and he was good friends with McCain. I didn't always agree with his stances, but he seemed to have integrity.

I wonder if the vietcong just told the other POWs that he was collaborating in order to make them turn against him. It's hard to know what was going on in that situation. IIRC, there were other POWs who said nice things about him.

The stories about him are wide ranged. I read that he was offered freedom because of his rank for political reasons and he refused because he wanted the rank and file guys captured first to get out first.
Can't believe after yesterdays news he didn't make it a day.

On another forum, a veteran with 3 purple hearts, 3 bronze stars and a silver star and other medals, said he was asked to share a stage with McCain and that McCain was a total ass to him.

Below is the comment from the true hero that Floorist was referring to. Now this guy is also a real American hero, but not to discredit John, even though he was a turncoat.

Back when he and Palin were running they stopped in Colorado Springs.
I was 'selected' to be up on stage with them. Before the event/rally I was back in a room with the two of them for about 45 mins talking. She was pretty cool about it all, he was a DICK... He started in asking why I was so special to be on the same stage with him.... He was then told that I was "a bit more special than he was". Not by me or my words, he was made aware that I was a Ranger that spent three consecutive years (not coming home) in VN as a LRRP, That I was wounded three times, 3 PH's, 3 ACM's w/V device, 4 Bronze Stars 3 w/V device and The Silver Star... He kind of laughed and said, "he didn't spend any time in a prison did he?"....
Palin grinched and said "I have nothing but respect for someone that actually did something".
We talked for the entire 45 mins.
BTW... He lives about 20 mins from me. OH, Wait, he LIVED about 20 mins from me.
He also showed his true colors when he walked up and did a thumbs down for the deciding vote to get rid of Obamacare.
He was a DICK>

On another forum, a veteran with 3 purple hearts, 3 bronze stars and a silver star and other medals, said he was asked to share a stage with McCain and that McCain was a total ass to him.
I'm sure many people in the public eye have a darker side when the camera isn't rolling. McCain wasn't one to "go with the flow" .......in a way even tho he wasn't always my cup of tea, I have to admire him for that.
We'd be better off if ALL politicians would vote with their gut instead of with their party.

Hav, I'm betting all politicians have a big ego or they wouldn't have gotten onto the bull in the first place. I voted for McCain and Palin, mostly because of the alternative.

I think when the enemy picks you out from a crowd of prisoners because if your rank, tortures you, breaks your arms and god knows what you will do anything to make them stop.
He could be a dick but deserves to be a dick when ever he wants. Say what they want I dont believe hearsay.

What you said is true......... at what point does a person cave? I don't think many people can truly imagine what he and others POW's went through.
That said, if he used his war history as an excuse to be a Dick, then he still was one. We saw his public side.

Latest posts

Back