Flexco adhesive for rubber on aluminum

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
I think this is the product, but not sure. I asked if it was rubber or vinyl and was told rubber. I was told the material comes in a couple of different dimensions and they make stair treads also......... so I'm fairly sure this is what the product is.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_206242-33674-RBT8D1P001_0__?productId=3023904
I was asked to bid on doing 180 sq feet or so on a houseboat. I was also told this was going directly on the aluminum floor surface........ House boat/pontoon boat? .............whatever.
Says on the description, wood or concrete floors, interior use, not for basements.
If this will work on the houseboat interior, what adhesive would one use for going directly on aluminum?

If this product won't work, does anyone have any alternate suggestions for a material that will work?

Last edited:
Unless things have changed Hi, You can't use rubber on a boat. The vibrations from the motor destroy it .

Unless things have changed Hi, You can't use rubber on a boat. The vibrations from the motor destroy it .
It's a pontoon style boat and most likely an outboard motor. These things usually get used a few weeks during the summer. I'd be more concerned with the floor twisting or flexing myself. I haven't seen the layout and the boat is 40 miles away. They wanted a bid by noon today and I got notice of this project last night.

I think this is the product, but not sure. I asked if it was rubber or vinyl and was told rubber. I was told the material comes in a couple of different dimensions and they make stair treads also......... so I'm fairly sure this is what the product is.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_206242-33674-RBT8D1P001_0__?productId=3023904
I was asked to bid on doing 180 sq feet or so on a houseboat. I was also told this was going directly on the aluminum floor surface........ House boat/pontoon boat? .............whatever.
Says on the description, wood or concrete floors, interior use, not for basements.
If this will work on the houseboat interior, what adhesive would one use for going directly on aluminum?

If this product won't work, does anyone have any alternate suggestions for a material that will work?

Epoxy, urethane or contact cement is what I would use.

A houseboat isn't an interior application so technically you can't do it.

1/16" x 1/16" x 1/16" square notch with epoxy adhesive is a really strong bond though.

Just sayin'

Epoxy, urethane or contact cement is what I would use.

A houseboat isn't an interior application so technically you can't do it.

1/16" x 1/16" x 1/16" square notch with epoxy adhesive is a really strong bond though.

Just sayin'
Found out the surface is 2x4 sleepers capped with plywood instead of aluminum. I guess that helps a lot as far as glue choices. I called Flexco and the marine grade version of this floor has some fire retarding properties that can be required for some boat applications, but that's not an issue for this one. It's life will reside in the river or trailered to the owner's local residence. His main residence is Taiwan.......... so I'm betting the boat gets used very little.
I'm gonna have to call Flexco back for a different adhesive recommendation. For the aluminum, he said it's a toss up between #6100 Urethane and the #7200 epoxy. Urethane would have a slightly better ability to flex.

Goota love the name of that Hav, redrum :)
I wonder if that can be used for rubber as well since it's a water proof glue. I'd have to look it up in my Adhesives Book. Most rubber adhesives are totally different. But I bet you wouldn't want to use a releasable adhesive. hehe

Just watched "The Shining". redrum, redrum:D

Latest posts

Back