Sandy

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It probably wouldn't have been any better with Romney as president. When he was governor they had a huge flood. A bipartisan legislature passed a bill to help and Romney vetoed it.

Isn't this the point where the president and FEMA step in and make an executive decision and override this because of the immediate need for help?

I watched as POTUS said to override any red tape to get things done.

If it were Romney he would have states and the private sector pay and take care of these. Yea, I can see states paying for 50 billion dollars worth of damage. And the private sector ponying up that much money, ferget it.

Lets see, in the whole NYC and surrounding area there are 18 plus million people. If 10 percent of them need help thats what....1.8 million plus?

No one can have enough people sitting on the sidelines waiting for something of this magnitude to happen and fix them in a couple days. This is worse than Katrina in New Orleans.

The subways and infrastructure is not even close to being built to withstand anything close to this kinda hurricane.

Ay, it's just a fluke storm and global warming has nothing to do with it.

I watched as POTUS said to override any red tape to get things done.

If it were Romney he would have states and the private sector pay and take care of these. Yea, I can see states paying for 50 billion dollars worth of damage. And the private sector ponying up that much money, ferget it.

Lets see, in the whole NYC and surrounding area there are 18 plus million people. If 10 percent of them need help thats what....1.8 million plus?

No one can have enough people sitting on the sidelines waiting for something of this magnitude to happen and fix them in a couple days. This is worse than Katrina in New Orleans.

The subways and infrastructure is not even close to being built to withstand anything close to this kinda hurricane.

Ay, it's just a fluke storm and global warming has nothing to do with it.

Try to tell that to the chemtrail worshipers and the tinfoil hat people. :D

highup said:
Try to tell that to the chemtrail worshipers and the tinfoil hat people. :D

I'm neither and I believe there is a climate change. I lived in that area for 34 years and in that time I never recall it reaching 100 degrees. It does now at least once every summer. This year was sandy, last year was Irene and the previous winter was one of the worst on record. Something's going on.

And here comes a low pressure system to give them some more life giving rain.

Theres only so much a limited number of people can do to help. You'd think the surrounding states would contribute. They probably are but also are limited with funding like everyone else these days.

Next time some politician wants to cut funding for 1st responders and teachers, you better think twice about how your going to vote, least your call for help may fall on deaf ears.

Ask The Don how much he is going to donate.

Theres only so much a limited number of people can do to help. You'd think the surrounding states would contribute. They probably are but also are limited with funding like everyone else these days.

Next time some politician wants to cut funding for 1st responders and teachers, you better think twice about how your going to vote, least your call for help may fall on deaf ears.

.............$5 million in case you hadn't checked out that greedy rich guy yet. O just has to answer a couple questions and it's his to donate.

Last edited:
I'm neither and I believe there is a climate change. I lived in that area for 34 years and in that time I never recall it reaching 100 degrees. It does now at least once every summer. This year was sandy, last year was Irene and the previous winter was one of the worst on record. Something's going on.

Something is going on............ it's called average. Climate cannot be averaged over 34 years. 500 years would begin to gain a tiny bit of worthwhile accuracy.
We had record snow here on the coast in 1968........... 24 inches at our house.
1989 we had 11 inches of snow here and temps dropped below freezing for a week and a half......... one morning was 9 degrees! 5 days after the snow hit, there was still snow on the beach. ....and 4' to 10' long ice cycles hangin off the ocean cliffs. Never seen an ice cycle on the beach in all my 55 years.
This ain't an average and neither is what is happenin' now. It's spotty, and sporadic and makes news every time it occurs. If you live 200 miles away from these weather "episodes" then all is normal and "average"
If it's warming........... how come in Oregon, it's the same boring weather as it was 55 years ago? ..........with an occasional 9 degrees and an occasional 102 degrees for something fun to chat about.
Winter lows rarely drop much below 30 degrees here. 40 is more common for a low. Last month we were 4 degrees below "normal" ........it might be a record. ......help help, we gonna freeze to death! It's a trend I tell ya! The summer that never was! :D

FH010002 Simpson Reef snow 700.jpg

FH010004 Snow and waterline on sand 700.jpg

FH010008 Shore Acres ice on cliff 700.jpg

FH010009 Shore Acres frozen tide pool 700.jpg

Last edited:

Other people are helping. Joplin, Mo. sent 30 city employees to help. I'm sure other towns are doing the same.

highup said:
Something is going on............ it's called average. Climate cannot be averaged over 34 years.
Of course it can...I'm not interested in life on the planet, just my life and 34 years is 50% of it. Two hurricanes in two years is far above average.

