What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What ISP do you have, Highup?

I took my cat, Ralphina to the vet for her monthly shots (she has feline Leukemia and needs some stuff to reduce swelling and give her a boost). It helps improve her appetite and makes her feel better. While I was there, I made the vet cry when I showed the video I took of my brother's dog Shiro when he was dying. I took it so I could show the vet what happened. I described what he was doing before I started recording and how long it took for him to die. She was really upset by what he went through and said it looked like strychnine poisoning. My brother asked how he could have gotten into it or what could have contained it-- and she said nothing- that someone must have deliberately poisoned him. This isn't the first one we've had poisoned. So, now we need to figure out if someone is targeting our animals specifically, or just trying to poison animals in the area. It could be my nasty neighbors or it could be members of the local hunting group.

Meanwhile, the trees are almost all cleared from my chickenyard (they just need to be dragged out) and my friend started trying to get to the tree that fell on my barn so he could cut it up and prevent it from weighing down the rest of the barn and causing more damage. He removed some of the ruined tin and said that the side of the barn facing the woods has collapsed completely. But if we can get the tin and the boards removed from the messed up part, it might save the intact part from being pulled down.

A jicama is a type of yam that has about the same texture and similar appearance to a regular raw potato, but it has a sweeter taste and can be eaten raw, although the skin is not edible. It is often called jicama fruit. The J is pronounced like an H. so it sounds sort of like He cuh muh.

From google: "Pachyrhizus erosus, also known as Jicama or the Mexican yam, is a delicious, sweet-tasting and crunchy food similar to a sweet potato, though without edible skin"

So, he's saying he substituted a Jicama for a pumpkin. If you peel the skin off and cut Jicama in to thin slices, it makes a good snack. Kind of like apple in a way. It's pretty good. Now I have a craving for it but they don't sell it locally.

Last edited:
Scary bunch

22886261_1667593159978014_4380475543565891658_n.jpg

That's neat. I love it when someone tells me something can't be fixed.

There's a guy in town with the surname Fatula (and yes, he's fat) who is supposed to fix lawnmowers and riding mowers and stuff. He basically screws them up more or claims he worked on them and charges people and when they come back complaining that they still won't work he just says they "can't be fixed". Said that about my Craftsman riding mower. Gave it to a friend and said he could keep it if he fixed it. Apparently it was an easy fix and he's been using it to mow lawns for some extra $.

There's a guy in town with the surname Fatula (and yes, he's fat) who is supposed to fix lawnmowers and riding mowers and stuff. He basically screws them up more or claims he worked on them and charges people and when they come back complaining that they still won't work he just says they "can't be fixed". Said that about my Craftsman riding mower. Gave it to a friend and said he could keep it if he fixed it. Apparently it was an easy fix and he's been using it to mow lawns for some extra $.
Kinda like my $5 pressure washer.
......'cept it's cost me another $140 bucks for the wand, wand extension, hose, tips, quick disconnects etc.
Still a great deal since it works so well. Initially tried the garage sale route for the wand and hose, but it wasn't worth the effort.
Usually mowers, washers, generators......... all fail because of carburetor problems. The carbs can usually be cleaned. If it needs a new one they can get spendy.

Kinda like my $5 pressure washer.
......'cept it's cost me another $140 bucks for the wand, wand extension, hose, tips, quick disconnects etc.
Still a great deal since it works so well. Initially tried the garage sale route for the wand and hose, but it wasn't worth the effort.
Usually mowers, washers, generators......... all fail because of carburetor problems. The carbs can usually be cleaned. If it needs a new one they can get spendy.

I believe he told me it was the carburetor and they had a spare or one they got for like $5 somewhere.

I finally just got fed up with tripping over trash (bc my brother, despite promising to take trash out twice a week in exchange for having his food paid for, has not taken trash out in weeks). Trash was piled on top of the trash can overflowing. My back was feeling better than it had in weeks so I took the pile on top and put it in a new bag, picked up overflow, swept up the floor-- and filled 3 trash bags before my back decided it had enough. I can't do bending well anymore. Then it was back to working on laundry. I'd just finished drying a bedspread in time. My oldest cat had another bladder accident. Well, he tried to go on a puppy pad I put on the bed, but it got moved and some of it got on the other bedspread.

My oldest dog is no longer eating her hard dry food and refused to drink water when I put it in front of her (I'm hoping she drank some later though). She ate some small softer food thingies at least, but she's obviously not feeling well. I guess she was closer to Shiro than I'd realized and she misses him. I've been going out and sitting with her every day. I have an old mattress liner on the porch she likes to sit on. I sit on it next to her (on the edge of the porch) and she puts her head in my lap. I don't know if the poor thing will make it to the end of the year. I want to get another dog to scare off possible trespassers (since she doesn't even bark anymore and appears to have hearing loss), but I don't want to get one only to have it be poisoned by the hunters. I need to make a call to fish and wildlife to report that I think hunters are putting out poison illegally.

I did get him to haul the bags outside, so that was something. If he's ordered to do something or feels stressed when told/asked to do things, he gets upset and shuts down and won't do it. He needs a lot of coaxing and positive reinforcement. I'm frankly amazed that he actually functions at work, but I think he feels more obligated at work than at home and refuses to accept that housework at home is his job that he is essentially being paid for by my mother and he takes it for granted.

Ironically, he was griping up a storm about a friend/coworker who doesn't pull his own weight and who does bare minimum and expects everyone else to pick up the slack and do his work for him. And he doesn't even connect that he does the same thing to me-- complaining about how unfair it is for him to have to do any chores.

He's off work tomorrow, so I'm hoping I can get him to at least help me clean after I take my mother to get her stuff for her at-home sleep study. We have to go to Alexandria 3 times this week. Monday to pick up equipment, Tuesday to return it, and she's got an appointment with her podiatrist on Wednesday (my brother's other day off).

I'm gaining ground on my router table lift. Got two more pieces made on Saturday and Sunday. Last of the big hurdles. I'm almost ready for the final assembly and then to hit it with some Mothers mag polish. ....hey, tools are supposed to be shiny, right? :D One of these days I'll get some photos so you guys can build one for yourself. ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back