Wood Science Question

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even I could beat that in court.

Most likely, but you might have to go through the hassle of it.

This is what installers need to be aware of when doing repairs. If you don't know if the floor has been installed correctly. And at times it can be hard to tell what an installers has skimped on.
Then if something should go wrong who is going to get that call?

Most likely, but you might have to go through the hassle of it.

This is what installers need to be aware of when doing repairs. If you don't know if the floor has been installed correctly. And at times it can be hard to tell what an installers has skimped on.
Then if something should go wrong who is going to get that call?

Well, I like to argue...litigation is the ultimate in arguing. So, a welcome hassle.

I always assess my liability and when most guys don't want to go near it I like to find a way to make it work. Then you have a customer for life. The odds of having one go bad on me are low but I know they exist; but, no risk, no reward.

Well, I like to argue...litigation is the ultimate in arguing. So, a welcome hassle.

I always assess my liability and when most guys don't want to go near it I like to find a way to make it work. Then you have a customer for life. The odds of having one go bad on me are low but I know they exist; but, no risk, no reward.

Noooo, you argue? lol

I had one guy who hired some yahoo handyman to install USfloors cork, 15ish by 18iish and didn't brick pattern it, straight up over gypcrete. They installed them just like tiles. No transitions in the condo upstairs. I was working down stairs and he was like, why are you installing it like that? USfloors said you can install them squared up. Then proceeds to ask me if I can fix hs cus it is shifting oddly and locked up in places. lol
Since he was cheaping out and only wanted me to fix half of it, I wrote in the invoice, no warranty unless the other half is fixed as well. He signed it before proceeding.
The guy had the nerve to call me back a year later and wanted me to come back and fix the other half for free and got all pissy when I said no.

Another lady wanted to sue me because her carpet came in with a latent defect and I told her I was not moving her furniture for free. She had paid movers to move it in after I installed ther floor. She was a lawyer. It was like 10,000 books and shelves. I told her to stick it. The mill told her to stick it too. The her mom calls me screaming. They both were po'd that I was going to get paid by the mill for replacement.

I've been lucky going out and doing commercial repairs for an outfit back east. Those can be trickiest.

Another lady wanted to sue me because her carpet came in with a latent defect and I told her I was not moving her furniture for free. She had paid movers to move it in after I installed ther floor. She was a lawyer. It was like 10,000 books and shelves. I told her to stick it. The mill told her to stick it too. The her mom calls me screaming. They both were po'd that I was going to get paid by the mill for replacement.

I guess this is where you and I differ...I tend to take up arms for my customer against the man. I had a similar situation and the mill didn't even want to pay me what I had charged to do the job the first time around, they just laughed at a furniture charge. They went on about not even paying "those rates in NYC and San Francisco". Told them I don't care and straight out to get some cci douchebag to do it then. (paraphrasing) Course I'm always concerned they won't pay later so i try not to deal with them at all.

I will often conspicuously add in two or three spots on the contract that no warranties are expressed or implied. Sometimes only limited warranties apply, then I'll outline what they are.

For instance, some folks only want the lite version of a re-stretch.

So whats different? You blew them off just the same. I was the one who initiated the claim and got the mill to pony up monies for replacement. They just didn't want to pay furniture which was a valid point since there was no furniture in there to begin with.
At first I tried reasoning with the woman, then she just got all huffy, thats when she was told to stick it. lawyers dont scare me in the least bit. I laugh at the threat of a lawsuit.

So whats different? You blew them off just the same. I was the one who initiated the claim and got the mill to pony up monies for replacement. They just didn't want to pay furniture which was a valid point since there was no furniture in there to begin with.

I apologize for not making myself understood. I got the mill to pay for furniture even though there was none initially. That came about because the H/O and I joined forces. She said she only wanted me to do the install and I said I wouldn't unless they paid my rates and furn.

Extortion? Maybe, but I think it's unreasonable to expect a consumer not to put their new floor into service. Latent defects are the man's problem they should do whatever necessary to make it right. That's the difference.

I apologize for not making myself understood. I got the mill to pay for furniture even though there was none initially. That came about because the H/O and I joined forces. She said she only wanted me to do the install and I said I wouldn't unless they paid my rates and furn.

Extortion? Maybe, but I think it's unreasonable to expect a consumer not to put their new floor into service. Latent defects are the man's problem they should do whatever necessary to make it right. That's the difference.

O I C My mill wouldn't budge even with her threats of a lawsuit at them. I certainly was not going to move it for free. The shelving alone needed professional movers it was so large.

Latest posts

Back