Patch Underlayment Seams?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never do.
I install the sheets tight together and sand the whole floor after stapling.
It's how I was taught many years ago.
I have seen intallations where movement has caused patch (or whatever has been used) to crack and come loose under the vinyl.

Ideally, no patch if it is true underlayment grade plywood. Sand until the abutting edges are smooth and even. Halex plywood underlayment has green X's where the staples go. They say to sand the edges until the green color begins to be removed from both edges.

For me, it depends on how well the seams lined up. If they butt nicely and are fairly level I'll sand them and go. If they're gapped or one sets lower than the other at the seam beyond what sanding will eliminate, I'll patch it.

I always thought the edges of the plywood were compressed a little for the purpose of flashing .
I've flashed thousands of feet , never a problem .

Just spent 2 weeks laying one of these plastic backed vinyls full spread over Masonite which was put down by so called builders. They had big gaps between the sheets everywhere.
I have always said the moisture of our acrylic glue causes the gaps to shrink together causing our vinyl to do that inverted "V" over the underlayment joins. It was proved on this job that I am correct. One of the layers used spray contact, little moisture content of the glue, with none of those inverted V's. Same gaps and acrylic glue and those V's everywhere
Some people say the patch pushes up from the glue causing the problem.
No patch here, just gaps

Just spent 2 weeks laying one of these plastic backed vinyls full spread over Masonite which was put down by so called builders. They had big gaps between the sheets everywhere.
I have always said the moisture of our acrylic glue causes the gaps to shrink together causing our vinyl to do that inverted "V" over the underlayment joins. It was proved on this job that I am correct. One of the layers used spray contact, little moisture content of the glue, with none of those inverted V's. Same gaps and acrylic glue and those V's everywhere
Some people say the patch pushes up from the glue causing the problem.
No patch here, just gaps

Ahhh the the old 'moisture' thing....
It has to be THE biggest issue in our industry.

Underlayment joins transferring through the vinyl
No patch on these joints

MASONITE.JPG

MASONITE2.JPG

I could never figure that out, wether or not to patch or butt them. Glad I don't have to deal with wood substrates much.

20 years ago, I did a job installing some shiny Mannington vinyl over new underlayment. The underlayment was 1/4" Weyerhauser Structurewood, that old flake board stuff The joints showed up a little bit, but within a a few weeks, totally disappeared.
I don't recall if I used patch or not..... I don't think it would have changed anything.

20 years ago, I did a job installing some shiny Mannington vinyl over new underlayment. The underlayment was 1/4" Weyerhauser Structurewood, that old flake board stuff The joints showed up a little bit, but within a a few weeks, totally disappeared.
I don't recall if I used patch or not..... I don't think it would have changed anything.

Was that Gold, Silver or Bronze?

Was that Gold, Silver or Bronze?
.... I said 20 years ago. I don't even recall what I ate for lunch even yesterday. :D
I vaguely recall Gold Sliver and Bronze, but not the products. One was quite thick had some little flecks in it that looked a little like fish scales. The material was so shiny that it looked wet....... that wasn't the kind I installed.

95% of what we installed back then was Armstrong.

Was that the only one in the room Jon or was there more? Also, was this a job that you did, and if so, what was used for the underlayment?

Darol the photos are of the job I mentioned a few posts back. There was lots of those inverted "V" all over the same job. BUILDERS? laid the Masonite. There were a couple of rooms where the other layer used spray contact which didn't end up with any of those V s but the poor standard of fitting the underlayment was the same with gaps everywhere

Sorry Jon. It was early in the morning and I didn't have my ducks collected yet.:eek: I'm up with ya now.

Many years back we worked out of a shop that when they received a unit of U/L, they would spray the complete unit on all sides with a sealant that was to help prevent any of the problems you're speaking of. Worked great! Today.....who knows???

Many years back we worked out of a shop that when they received a unit of U/L, they would spray the complete unit on all sides with a sealant that was to help prevent any of the problems you're speaking of. Worked great! Today.....who knows???

It can see that working as you let your glue dry, I think
Here I can't see the glue drying into the sealer though. Its not too much of an issue though if you place the U/Lay sheets carefully with the joins out of line of sight and no big gaps on the joins

Latest posts

Back