Ipads

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Gen 3 Ipad. It works great with apps, but hard to do moderator work on them. Unless you get the 48 gig memory, don't download music or movies, because it will eat up your memory. My biggest complaint is that there is no lock slot on them, there is no SD/media slot, unless working with wireless, you can't print with them, and IMHO they are a tad fragile.

DarisMulkin said:
My wife wants a IPad. I don't have a clue of anything about them. Help me out here if you can. Is there anything better or comparable to the Apple one? She wants at least a 3G. :confused:

Daris

What tasks does she want to perform? If she likes to read, the iPad is a bit too heavy for heavy reading. The kindle fire is great for that as is the iPad mini. The iPads come 16, 32, & 64 gb of storage space. I have a 32 gb.

Again, there are no printer ports so IIRC wireless is your only option. The lock slot is I believe on every lap top, and stops folks from walking away with them. A friend was just at the hospital and choose to not take her Ipad for fear of someone walking away with it. Yes, you can install a tracker, but even this could be easily disabled quickly.

I believe my biggest gripe is the virtual keyboard. It is awkward at best for me to type anything long winded.

Bottom line, there are folks who would buy anything with an I in front of it, and will swear to the death that they are the best of the best. Then again, there are others who can take 'em or leave 'em. The latter is me.

You Buying ? :D

I spend so much time on the confuser fixing others i don't even want to look at a confuser on the road .

Most likely. The talk is really getting strong the last couple of days if you know what I mean. Thats all she is talking about. Really she wants something she can use at her sisters as there is no wifi there unless she goes somewhere else to get.
We have Verizon so she is going to check if the phone thing can be turned on and off when it is only needed.

Daris

havasu said:
The lock slot is I believe on every lap top, and stops folks from walking away with them.

Got it, but they are so incredibly portable that there's no need to leave it alone anywhere.

havasu said:
I believe my biggest gripe is the virtual keyboard. It is awkward at best for me to type anything long winded.

Bluetooth portable keyboards of all sizes are popular. Also, you can split the virtual keyboard in half and bang out just about anything incredibly fast with just your thumbs. Then there's speech recognition that at the very least teaches us proper English and how to annunciate.

Bluetooth portable keyboards of all sizes are popular. Also, you can split the virtual keyboard in half and bang out just about anything incredibly fast with just your thumbs. Then there's speech recognition that at the very least teaches us proper English and how to annunciate.

His thumbs cover three to four alphanumeric keys at any one time so he has to use his index fingers. Still, he gets words wrong. Thanks be to God the Android anticipates words and spells them out for him to tap.

Bottom line, there are folks who would buy anything with an I in front of it, and will swear to the death that they are the best of the best. Then again, there are others who can take 'em or leave 'em.

There is another group who research to no end and educate themselves about all the available options and often realize, while i products are more expensive- like a good floor installer the quality is worth it.

As a mod here your duties probably require you to read more posts than an ordinary member would so I'll deduce you gleaned that info from one of my prior postings.

I purchased both an iPad & iPhone within a few months or each other last year. I'm saving my pennies for an iMac. I've been an MS guy since probably MS Dos and the smart phones I owned were windows mobile. When it became clear that windows was no longer getting the job done I was left like so many others, pondering my options. I made my choice based on what I thought would enhance my life the most- as I'm guessing so did you. Those are the only two i devices I own and i have no reservations admitting I have become an Apple fan.

Yes, you can install a tracker, but even this could be easily disabled quickly.

By default the iPad comes with a "Find My IPad" option that you can toggle on and off. It allows you to- "find your iPad on a map, send it messages and remotely lock or erase it." Essentially it has a built-in lojack. You also have the option of a passcode that when incorrectly entered ten times will erase all data. With my memory this makes me nervous. After all its not so much the loss of the hardware that hurts the most but the loss of the data and even more extreme, having your identity stolen.

If you're talking about a third party tracker I'm not sure why you would need one or how it can easily be disabled given the built-in security features.

...and IMHO they are a tad fragile

Can you elaborate on why you think this tablet is any more fragile than any other or any other computer for that matter?

check if the phone thing can be turned on and off when it is only needed.

Verizon has a prepay data plan option for tablets that would probably fit your needs. If you have a smartphone that you can use as a hotspot you can save the additional $100+ it costs for hardware that has the cell data option.

I only ask about your Iphone because as said before, many folks have consumed the apple Kool Aid and thinks Steve Jobs walks on water. That is, until the battery dies.

Hell, at my age, i can't remember what month it is, let alone what type of phone a member has.

I only ask about your Iphone because as said before, many folks have consumed the apple Kool Aid and thinks Steve Jobs walks on water. That is, until the battery dies.

I only know Steve Jobs was CEO of Apple, he died of cancer and someone wrote a book about him. I personally like The Woz, even though he can't dance.

Are you saying a dead phone battery makes an iPhone less desirable than any other cell phones with a dead battery or that there's a problem in general with iPhone batteries? I've never heard such a thing. Apple provides a one year warranty, AMEX gives me an additional matching year at no cost. There are insurance plan options as well for folks who are into that. If my battery dies after two years I have the option of buying a new phone at a discounted price with a new contract or have a new battery installed out of warranty for $79. If you know something I don't please inform me...that is if you can remember.:rolleyes:

Hell, at my age, i can't remember what month it is, let alone what type of phone a member has.

Back in the day Mods were vetted.

PS- I have a nice watch and I have to take it to a jeweler to have a battery installed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back