What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope you're able to get that replaced soon. If it wasn't needed for his intended purpose, it looks like some expensive modern art....... sorry, trying to lighten things up.

Highup, funny thing is, I was looking at the cracks on the screen and thinking it looked like abstract art. I should have gotten a better picture of it before I disconnected it.

Thanks, Highup. Hmm.. the jack I was looking at is around $20 and the slides are about $39. Comes in less expensive than that wheeled rack, but I do appreciate it. With the scissor jack, guides, and reinforcement underneath, I should be able to offset the jack to the side out of the way and have the handle crank on the front.

I'm trying to figure out what the best way to attach a handle would be. I can use parts of a broken paper towel holder. Wood circle with hole already notched in middle. I could make sort of a wheel crank by adding a handle off to the side and then rotate it. Brain is starting to go out on me right now.

That motorcycle jack would be more stable than trying to make your own guides. You'd still have to make a top for it and the base for it to set on so you still have plenty of things to figure out. You might be able to electrify the lift by using a cordless drill and some sort of a flex cable to operate the screw. it's not like you'd use this everyday or need to adjust it everyday.

Last edited:
Roaming world of Concrete to find equipment to be faster and easier
4D9079A1-ADCC-4DAC-BF25-6697484D1B37.jpeg

So it turns out the associates at Samsclub lied (or were mistaken) when they told me the plan covered accidental damage. So, I will have to buy a new monitor. I'm going to go back there and insist on getting my $ back on the plan since they misled me.

On the upside, I got the new serger. The lady who sold it was named Melda and she's 80 yrs old. Very sweet lady. She had the books, the manual, the thread, and even a VHS tape with instructions. She said she brought it just on the off chance that I might have a VCR. I have a couple lying around so I was happy about that. I may have to connect the old huge Sony projection TV back up to power as it's the only tv we have that will work with a VCR properly.

Took a photo of the broken paper towel holder that I think could be converted to a hand crank wheel. It needs some sanding and cleanup obviously. Dowel will have to be cut shorter so it will be the right length. End of the rod holds the metal thing in place and the metal has just enough room to spin a little. I could put bar soap or something on it to grease it (someone suggested that on another forum). I need to ask them if they meant just a regular bar of soap or soap used in bars (as in the places that sell alcoholic beverages). Once I get it all cleaned up, sanded, cut, drilled, etc, I can stain it and seal it (leaving insides of holes and end of dowel untouched) so I can use wood glue and then either a nail or screw through the back to secure the dowel.
1623195439150.png

Last edited:
For clarification: Does bar soap mean just a bar of soap or is it a soap used in bars? (place of consuming alcohol)?
Is it good for metal too?
So, I'm thinking of leaving the handle as long as the metal piece because I'm worried it will crush instead of cut (or crush and cut). It's designed to be gripped in the hand and since the jack will go further in when it is raised, it will be easier to reach if it's longer.
I may need some sort of large-holed washer to go around the dowel and against the wood where the metal parts spin to make sure the metal doesn't cut in to the wood. I think the dowel is either 5/8" or 3/4". I need to measure.

My redneck jack parts collage:
1623208204657.png

Thanks, Rusty. Man, my mother despises ivory soap. Apparently when she was a kid, her parents were too cheap to use fresh bathwater for each kid and she would have to bathe in the same water after her two older sisters. They weren't allowed to use the shower. So the water would be somewhat cold and dirty by the time she got in and they used ivory soap. When she got out, the soap would be clinging to her (as there was no way of rinsing). To this day she hates that soap.

Glad the surgery went well, Tom. My mom had cataract surgery many years ago. She uses I think 1.75+ for her computer glasses and 3.00+ for her reading. I need to find where my computer glasses went and find out which magnification works for reading for me. I wonder if I can get the kind that fold up so I can carry them with me more easily and then use them in stores when I have trouble reading.

I never understood readers... I just wear glasses all the time. How is that not easier?

the in the eye lens takes out the astigmatism so vision correction becomes a matter of magnification and focal distance. When you get cataract surgery, the lens focuses atroughly 3 feet to infinity. It is not attached to the focusing muscles that allowed you to focus near and far. Readers bring the focus closer. +1 gives great focus at 3 feet. +3 gives great focus at 1 foot.
So, typically you need +1.5-+2 for computer screens, +2.5-+3 for reading text or phone, and no correction for driving. There are progressive lenses that do all that as well as trifocals. But they are not easy to adapt to. And prescription progressives are expensive.

My plan is for bifocals of 1.75 and +3, or whatever the optometrist suggests. This is known as an occupational lens, and can be adjusted for quirks in each eye. I don’t think they will be expensive. And I won’t need glasses for driving or watching tv.

Finally drove a Ferrari 488GTB at exotic racing in Vegas, 5 laps for 432$, 1.5 mile course, a 330k$ car I got my money’s worth in wear and tear. Didn’t really care to race around a course but that was the concept. Many cars to choose from,

the slots are not paying out, guess Vegas needs to collect

Attachments

• 9607471F-DE20-4438-9650-49EC578775F8.jpeg
    9607471F-DE20-4438-9650-49EC578775F8.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 4F604CC6-8BAC-4BD9-9B4B-B80F7684179A.jpeg
    4F604CC6-8BAC-4BD9-9B4B-B80F7684179A.jpeg
    44.6 KB · Views: 17
  • EFE32FB0-7AD6-48FE-9E84-61DB9570ABBC.jpeg
    EFE32FB0-7AD6-48FE-9E84-61DB9570ABBC.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 487D7F2B-8E35-471F-940E-1BA682B67BCB.jpeg
    487D7F2B-8E35-471F-940E-1BA682B67BCB.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 17
  • CFA194D6-562E-4754-AD36-0F5D53215C57.jpeg
    CFA194D6-562E-4754-AD36-0F5D53215C57.jpeg
    207 KB · Views: 17
Glad you got your eyes fixed up Tom. I haven't been to an eye doctor in 30 years. One of these days I'll have to because in Oregon you can't get a new pair of glasses without an eye exam.

Latest posts

Back