Reducers

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khq0660

I'd like to have some 1/2" thick engineered wood to replace some damaged 3/8" wood. Currently, the 3/8" is perfectly level with the tile in the bathroom and there is no transition piece of any sort. Is there a way to put in some sort of unobtrusive transition in the door to account for the slight difference in height? I don't want some gigantic, ugly lump transition piece in my two bathroom doorways. Is there a more subtle way to make the transition with 1/8" difference in height? Thanks.

You can modify the wood floor at the transition by beveling the edge at the transition or rounding it over. That will still leave you with a 1/8” difference between surfaces but it won’t be a sharp edge.

If you want the transition perfectly flush then you’ll have to remove material from the back of the plank so that it tapers down to flush out.

Third option is to make your own transition piece by rounding over the edge of a piece of flooring then rip that piece down to 3/4” or 1”, whatever you want to look at, then you plane that piece down to 1/8” and use it as a transition piece that you adhere to the tile but is bumped up to the wood.

You could also round over the edge of a piece of flooring then rabbit out the back so it overlaps the tile.

You got options. How about some pics.

"Mill" your own transition piece is ideal as C.J. illustrates above. There are actually many more custom transitions as well as standard designs of all sorts that you could imagine. There's quite a difference of taste and what one family is proud of the next guy is offended. I try to stay away from the categories of "trip hazard" and "eyesore". Once you exclude those there's still dozens of happy solutions.

You can modify the wood floor at the transition by beveling the edge at the transition or rounding it over. That will still leave you with a 1/8” difference between surfaces but it won’t be a sharp edge.

If you want the transition perfectly flush then you’ll have to remove material from the back of the plank so that it tapers down to flush out.

Third option is to make your own transition piece by rounding over the edge of a piece of flooring then rip that piece down to 3/4” or 1”, whatever you want to look at, then you plane that piece down to 1/8” and use it as a transition piece that you adhere to the tile but is bumped up to the wood.

You could also round over the edge of a piece of flooring then rabbit out the back so it overlaps the tile.

You got options. How about some pics.
No pics. Not installed yet. I'm trying to educate myself a little before talking it over with the installer. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back