What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fertilized and seeded the lawn in preparation of possible rains tomorrow. Also helped one of our city council candidates polish up for the big city debate tomorrow. Also hung some political signs in my front yard, and am even pushing a liberal....you believe that?

I fertilized and seeded the lawn in preparation of possible rains tomorrow. Also helped one of our city council candidates polish up for the big city debate tomorrow. Also hung some political signs in my front yard, and am even pushing a liberal....you believe that?
There's good folks on both sides.

Our city has a real big problem with "the good old boy's club", who have all given themselves massive raises, eliminated our fire department (gave it to county) and increased out water rates 108%. Many are old Republicans and until we break up this club, we are in trouble. We have a Democrat, who is transparent, asks great questions, an animal lover who volunteers time at the animal shelter, a long time teacher, has her masters degree, and a certified CPA, so she knows money. She also hikes twice a week with my G/F, and is just a great woman.

We had a forced audit here about 15 years ago, after money disappeared. Only water dept. was making money. City manager brought in a management company that his father owns to run water. Now they raise rates every year. They pay the company $1.5 million a year to manage it. We still buy all the trucks and other stuff they use on top of that.

Last night was our city council candidate's forum. It was very informative. All except one candidate thought the sell of one of our parks to a local hospital said they did not approve. One gal, who is married to the attorney for this hospital who is their real estate lawyer, thought it was OK to sell off our parks. By the way, the selling of any park IS illegal (since 1928) without a vote of the people. Tells us alot about this gal. Also, all candidates except the two incumbents demanded a full external audit on our finances. We have 77,000 people in our city and our operating budget is $115 million a year. Seems like we blow through money like a meth head on a binge.

8FCD8D6E-D707-463D-A419-4A5E3FA03A7C.jpeg 607DA463-372F-4670-BE66-CFFCB7FCF4A0.jpeg And so the process begins.

Carpenter widened the kitchen entrance to 40 inches. 3/4 inch door jamb material will line the opening making it 38.5, wide enough for any appliance.
Baseboard is off except for piece next to fridge. Tomorrow.
Mud work will be done tomorrow.
1/4 inch plywood is downstairs. Expecting that to go down too.
Then prep for paint. And so on...

I live next door to a city council member, nice pro-gun guy. But his yard is a mess. Trash everywhere, has not cut his grass in weeks. Anyone else in town gets tagged if there is any mess at all or if the grass gets over 4 inches tall. They put a big red tag in your yard and give you 10 days to clean it or pay a fine. I did cut his front yard once because I got tired of looking at it.

View attachment 7971 View attachment 7972 And so the process begins.

Carpenter widened the kitchen entrance to 40 inches. 3/4 inch door jamb material will line the opening making it 38.5, wide enough for any appliance.
Baseboard is off except for piece next to fridge. Tomorrow.
Mud work will be done tomorrow.
1/4 inch plywood is downstairs. Expecting that to go down too.
Then prep for paint. And so on...
That almost looks like good old fashioned linoleum. That pattern was around for a long, long time and copied by other manufactures. Does it look to have had wax on it or does it have a natural glossy look to it?

That almost looks like good old fashioned linoleum. That pattern was around for a long, long time and copied by other manufactures. Does it look to have had wax on it or does it have a natural glossy look to it?

I don't think it has wax. The pattern was listed as Armstrong 5352, which is reported to have a 70% chance of having asbestos. I am assuming either the underside has asbestos or perhaps the glue. Covering it completely with 1/4 inch plywood. Then troweling on leveling compound to make it look smooth for glue down vinyl laminate. Going to cover stuff up for sanding ceiling and walls. I have a manual 9 inch circular sanding tool and a 6 foot pole. There's a dent in ceiling that needs fixed. I'll do that today as well. Hoping to be done with painting by end of next week.

Baseboard did not come out easily. Most of it broke. New baseboard will be here Tuesday along with trim for entry to kitchen. Will stain trim red oak. Varathane looked too dark. Might go back to Minwax because it's lighter. I want the orange look. Will work on that later.

Tom P.
I live next door to a city council member, nice pro-gun guy. But his yard is a mess. Trash everywhere, has not cut his grass in weeks. Anyone else in town gets tagged if there is any mess at all or if the grass gets over 4 inches tall. They put a big red tag in your yard and give you 10 days to clean it or pay a fine. I did cut his front yard once because I got tired of looking at it.

Go to the city meeting and raise a stink. Say I'd like to complain about a neighbor who has a huge messy yard. Can I get someone to go tag the yard for cleaning? AFter they say yes, tell them the address. Then tell them the owner's name, who happens to be sitting there. I'm sure the embarrassment should carry some weight.

Latest posts

Back