I want a 'green' job

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The worst earthquake in American history was a couple hundred miles east of here on the New Madrid fault. The Mississippi river flowed backwards. It was 1804, so we are really overdue.

Take your Flintstones vitamin bottle full of uranium and stick it under your pillow.

Take your Flintstones vitamin bottle full of uranium and stick it under your pillow.

Without being "reclaimed" the waste would fit into a shoe box. Ya need to get over your fears and read up on this newfangled technology. Even greenies would rather have nukes than coal.

Without being "reclaimed" the waste would fit into a shoe box. Ya need to get over your fears and read up on this newfangled technology. Even greenies would rather have nukes than coal.

Not when they see the real tally for mining, deaths/lawsuits caused by poor mining practices, processing, reclamation of old nuke sites, super fund sites, shutting down a nuke plant. The storage facility they built to hold nuke power plant waste thats just sitting there empty in Nevada....or is it Utah? No biggie, just a few hundred billion. Those numbers are skewed.

I'd rather have clean coal. We do it here in Tucson. The Four Corners Power Plant burns billions of tons of coal. They clean it pretty good but could be better.

Last edited:
The perfect green job for highup

th.jpg

Not when they see the real tally for mining, deaths/lawsuits caused by poor mining practices, processing, reclamation of old nuke sites, super fund sites, shutting down a nuke plant. The storage facility they built to hold nuke power plant waste thats just sitting there empty in Nevada....or is it Utah? No biggie, just a few hundred billion. Those numbers are skewed.

I'd rather have clean coal. We do it here in Tucson. The Four Corners Power Plant burns billions of tons of coal. They clean it pretty good but could be better.

They need to get humpin on the storage issue then. The prez could use his almighty signature to tell the people fighting against the storage location to kiss his keester and just get it done.

Okay then, Highup
Naw, I don't sing nearly as good as he does.

OK, here's the reality of not being able to flip reliable power sources off and on randomly when the wind slows down, speeds up, or comes to a halt, or clouds appear and disappear moment by moment like they do all spring.
On the plus side, as far as solar goes, light intensity delivered to solar cells is extremely predictable all night long. :D

Here's the reality of Germany's green power and it's harmony with it's neighbors. Like I said before, you can't randomly flip switches off and on with large power grids.

http://www.instituteforenergyresear...ys-green-energy-destabilizing-electric-grids/

Read through the 11 comments. I like the idea of having solar power available during peak times. Peak times are in the day when everyone is at work and hvac systems are cranking.

Wind you say? Hell, the wind around my house cranks all the time, even at night which can be so windy it keeps me awake. I could power half the city out here.

Storage of energy is going to be big. Just think, acres of batteries and solar farms. :p

Read through the 11 comments. I like the idea of having solar power available during peak times. Peak times are in the day when everyone is at work and hvac systems are cranking.

Wind you say? Hell, the wind around my house cranks all the time, even at night which can be so windy it keeps me awake. I could power half the city out here.

Storage of energy is going to be big. Just think, acres of batteries and solar farms. :p
You miss out totally Ernesto on the 'reality' part of the equation............ it's downfall.
We will ALWAYS need a 100% fully operational backup system. Any addition green systems will be an additional cost to the consumer. This means if the wind stops blowing for as little as 5 minutes, this backup system will need to come into full force instantly to keep the grid operating without a glitch. Not in two, five, ten, or fifteen minutes, but almost instantly. I'll say it again..... ya can't just flip a switch this big.................... small scale yes. Not on a large grid like the worlds economies operate on.

Ernesto, you have a 500 foot diameter garden hose and you are washing your truck one fine day. :D

The hose's water pumps are powered by wind turbines.

Suddenly the wind shifts, and comes to a complete standstill for 5 minutes.

The moment that the momentum of the water comes to a halt, the mass of that water volume in your hose keeps moving.

Your 500 foot diameter garden hose, which is 75 feet long, has 919,729,865.25 pounds of water flowing through it.

............well let me just say that I'd love to be able to calculate the inertia of the "water/electricity" flowing within that garden hose when lack of wind shuts off the flow within a few milliseconds, seconds, or minutes..........or even an hour. (Maven is way better than me at playing with numbers)

I'd chance to guess that when your 500 foot diameter, 75 foot long water hose got shut off suddenly, it probably created a 50 foot deep rut for a mile and a half and totaled out 500 homes when all was done and said.

Your scenario to save the planet is miniscule and isn't remotely comparable to an entire power grid powering an entire country or continent. I'm guessing Woody from Cheers and Ed Bagley Jr. are good friends of yours.

When that colossal electrical mass in your garden hose slows or stops suddenly........... the results are a catastrophic disaster. ............ask Germany's neighboring Countries. Crank it up, down up down, up down, up down............. never having the flow being predictable.

It might work OK in your own back yard or on a small scale such as a city in the right location. Tuscon is an area where it might pan out to some relatively efficient degree.......... but probably not so if the government ever takes away the teet.
Crank out $50,000 and let us know when you achieve payback. :rolleyes:
I don't think you understand the size and complexity of batteries that would be required. ................the size of a single d cell battery, or at the very most , a shoe box full of them using the equivalent uranium would power a family of four for 20 years. Energy use will ALWAYS continue to climb because of populations and demand. Energy consumption can be slowed or lessened, but will never......... never ....never ever............. never ever get less and less. The world is getting larger. Nuke me. :D

Last edited:
You miss out totally Ernesto on the 'reality' part of the equation............ it's downfall.
We will ALWAYS need a 100% fully operational backup system.

Theres no other way to reply to this besides "HORSESHIT!!! LOL

Theres no other way to reply to this besides "HORSESHIT!!! LOL

Ok, lets make a truce here. Money makin idea and we will split the profits 50/50 We can save the earth at the same time.

LEDs can be 35 X more efficient than an incandescent light bulb.
Here's my proposal:
You develop a prototype heat emitting infrared LED powered 'furnace' to heat homes, and I will sell it and we can split the money. You will be able to afford a state of the art luxury sailboat, and I can buy a 400 foot motor yacht, staffed with a crew of Hooters girls. :D

Ok, lets make a truce here. Money makin idea and we will split the profits 50/50 We can save the earth at the same time.

LEDs can be 35 X more efficient than an incandescent light bulb.
Here's my proposal:
You develop a prototype heat emitting infrared LED powered 'furnace' to heat homes, and I will sell it and we can split the money. You will be able to afford a state of the art luxury sailboat, and I can buy a 400 foot motor yacht, staffed with a crew of Hooters girls. :D

You couldn't handle ONE Hooter's girl. :D

Latest posts

Back