Pad glue

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyure

So with the price of pad glue going up where we buy it here, it's now over $20 a gallon. Got me to thinking if theres a way to mix the stuff myself out of multi purpose. Has anyone ever tried this?

I have used multi in a very thin layer. On very large jobs we used to take one gallon cans and turn them upside down and slide the can across the floors at seam lines and the end. Or small jobs use the back of a trowel or piece of cardboard.
Or just put pad glue in a squirt bottle and put it just where you want it.
You don't say how you apply it, but usually a gallon goes a long distance at least for me.

Dris

We replace the big holed top it comes with with a sealer bottle cap and just do the edges while taping the seams. While we could trowel with the multi purpose, My goal is to not be that guy, stay off our knees maybe thinning the multi and refilling the gallon jug. If we can get a 4 gallon multi for $25 that would be huge savings!

I knew guys who use to do high rise hallways . they get 4 gal buckets of multi

Pour half into a empty , and full them both the rest of the way with water .

The next day they would mop it on the floor . They never had a repair .

They use to say gravity will hold it to the floor .

Guess I'll toy with a mixture and see what I can figure out. Want it to be able to flow thru the nozzle on the gallon jug and set up fairly quick, that cheap multi purpose is famous for gumming up. Then again maybe I'm just dreaming of saving money and outsmarting the manufacturer. Afterall I'm beginning to think personna is in cahoots with the rebond pad makers filling it with junk so we don't get more than a few feet on one blade.

It needs a delivery agent besides water. Me thinks they use water and ammonia. The ammonia helps the water flash off.

Yea some sort of solvent needed. I'll mess around this weekend with it and see if i come up with something. Unless, fingers crossed someone comes upon this thread and has a recipe. Sure would be helpful.

my main account supplies the glue so all i ever use is multi with a vct trowel---another of my accounts wont let me use glue because of the high turnover rate---all i use there is duct tape and yes they supply the tape

Yea some sort of solvent needed. I'll mess around this weekend with it and see if i come up with something. Unless, fingers crossed someone comes upon this thread and has a recipe. Sure would be helpful.

I used to do that kyrure. Water down sufficiently then ad an OZ or two to the gallon bottle jug. Don't tell me ya'll never smelled ammonia in multi? Really? I sure do.

Can't say I've noticed ammonia in any of our glue downs. Thats like the worst smell I can think of.
But never struck me while spreading glue.
Are you suggesting thinning multi with water and adding an ounce or 2 per gallon for flashing?
What about..say rubbing alcohol?

Can't say I've noticed ammonia in any of our glue downs. Thats like the worst smell I can think of.
But never struck me while spreading glue.
Are you suggesting thinning multi with water and adding an ounce or 2 per gallon for flashing?
What about..say rubbing alcohol?

What do you want to do blow the building up? Very flammable to say the least and you don't really see the flame.

Daris

Isn't that what insurance is for?
Theres been many times I would have liked to set fire to some stinkin carpet,
oh heck you're right wouldn't wanna blow the place up

I remember years ago working with another installer and his helper was using flammable pad glue indoors. A flame chased him to the door and he threw the adhesive outside.
I also gave a bid on a kitchen where an "installer" had used turf glue to install kitchen carpet. A pilot light ignited it and burnt the whole kitchen.

We had a case here in Michigan back in the 70's where the installers were using contact and it ignited. They thought they had turned off all pilot lights but missed one. Anyway one of the installers is no longer with us. Fire got him.

Daris

Latest posts

Back