What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a relatively good day that had a bad ending. Around 7pm I heard a high-pitched barking outside. I went to check the living room to make sure I didn't just hear my mother's little dog in there. She said it must be my brother's dog, Shiro. But I said something sounded wrong. It was not his usual bark and sounded like a yelping. I went outside and saw him out in the yard rolling around and yelping like he was fighting something. I thought maybe a snake was biting him. As I got closer I realized there was nothing fighting him and it was just a massive seizure. He was really flailing, kicking, snapping his jaws, grabbing at the grass, and having some of the most violent seizures I've ever seen-- nonstop. I couldn't even pet him or get too close because he was like a shark out of water, shifting around and snapping. I went and told my mother that the dog was dying and then messaged a friend who had borrowed my shovel to tell him I was going to need it to bury the dog. I tried talking to the poor dog in a soothing tone. My mother called my brother at work to tell him what was happening. The friend I messaged came out to try to help. He thought maybe it was a snake bite, but there were no signs of it. He was trying to get his brother to bring his gun so he could put the poor dog out of his misery, but the brother wasn't responding. Progressively the seizures got less violent and he was mostly shuddering. Around 9:45 he did one last heave and passed away. Poor thing. Let my brother know and my friend dug a hole (right where the dog had burrowed his last deep tunnel) and buried him for me. He dug it deep enough that we were able to bury my cat that had been in the freezer for the past few months as well.

My poor brother is really upset, although he has the kittens to console him. My friend told me he saw the mosquito poison truck coming out the day before. I wonder if its the mosquito poison or if someone nearby has been putting down poison. We've never had a problem in the past, but this year we've had 5 pets die (although one was from a snake bite). I'm not letting my other dog outside.. During the yelping seizures, she was terrified and ran in to the house and sat by the kitchen door whimpering and whining.

Sad ! Sorry to hear of your lost Z ..

It certainly sucked, but my concern now is to make sure it stops happening. I need to find out what is causing it. My brother didn't want to look at the body and didn't get to say goodbye. I wonder if we should have just told him when he got home instead of telling him when he was at work. He was crying when he got home. The dog had been behaving better and he'd been training him to do a few tricks. Shiro's sister was also poisoned (although that was provably deliberate).

Meanwhile, went to flush the toilet last night and there was no water. Checked the circuit breaker box and the breaker for the water was on. Flipped it on and off a few times, went out-- no sound from the pump house. Turned on the heater out there and no light came on, so it seems the power is not getting through. Waiting for my friend to wake up to see if he can bring out some voltmeters and check stuff and try to determine why it's not working. Hope the breaker itself didn't die. But, until we get this sorted, we have no running water. I need to get a whole house surge protector...

It wasn't the breaker. I went out and tested the pump that pulls water in to the cistern (by pushing down on the float) and it was working. Pressed the reset button on the pump but it didn't work, so then I just gently tugged on the wires going to the pump and it kicked on. Must have shorted out. I'm guessing some wires are fried and will need to be replaced. I really need to get that whole house surge protector, but don't know what kind to get for certain. The power runs 2 fridges, an upright freezer, AC, 2 window AC units (one down at the workshop), multiple computers, the water pumps, ceiling fans, washer & dryer, microwave, pressure cookers, etc. AC is probably the biggest power drain because the insulation in the house is almost nonexistent.

Also, I finally got off my a** and cleaned the litterboxes. After I cleaned and refilled the first one with fresh litter, one of the cats decided she just absolutely *had* to go-- but she went in one of the dirty ones-- the last one on the end. I had to be careful when cleaning that one, but got all four cleaned out and filled with fresh stuff. Later on I'm going to clean up the one my brother is supposed to be responsible for because he's not going to do it. But I'll wait until he's home so he can keep kittens out from underfoot. Some of them have become proficient little climbers already.

Now I'm just waiting for my mother to wake up so I can make her dinner. I'm thinking she might like some soup.

My poor old akita mutt, Brenda, seems to be upset about Shiro. She didn't seem bothered when Tina and Guy died (but she didn't get along with them). She left food in both bowls for Shiro and when I was calling her over to take her medicine, she stopped, looked around for Shiro and started whimpering and whining. She wanted in the house so I let her in. She looked around, sat down, and started whining again. I went and got Fippy and brought him to her. She perked up a little and wagged her tail. I told him to "give her kisses" so he licked her face and that seemed to make her feel better. I petted them both for a few minutes and then Fippy wanted to go back to Mom, but I think it helped cheer Brenda up a little. Shiro was constantly bumping in to her and nearly knocking her over, but she apparently still liked him and would cuddle with him sometimes.

I had to take Casper (cat) to the vet the other day and the dog cried as we was leaving. Speaking of the cat, did you ever give oral meds to a cat? f I was a boy scout, I would want a badge for "cat wrestling".

I had to take Casper (cat) to the vet the other day and the dog cried as we was leaving. Speaking of the cat, did you ever give oral meds to a cat? f I was a boy scout, I would want a badge for "cat wrestling".
Awww. Poor doggy.

Oh yeah! Oral meds for cats are not fun. I actually request liquid meds and a syringe. Grab kitty by scruff of neck, jam syringe in mouth, hit the plunger, try to avoid claws, and then pet the kitty and give them treats. My cat Itsy gets a pill once a month and I have to cram it as far as I can to the back of her mouth and hope she doesn't bite down or manage to spit it out. She gets over it quickly though-- I get out her favorite treats. I got a thing from the vet that was supposed to help with putting the pills in the mouth, but I never got the hang of it and can't remember where I put it. Looked so easy when the vet did it. When I tried it either wouldn't hold the pill long enough to get it in the mouth, or it would not push it out once I got it in the mouth.

Giving them ear drops is also a pain. I think I ended up with more of the stuff in my eyes and on my face. Hold them by scruff of neck, drop in ear, try to hold on to them as they kick and squirm, fold ear over and rub it in, reluctantly release kitty, cover eyes as they shake their head and make liquid fly everywhere... And I was having to do that for 12 cats for 10 days straight and then one day a week later. That sucked.

Nick, oh man, yeah, giving cats a bath can be a pain. I've been lucky that mine weren't too bad. Had one kitty who had gotten beat up and spent two weeks hiding in the pantry just peeing on himself. Door was open ajar so he could have left at any time, but he was traumatized. He didn't even struggle when I gave him a bath. Although, I still remember when my friend's nasty ex tried to give one of their cats a bath. Cat clawed the hell out of her face and I laughed my a$$ off.

Last edited:
Easy way to give a cat a bath. Lift the lid on the toilet throw in the cat slam lid and flush. Cat gets a whirl pool bath. Stand back when the lid opens up.

:army:

Daris
'
Pet ownership is easy if you really want it to be. My neighbors cat pops by sometimes.
...more often when I light the BBQ.
Cat gets a slice of cheese, or an empty corn on the cob pickin.......................... then it goes home, where it ought to be. :D
This system works puuurfect for me and the cat. I wouldn't want it any other way................. unless Trumps new tax plan allows cats or dogs as deductibles.
I wonder how many people with 5 or 10 (or 50 :eek: ) so called pets would also consider it normal have 10 spouses? If so........... why?
Naw. I just have me myself and I....and my brother. I don't need any more drama in my life. Plenty as it is.

Last edited:
Finished siding my house .

black-cat.gif

Took my youngest son (he is autistic) to the dr yesterday. He decided in March that he wanted to get healthy. He has lost 71 lbs. They took him off two meds already.

Latest posts

Back