Got sent this photo today

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon

In memory...
Supporting Member
Pro
I din't lay it I just got asked how to fix it

You like.jpg

I din't lay it I just got asked how to fix it

:eek: LMAO. I have absolutely no doubt that you will come up with an effective solution.

I found out the other day that one of our commercial co-ordinators spent September touring New Zealand with his wife. Too bad I didn't know earlier, I would have asked if you wanted to meet them. You would have liked the lad. They had a great trip.

Correct
I was told there was a moisture reading taken before laying
It is the control joint in the concrete
One of the problems of full spread gluing with these plastic backed vinyls
If it was loose laid it would have been fine

And Deb we were over in Europe for 5 weeks in Sept, and still paying for it :)
Moisture issues wouldn't have had anything to do with the situation, would they?

Not much can be done I suppose ...a nice and tall 'T' shaped insert molding would sure look nice in the middle of a room. :D

You said you lay everything in wet, right? I assume you let it flash off for a while?

Moisture issues wouldn't have had anything to do with the situation, would they?

Not much can be done I suppose ...a nice and tall 'T' shaped insert molding would sure look nice in the middle of a room. :D

You said you lay everything in wet, right? I assume you let it flash off for a while?

What we have found is that even though the concrete is dry there is still moisture in the slab and when the vinyl is laid the vinyl attracts some of the moisture left in the concrete to the surface making the saw cut in the slab to close that minute fraction pushing up the vinyl. With commercial type vinyls without backings they will stretch and shrink into themselves. When the concrete slab has been open for say 12 months this type of thing doesn't happen. Supposidly the vinyls are meant to be heat welded on the concrete cuts but this will never happen as when they cut the slab nobody knows what the area is going to be used for. Could even carpet being laid there instead of vinyl

There is a elastic caulk for those relief cuts in concrete i use that can be bought at any hardware store .

There is a elastic caulk for those relief cuts in concrete i use that can be bought at any hardware store .

The only thing which seems to work is time and lots of it for the slab to dry out completely
People have tried everything to stop that inverted "V"
Some guys even tried not filling the cut with anything
When and If I decide to look at this repair I bet I will find the filler to be dead flat. It only takes the thickness of a ball point pen line to makes these plastic backed vinyls to "peak"

Do you know exactly what type of joint it is?
http://www.nrmca.org/aboutconcrete/cips/06p.pdf

Theres lots of product that are premanufactured for those. Moisture seeps up through those things pretty easy especially after the moisture has equilibrated to the top. Patch can easly be pushed up or it can shrink away. Caulk can also be pushed up causing a bubble like line.

http://www.fcimag.com/Articles/Column/BNP_GUID_9-5-2006_A_10000000000000488606

I've used expandable polyurethane foam in the cracks, cut off and skim coated. The poly helps block emissions at the joint.

I still reckon the gap closes slightly on the saw cut due to the vinyl drawing the moisture out of the concrete pushing up the vinyl.
I reckon its like placing a sheet of glass on the lawn which will suck up the moisture from the ground

The specs for glassbacks here call for full spread over 15'. Perhaps this was the wrong product in that application? Would a floating click plank or laminate have survived the expansion gaps?

Do you run into the something with these new backings?
I have even seen the hairline cracks in concrete show through these plastic backed vinyls.
Should be loose layed :)
There is nothing wrong with these vinyls Its that sometimes one gets these problems and the customer isn't a happy chappy
I was meant to go and look at it tomorrow but have another couple of jobs instead

Do you run into the something with these new backings?

We have had a few issues with them, seen them stretch and twist. We full glue them all. The shop we crew for won't looselay any of them.

Had a call a few years ago from a store salesman, wanting us to do 100 yards of one of these products, looselaid, in a dental office. When I stopped laughing, I told him to call me back when he had grown a brain.

I wonder if your IVC FLEX-TECH Pressure Sensitive Releasable Adhesive would prevent things happening like in the picture?
I wonder if there is enough "movement" in the releasable glue as compared to using acrylic glues like we do which dries kinda hard. When you lift these vinyls which we have laid they come up in 1 inch pieces

I wonder if your IVC FLEX-TECH Pressure Sensitive Releasable Adhesive would prevent things happening like in the picture?
I wonder if there is enough "movement" in the releasable glue as compared to using acrylic glues like we do which dries kinda hard.

I stand on my original position. If there is that kind of movement in the floor, then only a free-floating product, more stable than sheet vinyl, would be the most appropriate.

I stand on my original position. If there is that kind of movement in the floor, then only a free-floating product, more stable than sheet vinyl, would be the most appropriate.

From what I have been told this is a large area so a loose laid vinyl wouldn't be an answer. They were going to carpet an area but owners changed it to vinyl.
And Yes your idea might have worked highup :)

From what I have been told this is a large area so a loose laid vinyl wouldn't be an answer. They were going to carpet an area but owners changed it to vinyl.
And Yes your idea might have worked highup :)

I know.:D
.......... I'm pretty smart sometimes when someone else takes on the responsibility of using my advice. :D

Latest posts

Back