Photography 2

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Blue Heron....

EM GBH fb 1.JPG

I'm about 30 minutes from the area of totality. We're supposed to get about two and a half minutes of total darkness.

It'll go just south of us about 30 miles. There are a few people here who have mentioned it and I'm sure as it gets closer with the news coverage it'll start getting to be a bit of hot topic here. But, they are doing all kinds of really bazaar things here in preparation for it. The state has already declared a state of emergency, supposedly to make sure IF there would be some sort of incident that they can direct emergency services, including the national guard quickly. Most locals are kind of like..."meh."

My daughter lives in Bloomington, IN where Indiana University is (she works for IU) and it's a town of about 80,000 normally. They are expecting almost 300k people to be in Bloomington or the nearby area for 2-3 days during the eclipse. They have already told them not to come to work. They are expecting the internet and cell towers to be nearly inoperable due to all the additional people in the area and hotel rooms are requiring people to book a minimum of 3 days during the eclipse at $1000 / day. They told my daughter to buy essentials because they think the stores are going to run short on water and food staples trying to deal with all the people. They told them they are expecting traffic jams 3-5 hours long around the time of the eclipse.

And that's just one town in the band. There are literally hundreds of small rural towns that are in panic mode.

Indianapolis is also expected to be nuts. Even the rural county just south of us where the zone starts, I'm starting to see signs for "NO SOLAR PARKING" on several of the farms in the area because they keep saying we're going to get all this tourism from the event. They were saying in the zone, that they expected tourism to be well over 3 million people traveling into the area. The local news was reporting that since we're so close, they expect about 100k tourists visiting or staying in Fort Wayne and driving south to see the eclipse the day of the event.

The whole thing seems kind of nuts to me. Many of the photography groups on social media I belong to have been going nuts with "what filter should I use?" what lens should I use?.....etc. etc.. Many of the older photographers have sort of taken the attitude of "I'm not risking damaging my camera, it's just not worth it as there will be so many pictures of it already." I'm probably more in that camp. Who knows though. Maybe last minute I'll use one of my old vintage cameras that I can replace for under $100 and take a few shots. We are open, so I have to work anyway.

It supposed to start here at 1:53 pm and end around 4:24 pm. I did have a couple of dealers in Ohio tell me that they are planning on closing for the day.

The whole thing sort of reminds me of when Y2K happened. There was supposed to be all this insane panic and mayhem and it's all people talked about for 6 months leading up to it and then pretty much everything was fine. No major catastrophic events, no huge computer crashes, the power grid wasn't damaged, planes didn't fall out of the sky.... My youngest daughter was born premature and was in the NICU for 4 months including the Y2K New Years. She was on a ventilator and I remember the medical staff telling us not to worry because the hospital had back-up back-up generators in place just in case anything happened.

I think even if I did have it off, I'd probably just take advantage of the time off and take an afternoon nap. :)

I've been using the crappy weather to edit some older shots. When I took this originally I thought maybe it was a really early gossling that had hatched. However, after cropping and editing I figured out it was a lifer for me. Was quite a ways away, so a bit of a noisy image.

Pied-Billed Grebe

EM Pied Billed Grebe fb 1.JPG

I've been using the crappy weather to edit some older shots. When I took this originally I thought maybe it was a really early gossling that had hatched. However, after cropping and editing I figured out it was a lifer for me. Was quite a ways away, so a bit of a noisy image.

Pied-Billed Grebe

View attachment 18690
I used a Canon film scanner to convert a lot of my Kodachrome slides to digital. It was better and 1000x more convenient than having it done at a local film place, but noise is the enemy.
I wanted a Nikon scanner, but pretty expensive.
When the quit making them, they got even more expensiver'

Latest posts

Back