What did you do today?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who has a good way of coiling up extension cords. I’ve got three 100’ 10 gauge cords that I don’t know what the heck to do with.
IMG_3662.jpeg

Long day. My wife ordered some stuff from Walmart, personal shopper, for me to pick up. Of course when I got there the whole order was wrong, so I had to go shopping. Then I mowed, 50 degrees, 30 mph wind, I about froze. Then, while she was starting homemade soup, I did dishes and laundry. Took the dog for a walk, and I am beat. Doesn't help that my hemoglobin is down to 10. Still have to finish some wood carved wizards I am donating to an auction for some one who has cancer. Don't know them, but it seemed like the right thing to do.

CJ, the van inside looks great! Reminds me that when I went to a junkyard there was a van with a bunch of shelves like that inside. Wish I could have taken them, but they were secured in tight. It obviously was a work van of some sort. Had some old plumbing parts inside too. In retrospect, I wish I'd grabbed them.

Rusty, Did your wife select to allow substitutions or something? Or did they just screw up the order?

Got up early, took a long shower, cleaned the hair and dead skin out of the hair catcher. Helped Mom brush her hair- she was whining & complaining it was too tangled and I would have to leave without her. Went to vote and have her drop off her mail-in ballot (don't trust the post office). She explained that she had a senior moment and tore off the thing that said "do not tear off" and they told her a lot of people do it and its ok. Also asked if it was ok that it was marked in different colors of ink bc she missed some things on the ballot and I reviewed it & pointed it out. There were more items on her ballot than there were on mine. Not sure why. There were about 5 amendments on hers and only 2 on mine.

Went to DMV to renew my license (it expires tomorrow but DMV is closed then). Picture came out horrible. Mom said "Your face is not that fat!" when she looked at the photo. Stopped at Walmart before DMV and she took forever & decided to get ice cream. DMV was fast though. I told her as we were leaving Walmart that we were going to DMV next. She started asking me where we were going 2 minutes later & I repeated it and told her "I just told you 2 minutes ago!" I'd chalk it up to senior moments but she is terrible at listening to people and she's only gotten worse. Went to post office to return a letter that was for the box next to mine. Had it on the center console in the truck. Mom saw it and read the name and said "This is for the wrong box!" I said "Yes, I'm returning it". A few minutes later she forgot and opened it and couldn't figure out why Dishnetwork was sending us a thing to switch to them. I was busy driving so it wasn't until I got to the post office that I realized she opened the other person's letter. I was a bit miffed but she said she forgot. I took it in and explained Mom is a numnutz and they said it was fine. No mail to pick up though-- aside from a giant political flyer-- of which I saw a bunch torn up in the trash at the post office.

Got home, unloaded groceries, put them away, ate a salad, washed some dishes, played with the cats (got a stick with a string & something on the end). Fished for Itsy by luring her close enough that I could catch her to take her out of Mom's room (she's not allowed in but she zerged).

Currently sitting with my feet up.

CJ, the van inside looks great! Reminds me that when I went to a junkyard there was a van with a bunch of shelves like that inside. Wish I could have taken them, but they were secured in tight. It obviously was a work van of some sort. Had some old plumbing parts inside too. In retrospect, I wish I'd grabbed them.

Rusty, Did your wife select to allow substitutions or something? Or did they just screw up the order?

Got up early, took a long shower, cleaned the hair and dead skin out of the hair catcher. Helped Mom brush her hair- she was whining & complaining it was too tangled and I would have to leave without her. Went to vote and have her drop off her mail-in ballot (don't trust the post office). She explained that she had a senior moment and tore off the thing that said "do not tear off" and they told her a lot of people do it and its ok. Also asked if it was ok that it was marked in different colors of ink bc she missed some things on the ballot and I reviewed it & pointed it out. There were more items on her ballot than there were on mine. Not sure why. There were about 5 amendments on hers and only 2 on mine.

Went to DMV to renew my license (it expires tomorrow but DMV is closed then). Picture came out horrible. Mom said "Your face is not that fat!" when she looked at the photo. Stopped at Walmart before DMV and she took forever & decided to get ice cream. DMV was fast though. I told her as we were leaving Walmart that we were going to DMV next. She started asking me where we were going 2 minutes later & I repeated it and told her "I just told you 2 minutes ago!" I'd chalk it up to senior moments but she is terrible at listening to people and she's only gotten worse. Went to post office to return a letter that was for the box next to mine. Had it on the center console in the truck. Mom saw it and read the name and said "This is for the wrong box!" I said "Yes, I'm returning it". A few minutes later she forgot and opened it and couldn't figure out why Dishnetwork was sending us a thing to switch to them. I was busy driving so it wasn't until I got to the post office that I realized she opened the other person's letter. I was a bit miffed but she said she forgot. I took it in and explained Mom is a numnutz and they said it was fine. No mail to pick up though-- aside from a giant political flyer-- of which I saw a bunch torn up in the trash at the post office.