Of course it can...I'm not interested in life on the planet, just my life and 34 years is 50% of it. Two hurricanes in two years is far above average.

Zero in 10 years is below average too. :D

Just depends what info you want it to be.

http://www.weatherexplained.com/Vol-1/Hurricanes.html

Stuff happens in cycles. Sometimes short cycles within larger cycles..... which we call averages. Ever flip a coin and it lands on heads 4 times in a row? It happens, but it averages out to 50% if you do it long enough. Don't get me wrong, I'd like stuff like this to stop completely and never happen again. It won't tho, no matter what games we play with the numbers.

........and don't ask me why 2000 to 2009 says zero............ I didn't write the data.

US mainland hits by decade.jpg

Last edited:
Everyone was blaming the extreme heat we have had the last two years on climate change. Only problem is, the same thing happened 30 years ago and 30 years before that and 30 years before that etc. It is a cycle.

Everyone was blaming the extreme heat we have had the last two years on climate change. Only problem is, the same thing happened 30 years ago and 30 years before that and 30 years before that etc. It is a cycle.

Mega dittos. Weather patterns are what they are. The news makes, or tries to make anything into a story. People now think that if something different than their 'perceived' normal happens, it's time to panic or do the blame game. If there is a hot spell in the eastern US for three years............ it's global warming.
During that same time, over here on the West coast we are normal, or maybe a degree or three below our normal. No news coverage? 'cmon, westers are people too! :D
If it's 'global' warming how come we aren't warmer over here too?
In my lifetime, I recall two drought periods, I think both lasted 5 to 7 years. Once was in the early 70's and we were told to but quart jars or bricks in out toilet tanks.
At the end of the last drought period quite a few years back, trees in central Oregon were going to start dying from lack of rain and snowfall.
They didn't because out normal rainy crap go back to normal.
In April in the mid 90's, the last dry year of that period I went over the pass from southern central Oregon over the pass at Diamond Lake without seeing hardly any roadside snow...... Just a white spot here and there. This is at over 6,000 feet.
..............no chains needed that year.

Don't worry, ...........be happy! ;)

Last edited:
One could also argue that there is more there to destroy every year, so that is why they get more expensive. You have all these idiots building in the flood plain who would not have been there 50 years ago. Back then. people were smart enough to not build in certain areas.
Just like in Missouri along the Mississippi river, every year more homes are built in the flood plain, so every time there is a major flood more homes are destroyed. It kinda messes up statistics.

Even if you omitted costliest there are bigger ones, more powerful ones and more of them. But this is why they are more costly, they are bigger and more powerful.

That includes tornadoes. The facts are undeniable. The polar caps are melting away yet any sociopath right wing conservative will the evidence right before their eyes.

There hasn't been more tornadoes here and I live in tornado alley. There were fewer in the area this year than in many years. The one that hit Joplin the year before wasn't particularly strong, it just happened to hit a well populated area.

when we have resolved the scientific debate on climate change about about a discussion on M-theory?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-theory

I've watched a few shows about that on PBS. It is a little over my head.

But notice every time high posts a list of hurricane info all the pertinent information about the last ten years is missing. Heh heh

I think we can contribute the lack of tornado's in floorists neighborhood to the drought lately. I see a pattern there as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tornado-counts-1976-2011.png

Last edited:
I've watched a few shows about that on PBS. It is a little over my head.

But notice every time high posts a list of hurricane info all the pertinent information about the last ten years is missing. Heh heh

I think we can contribute the lack of tornado's in floorists neighborhood to the drought lately. I see a pattern there as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tornado-counts-1976-2011.png

Tornados? ............ I thought we were talking about hurricanes. :rolleyes: Why the distraction from my hurricane chart by bringin up tornados? Sandy was a hurricane. You so funny.
Go through this list, state by state and show us a pattern of increase caused by global warming. Heck show us a pattern of increasing hurricanes at all. Ain't none.
No alarming patterns whatsoever. Nothing even slightly worth noting.
Some years more, some years less, some years zero.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_hurricanes

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back