Sandy

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here you go, Nick.

sandy.jpg

Our good friend Ken Pierson's house in NJ was flooded with 4 feet of water on the 1st floor. Luckily he has a second floor. The family is doing ok I guess. No one got hurt.

NJ looks like New Orleans after Katrina. And those 90 houses that burnt during a hurricane? WTF?

The shore area was under water .
Up north it took some small trains and carried them up onto the turnpike .

Luckily I'm on high ground near Phila .

And those 90 houses that burnt during a hurricane? WTF?

The fire was in an area called Breezy Point, the tip of a barrier island south of JFK. Its a very tight knit community comprised of many generations of cops and their families. They estimate overall 20 billion in damage from Sandy, about half insured. Imagine how tough it is to get flood insurance living at the shore? Customary to get fire insurance.

Our good friend Ken Pierson's house in NJ was flooded with 4 feet of water on the 1st floor. Luckily he has a second floor. The family is doing ok I guess. No one got hurt.

NJ looks like New Orleans after Katrina. And those 90 houses that burnt during a hurricane? WTF?

But does he own a boat? Man that sucks. :( Lots of repairs and damage, but at least he will still have a home.

I can't imagine how long it will take for some decent sort of of recovery to happen over there. Long term restoration is impossible to calculate I'm sure, ......but getting 'relatively' back to normal is like what?
.........a couple of weeks, a couple of months? ......6 months?

Wow ....we get high winds and storms every year with gusts into the 50's 60's and more. ....but those are just gusts, not steady winds. Trees and power lines down is expected.
The gusts usually the headlands full force, but a couple miles inland like where I live, the winds and gusts are a lot less.
30 mph gusts are quite noticeable, a gust of 50 or so is when reality sets in and you begin to worry about tree limbs dropping through the roof into the living room which would certainly disrupt the PBS show, "NATURE" :eek:

We count ourselves lucky in my area on Oregon's coast, never seeing these type of storms. Worst I have seen is water over the highway and downtown streets because downtown sets just a few feet above the " above normal" high tide level. Strong storms, plus a very high tide are what make the water come onto the highway and streets. Not all that a common experience. Some shop owners occasionally have to sand bag their front entrances and cross their fingers.

...we don't have subway tunnels, water systems and electrical grids residing under the city like New York does. We are just a tiny blip on the worlds map.
Living so close to the ocean is something I couldn't begin to imagine ever living without.
I'm betting, that even with all that destruction over there, that most residents there would say the same thing.

I have been looking at photos on the internet, and I cannot in my wildest dreams imagine my area being devastated in such a way.
My prayers sent to all of you affected by Sandy.

Last edited:
Folks I know on LI got power tonight. There is no gas as trucks haven't been able to get in and out. Lines around the block for the few stations that still have fuel.

We have two power companies here that have sent crews and equipment.

110212_sandy-transport7.JPG

You'd think the gas stations would have topped off in preparation for the storm. But gas can't be dispensed without electric.

The timing certainly isn't good if he actually felt like pulling a good old fashioned "Reagan"
(remember the air traffic controller strike)

I remember when i lived on Long Island and they had the Gas shortage .
They had odd and even numbers on your plates . you could get gas on those days . People were shooting people for cutting inline .
All the time they had hundreds of ships loaded with fuel waiting for the price to go up a penny.
I know this because they were helicoptering seamen to LI for Liberty .
And i spoke with quite a few of them , and they all had the same story.:mad:

DarisMulkin said:

I see both sides of that debate. That area is heavily unionized, it's more of a religion that spans many generations. The union has the end game in mind. There's gonna be lots of work and jobs in the future for that area and I'm guessing they want to keep out the non-union grifters so best to set the precedent now.

Latest posts

Back