Help choosing laminate

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valpar3

I am looking to replace a water damaged 11 year old Pergo Vintage floor that was over a concrete slab on my main level. I had no issues whatsoever with the Pergo - loved it and it held up fantastic. I had a busted pipe which caused water damage so now looking to replace after the Pergo is taken up and floor dried out. Looking at Mohawk, Armstrong and Quickstep - mostly 12mm or 8mm and all seem to have about the same warranty. I did not like any of the color choices with the Pergo. If I look online, I can find horror stories for all the companies - clicking, popping, possible damage due to a minor spill. This floor will be running throughout my kitchen, dining room and living room so I need one that can hold up to the occasional spill (I have a cat who loves to play in her water bowl) and to traffic as well. The ones I am looking at are all AC3 rated. Any suggestions on what to get or not to get?
Looking at the Quickstep Dominion and Sculptique lines, Mohawk Havermill line and Armstrong "best" lines.

I prefer Quickstep my self just because they still have the best locking mechanism out there - UNICLIC - which was designed by their old parent company UNILIN, now Mohawk bought them and Pergo. Pergo has adopted the UNICLIC mechanism as it's 5G system on the XP was having issues.

Get an eased edge rather than a micro bevel one because the core is exposed on any beveled product, thats just covered up by a sealer type stain that can wear off.

Thank you so much for the input - went looking again tonight and actually decided on something without the bevel for the reason you stated, it wearing off. Will be taking some samples home over the weekend to see how they match with my cabinets.............also does 12mm vs 8mm really matter that much?

............also does 12mm vs 8mm really matter that much?

Not to me unless your transitioning to a very high or low tile. Try and match the thickness to the tile or what have you so the T-mold dosen't tilt. Personally thats the only reason I would tell somone to go 12mm, otherwise I think the reasoning behind it is a fallacy.

Have you looked at Shaw? I recently got samples in a couple of their laminate floors and I reallllly love them. I also found them with a 25 year warranty.

I think Balterio has the best product on the market. It's cheap and it's good looking and it's remarkably easy to install. The 12mm Armstrong stuff is pretty impressive looking down, but the lock seems a little small to me.

Latest posts

Back