Maximum install area

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Britinva

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Hi, anyone have experience in installing Hickory solid hardwood floors when the maximum length is 45ft and width 36ft (I am asking manufacturer). Don't want any transitions.

Boards are various lengths x 4in x 3/4"

It will be over 3/4" plywood with an acoustical Underlayment.

I have existing 2-1/4" x 3/4" red oak hardwood that runs 40ft x 20ft today with no issues.

Last edited:
I don't see any issues from my house. 😁
In the "good old days" there was never talk of a transition, so as long as the appropriate expansion gap is figured in.... I don't see any issues.
I'm not a wood floor guy, but different woods have different expansion rates. I'm guessing oak expands slightly more than Hickory?
Wood doesn't really expand in length, so you shouldn't have any issues with that.
I'm assuming (hoping that) the home is heated or "conditioned" year round?
You're going to want plenty of acclimation time inside the home at lived in " temperatures before installing.

I don't see any issues from my house. 😁
In the "good old days" there was never talk of a transition, so as long as the appropriate expansion gap is figured in.... I don't see any issues.
I'm not a wood floor guy, but different woods have different expansion rates. I'm guessing oak expands slightly more than Hickory?
Wood doesn't really expand in length, so you shouldn't have any issues with that.
I'm assuming (hoping that) the home is heated or "conditioned" year round?
You're going to want plenty of acclimation time inside the home at lived in " temperatures before installing.
Yes, home conditioned and heated year round.

There are a couple of areas in middle of width where I could add 1/16th or 1/8th washers when nailing to add some additional expansion spacing.

Yes, home conditioned and heated year round.

There are a couple of areas in middle of width where I could add 1/16th or 1/8th washers when nailing to add some additional expansion spacing.
You're ahead of the game if you know about doing that. I saw that mentioned years ago, but using dimes. I'd guess wood species, humidity changes and maybe your location would come into play as to if that would be necessary.
Again, I'm not a wood guy, but this part of the installation has always held a little interest.

That looks pretty stable. The figures are moisture content outdoors, so the bigger issues would arise if you took a 4 month vacation in mid winter and turned the heating system off on the way out the door.
If you keep the home relatively stable, acclimation of the new flooring would be the most concerning. I don't believe wood flooring can be overly acclimated. 😁

Last edited:
So heard back that I should leave 3/4" around perimeter and any fixed structure. I should also start in central area and work outwards in each direction. They also recommend using 1/32" aluminum spacers if the width is over 20'.

So I think that means using a temporary 1/32" washer or similar when nailing some of the rows of boards. Not sure how many and not seen any explanation of best way of doing this.

Anyone had experience with using spacers?

I'd assume the slightest pressure from any expansion would close up that gap relatively quick.
Hardware stores carry hobby stainless, brass and aluminum strips that could be cut into shims. I don't know if that would be cost effective or not. You can buy a box of washers a lot cheaper than buying a few dozen.

Latest posts

Back