What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried to get some sort of confuzer working so I can see the world again. I've had a hand me down Dell Inspiron for a year or so. It's got Vista home "Premium" on it. Never could get it to dial up before so I let collect dust. It dials up now, but it's operation makes a slug look fast. Not sure if it's gonna keep working, but I have all the original discs.
The "S" in Vista was for sloooow. I had a new one, slow from the start. A few months back did a reset on it. Didn't help.

I actually liked windows XP. Vista and ME sucked though. My mother had Vista. I went from XP to Windows 7 Ultimate. I got Ultimate bc Photoshop 7 is not compatible with Win7 & I was hoping to get compatibility mode running so I could get it to work. Sadly, it didn't so I'm using GIMP instead. At least Milkshape 3D still works.

Yesterday I took my mother for her foot doctor appointment. I subjected her to youtube videos of The Hu (thanks to Frodo) while we waited. I really enjoy their music and hope they make more songs. The fungus is continuing to clear up on her toes. Doctor used a dremel tool with a vacuum to trim her toenails. We went to Target & Mom attempted to walk for awhile bc she didn't see any riding carts. I found one and brought it to her just in time- her knee was about to give out on her. I found the rash cream she wanted & grabbed some more shea butter moisturizer for her feet & legs.

We ate Chinese buffet then went to Lowes. She sat in the car while I shopped. One of my peeves with the big box stores is that people take things out of their bins and put them in the wrong bins & they are not marked well so I spent more time trying to find the stuff & make sure it was the right thing. I snagged a couple of new flanges that could be for 3" or 4" bc I'm not sure what my existing one is. I'll let the plumber determine which one is better to use as a replacement and keep the other in case I need to replace the flange in my bathroom or to use as a new flange for the guest bathroom. I also found a white plastic floor cover thing by Oatey to go under the toilet around the flange. I may get one for my bathroom so I won't have to worry about the vinyl sheet not being cut right around the closet flange. At least it should cover the OSB in the current bathroom for now.

Afterward we went to HD & I picked up some tee nuts & wax rings. Mom had to come with me for that one & there was only 1 riding cart. It was low battery so I had to push it to get it to go faster & went kaput in the last aisle so I had to help her over to the checkout and the clerk got her a chair to sit in while I brought the truck over to the loading bay to retrieve her. I managed to not crack any jokes about rolling her into the pickup bed.

She was full enough from the buffet that she only asked for a fruit cup (in sugar free gel).

My wife's latest creation
52922848_2637703799590158_5511715742657019904_n.jpg

The "S" in Vista was for sloooow. I had a new one, slow from the start. A few months back did a reset on it. Didn't help.
Slow isn't as bad as not having internet. My main PC with XP won't start up fully, and now my HP notebook crawls to a slug pace because it wants to update on a hard drive that's to small to update........ I'm like 5% free space. I managed to get this Dell PC with Vista running, but it's really touchy. Lady said her son was going to install W7 on it, but he can't find the disk.
Love to reinstall XP on my old PC but I don't think I could reinstall Firefox on it once that's done.
I hate W10..... the whole program sucks.

I relearned today why people used to install kitchen carpet.
New vinyl is going into a kitchen and an an adjoining 9 by 10 room. This small room had kitchen carpet. I thought I would be scraping it off of particle board. Nope. Part of it is some thin old VCT...... Kentile maybe. There's a small and a large patch made of particle board in the room on opposite corners and a 20 by 30 inch patch made of plywood about a foot inside the doorway.
Rooms like this are why kitchen carpet was made............. too spendy to do correctly with vinyl. Underlayment is out of the question, so I'm screwin' and a patchin'.

Did tons of kitchen carpet when it was the "in" thing.
This one's an out thing. ....it's gone. We did a lot of em in the mid to late 70's. I haven't decided to fully glue or do a partial loose lay in this small room. The only seam is into the kitchen doorway. It's Armstrong Stratomax in a marble type pattern. Match is 54 by 36.
My reason for thinking a partial glue in this small room is because of all the places where the floor was patched with particle board and because of the VCT. I flooded the seams in the tile yesterday with a gap filling super glue. Material seemed pretty well suck, but some of the tile seams had gaps. It's put down with cutback, not a peel and stick product. It's gonna take a couple of skim coats with Ardex to blend everything together.

Last edited:
I relearned today why people used to install kitchen carpet.
New vinyl is going into a kitchen and an an adjoining 9 by 10 room. This small room had kitchen carpet. I thought I would be scraping it off of particle board. Nope. Part of it is some thin old VCT...... Kentile maybe. There's a small and a large patch made of particle board in the room on opposite corners and a 20 by 30 inch patch made of plywood about a foot inside the doorway.
Rooms like this are why kitchen carpet was made............. too spendy to do correctly with vinyl. Underlayment is out of the question, so I'm screwin' and a patchin'.
Throw some KangaBac in there.

Nice vase (or whatever the term is for it)! My ceramics projects never looked that nice. We had a limit of very ugly glazes. I used gold paint on my Aladdin's lamp after it was fired.

Rusty, congrats to your granddaughter!

Took Mom's confuser over to a friend who has fast unlimited internet so he was able to download win8.1 to try to boot it into safe mode. Somehow the computer had updated itself to Win10 (just as I was typing this I was interrupted by a scam phone call claiming to be from Microsoft)- anyway, couldn't boot into safe mode and friend had to download Win10. It wouldn't let him do safe mode- said the system was messed up enough that it had to be reinstalled. She kept all of her files, but lost her games and most of her installed programs. He installed Chrome & updated her bookmarks & removed IE from the task bar.

It actually took two days for him to work on the PC bc his cat chewed the ethernet cord while it was trying to update to the latest version of Win10. While it was loading I took him to Lowes to get him a new bedroom door since the old one literally fell apart on him. I had looked it up online & they had prehung ones for $80. He wanted right inswing and wanted to have the door swing out of his room instead of into it. Got it back to his house & I looked at the floor and said "The floor comes up a lot in this room, before you put the door in, set it in place and see if it will swing open without hitting the floor" He said "No, it won't be a problem." I urged him again to check it bc it looked to me like it would get in the way, but he declined. So the the three of us (he has a friend mooching off of him who's been staying there- much to his fiance's chagrin- for over a month) put set the doorframe with the door attached in. I had to point out there was a plastic piece holding the door shut that was in the way of it sliding in so it had to be removed. Got it into place and he went to open the door. I was right. It wouldn't swing bc it hit the floor. The floor inside the bedroom is at least an inch lower. So we had to remove it and flip it to the other side of the doorway. It's crooked as hell bc he left his tools at work and I left mine at home (since I wasn't anticipating installing a door) but we got it in and it opens and closes. I took the knob off of the broken door so he could install it on the new one. When I came over the next day with an ethernet cord for the computer the knob had broken so he has the hole taped over for now.

Finished all of the updates & got Mom's confuser home. I got it into its cubby, hooked it back up, turned it on-- no signal to monitor. The monitor was on, the cables were all in place, but it wasn't getting signal. It's either the DVI port or the cable. At my friend's house it was hooked up via HDMI but her monitor only has DVI & VGA and her video card only has HDMI & DVI. I found a DVI to DVI cable and a DVI to HDMI- told my mother what the prices were, she OKed getting both (just in case). I had to go to BestBuy to get them. I decided to try the DVI to HDMI first and it worked. Now I'm going to have to start transferring the game data back and get stuff reinstalled. But, she can now use her computer to do her taxes (that one has all of her tax info).

Latest posts

Back