Just wondering

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarisMulkin

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Pro
I'm just wondering if there is anyway to put my little guy here,
301.gif
, into my avatar? He kind of fits my bill and I'm old.
Also can he be added to our smileys?

Daris

Why not ?

Check My Account at top of page > Scroll down to edit Avatar > check browse > Upload photo > Save changes .

What would you say if Rusty and I are about the same age?

Daris

We aren't he's older:p

I knew that, but you're old Daris................ old = sly, cunning and ruthless. I watch Betty White's show, "Off Their Rockers" , so I know what you people are capable of. :D
I need to know who to screw with here, so get back to me on this. ;)

By the way Daris, I'm headin towards 56, so ain't exactly a whippersnapper anymore. Grandpa kept at this trade till he was 63, and physically, I'll never know how he did it.
'could have been that he had a couple of juvenile whippersnappers helpin him during his last 4 years. (that be me and my brother)

By the way Daris, I'm headin towards 56, so ain't exactly a whippersnapper anymore. Grandpa kept at this trade till he was 63, and physically, I'll never know how he did it.
'could have been that he had a couple of juvenile whippersnappers helpin him during his last 4 years. (that be me and my brother)

Your grandpa quit early, I'm 69. But we do have a guy here that is installing hardwood and vinyl every day that is in his 80"s. I don't know how he does it, I got on my knees for the first time in a couple weeks yesterday. I should say I fell on my knees. I didn't think I was going to be able to get up.

Daris

I knew that, but you're old Daris................ old = sly, cunning and ruthless. I watch Betty White's show, "Off Their Rockers" , so I know what you people are capable of. :D
I need to know who to screw with here, so get back to me on this. ;)

High maybe this will show you how us old people are:

Cunning!! Don't mess with old people!!:D

Daris

Last edited by a moderator:
That's funny. I'll never try and snatch your purse Daris. ;)
I find myself not working 8 or 10 times more than working, so I know it doesn't take long to get out of shape.
I've installed 400' of VCT, 200 yds of carpet and done two carpet repairs since the end of October.
.....and those 200 yds of carpet were on the same job. That's how slow I've been.
In the mean time, I have been tinkering on a job for a very good friend, converting an old tool shed into a sewing room....... pay isn't very good. I offered it to her priced out as a 'will work for food' job to fill in when I'm not doing anything else. Lot larger job than I thought it was going to be, but a lot of fun. It's just a 12 by 12 building between their house and shop.
It's involved everything from realigning the studs to make the walls and ceiling flat enough for sheet rock, framing in and installing a new outside door, mudding and texturing the walls and semi-vaulted ceiling, leveling the floor and installing vinyl, installing and painting the trim, and I'm just now finishing up the 6 by 12 front porch/deck. It is complete with steps and a railing. It's been a fun project, but it's coming to completion. Darn.......... her husband is a fantastic cook.
The agreement on my end was pay for my gas and feed me, and I'll come down and work on it when I have time. Since August, she's probably tossed me around $1500...... a little here, a little there. The project was way to big to make it a "real" payin job. I'd be surprised if makin 1/2 minimum wage. Keeps me in some sort of shape tho, for when real work does appear. I actually like this work a lot more than flooring.
Am I off topic, or just Off My Rocker? :eek:

I got lucky. It was a customer request. She bought through the place I used to get 98% of my work from, and requested me. Upon meeting the lady, she said that she had heard so many good things about me from a lot of her friends, and they all insisted that she ask for me to do the work. The extent of her praises were almost embarrassing. I mean, .....I'm not Eddie Van Halen.
Anyway, I was able to charge her at my prices, not the shops prices, so I was able to make $3 more per yard doing the tearout and installation. Didn't get rich, but at least got a fair days pay for a bit over a week and a half.
The downstairs was about 1/2 the job total and was berber on concrete. I think I charged $9 per yard including tearout. Cut some doors and did a stairway and the total came out to around $2000 for about 220 yards of carpet.

There is one cash and carry place still here. One of the salesmen has a son that installs, the other one has a brother that installs. I found out that my old customers would go in there to look and they would tell them that I'm retired, so that they could get the job for their relative. Nothing I can do about it.

There is one cash and carry place still here. One of the salesmen has a son that installs, the other one has a brother that installs. I found out that my old customers would go in there to look and they would tell them that I'm retired, so that they could get the job for their relative. Nothing I can do about it.
You mean to tell me that you don't even own matches and newspaper?
.....not that it would make sense to read a paper that way. :D
Shop I used to work out of still tells people that I'm good at what I do, so that's nice. They just don't toss me a bone anymore. Seems retailers want installers to just punch the clock for a wage and gitter done. I'm not a 'gitter done' kinda guy, so I don 'git' any work.

Latest posts

Back