Got home, unloaded groceries, put them away, ate a salad, washed some dishes, played with the cats (got a stick with a string & something on the end). Fished for Itsy by luring her close enough that I could catch her to take her out of Mom's room (she's not allowed in but she zerged).

Currently sitting with my feet up.
She has done this three times, no substitutions, and they have screwed up the order all three times.

But now you have to keep the aisleway clear so you can get to the stuff on the shelves. Looks great.

Yeah, sometimes I have to dig for something if it’s a stupid little job that will take me 2 minutes to do once I get to the tool. Luckily that doesn’t happen too often. When we’re doin bigger jobs it’s no problem because I’m already pulling everything out anyway. It’s the little ones that get ya. We’ve had a couple little jobs this week that have inspired me to work on my own game a little more. Take a guess at what you gotta move to get to my stair gauge 😂

IMG_3661.jpeg

My brother got home after midnight and cooked for me for my birthday.
Got woken up by the phone early & it was my uncle (my late dad's brother). He was all upset & crying. He accidentally called me. He was trying to call his pastor. His wife of 50+years is dying. She's on life support and they are pulling the plug today. She went into the hospital Wednesday and went downhill from there. He's been taking care of her the past few years. I was never close with her but I really feel for him and my cousins. My uncle has outlived both of his younger siblings by decades & now he's going to be a widower. He has a support system in place, but I know its going to be tough for him.

Already had a mild sinus headache & crying making my nose drip doesn't help. So I'm going to try to take a nap.

Regarding CJ's question about cords...
For my 100' cords I use HDX 150 ft. 16/3 Extension Cord Storage Reel FSCR02 - The Home Depot
I find the middle of the cord, hook it to the core, & coil up 2 halves at once. That way I can spool off half the length I need, pull 1 part in each direction, & have access to both ends without uncoiling the whole thing.
I kinda doubt that spool would work for your 10 ga, but I bet you're resourceful enough to make your own-larger & more robust than the plastic ones.
Maybe you could find some discarded wire spools. Maybe you'd only need 1 like I described if you usually need multiple cords for the length (guessing the others would be at full length).
Just brainstorming here...if you make one, be sure the core is large enough that the first few times around doesn't coil the 10 ga too tight. Also, maybe a bucket would make a good core. I haven't worked out all the details in my head of how to duplicate the function of the plastic reels I mentioned. The cranking function is important because it avoids the twisting & kinking that result from most coiling actions.
Maybe these ideas will spark a better one for you.
Oh, just remembered...at one time I used a wall mounted Harbor Freight air hose hand-crank reel for a long cord. It was mounted on the wall next to an outlet. I left the male end dangling so I could plug it in after pulling out what I needed. Unplug before rewinding. Like I said, maybe seeds for better ideas.
Eddie

I find the middle of the cord, hook it to the core, & coil up 2 halves at once. That way I can spool off half the length I need, pull 1 part in each direction, & have access to both ends without uncoiling the whole thing.
I do the same thing with my 100" cords. Only have to use what you need.

Who has a good way of coiling up extension cords. I’ve got three 100’ 10 gauge cords that I don’t know what the heck to do with.
View attachment 17628
I cut them in half and buy the new connections; male and female. Probably done it half a dozen times over 40 years. I never figuered out a way to handle that much weight and cord otherwise. I used 50' and 25' cords rather than 100' because we really never use much of the lighter gauge cords with the heavy equipment and multiple lights/sanders/ginders/welders and such.

Yeah, sometimes I have to dig for something if it’s a stupid little job that will take me 2 minutes to do once I get to the tool. Luckily that doesn’t happen too often. When we’re doin bigger jobs it’s no problem because I’m already pulling everything out anyway. It’s the little ones that get ya. We’ve had a couple little jobs this week that have inspired me to work on my own game a little more. Take a guess at what you gotta move to get to my stair gauge 😂

View attachment 17631

Attachments

• 20201023_150929.jpg
    20201023_150929.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCF6039.JPG
    DSCF6039.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3828.JPG
    IMG_3828.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0006.JPG
    DSCF0006.JPG
  • DSCF6040.JPG
    DSCF6040.JPG
I had a fit the other day at work over my van and the stuff inside of it and when I was done I decided I needed to organize my van a bit. I had a plan at one time to fix that but the plan involved me buying new shelves. Problem there is I just can’t bring myself to drop a grand for them. They woulda been nice though, so nice. I was gonna get the polished aluminum shelves, they woulda damn shined!

Anyway, I’m cheap and I had almost 2 sheets of 1/2” ply that had been in the shed for a couple years. That counts as free to me so lemme see what I can do with what I got. Nothing fancy, I didn’t round over any corners or even sand anything. I did make a graveyard stain color outta all my leftover stains and wiped it down.

It’s nothing fancy but it works and I did save a bunch of money.

View attachment 17626View attachment 17625
Reminds me of the olden days when I was young and adventurous.
I did almost the same on my van 35 years ago but I skipped the stain.
.....the shelves are still fine, but the van is a storage unit, unsafe at any speed.
Maybe should have clad the van in plywood too. 🙄
Looks really nice CJ.

Latest posts

Back