Will glueing down a piece of hardwood cause the floor to cup?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keitht

Jeff Thorman in his hardwood flooring videos recommends the occasional need to glue a board to the sub-floor. Gaylord hardwood flooring educational videos stress that gluing a board will cause the floor to cup. Who's telling the truth here?

I don't do any glue down floors but I know sometimes the first couple of rows can be glued to avoid face nailing. There's a 4 years ago and they I might still make it, called heart coat pattern plus. They had a pinkish colored water-based adhesive. I recall the floor got buckles in it because of adhesive but after it dried they disappeared. Today most of those are urethane and I don't think they can cause buckling or cupping.
On concrete the floors are glued down so obviously it doesn't cause buckling if done correctly and with the right product.

Manufacturer's instructions always rule. Down the road, if there's a problem and manufacturer's instructions are not followed, kiss your warranty goodbye.

I would never do a glue down hardwood floor. But I have used glue on single boards when I could only brad nail. I'd hate to think that one or two glued areas would ruin a floor.

Latest posts

Back