Hardi Har Har

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernesto

Professional
Pro
Ok so I finish the 3" engineered Bruce and now the lady wants me to do tile in the master bath. Course she bought Hardibacker. I hate hardibacker. Last time I did any CBU/tile was like five years ago because I try and stay away from it.

She bought it at HD and was sitting in the garage, steamy, hot weather. So I cut it up and laid it out overnight. IMO any underlayment needs to acclimate, even CBU's. When I was cutting it up and laying it out it felt really cold. Course she keeps the master bedroom as cold as a morg. So I said to myself....self, just cut'r up and come back tomorrow and screw it down. And thats what I did. Am I to paranoid? :eek:

I'm not that wild about Hardie either, but it's the best selling CBU out there.

What did you put under the Hardie before you fastened it?

Jaz

What did you put under the Hardie before you fastened it?

I can hear it now.....DOH!

doh.jpg

Come-on Ernesto, tell us how it's done. :D

Jaz

I stuck my turkey sammich under it, dink. :) Oh but I also applied a smeathering of thinset on it....my turkey sammich I mean. Anyway, the OSB was flat as a pancake as I used my turkey planer on the seams and my trusty sander on it. Checked it with my level. You wanna see some pictures? It was only five sheets of the krap, wan't like I had to lift up a hundred sheets of Hardie to trowel out some thinset and throw them back down. I coulda taken them in and went back home but I thought....hmmm maybe it would be better to actually do some work, prep it, cut it, set up tile saw and all that. DOH yerself.

But that wasn't my question. My question was about acclimation of CBU. Perhaps you could address that?

Edit, I put a smiley in there to show you I ain't mad about the stupid questions. ;)

Last edited:
I stuck my turkey sammich under it, dink. :) Oh but I also applied a smeathering of thinset on it....my turkey sammich I mean. Anyway, the OSB was flat as a pancake as I used my turkey planer on the seams and my trusty sander on it. Checked it with my level. You wanna see some pictures? It was only five sheets of the krap, wan't like I had to lift up a hundred sheets of Hardie to trowel out some thinset and throw them back down. I coulda taken them in and went back home but I thought....hmmm maybe it would be better to actually do some work, prep it, cut it, set up tile saw and all that. DOH yerself.

But that wasn't my question. My question was about acclimation of CBU. Perhaps you could address that?

Edit, I put a smiley in there to show you I ain't made about the stupid questions. ;)

Acclimating the cbu couldn't hurt nothing. Better to be safe than sorry.
What are you doing with osb? I thought all your floors were cement.

Daris

Daris, two story custom split level built on hillside.

I'm still kinda perturbed at why I was asked that question about what I put under the hardie. Was I supposed to put something else under it I don't know about. Check the date on this post and pay attention. :p http://www.flooringforum.com/forum/f12/bathroom-tile-surface-prep-1251/

I'ts been pouring and hot n steamy down here, in the 100's with rain and lots of humidity so I thought I'd better play it safe. I'm certain it got rained on as well. I'm not a fan of installing anything hot in a conditioned space expect for crapets. And she keeps it freezing up there in the master bedroom and bath. I was doing the bath floor.

Last edited:
I think he was looking for your answer that you used thinset. A lot of people just nail/screw it down.
See I'm so smart I even surprise myself.:eek:

Daris

Yea, even if I didn't it is not an issue seeing I prepped the subfloor pretty darn good.

Not so sure what other tile installers do as far as wood subfloor joints ie; sanding or using a planer. Maybe they just throw down thinset and thats it.

Latest posts

Back