Worst customers

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
Was installing carpet in a house with no A/C and the windows painted shut. Around 90 outside. Woke up in a closet. Only thing I did not get done. Homeowners had a fit because the closet did not get done until the next day.

I'm a lucky guy. My short list of worst customers is extremely small. In 37 years, I've never had a customer refuse to pay. I recall a couple of times that I was asked if I could hang onto the check for a few days or a week, but like I said only a time or two. I know it's occurred, but I can't even recall who and when.
I have had a couple of jobs that I was very close to walking off. You know, just waiting for one more word from the customer to justify me leaving......
But it never happened. I've never walked off a job.

Was installing carpet in a house with no A/C and the windows painted shut. Around 90 outside. Woke up in a closet. Only thing I did not get done. Homeowners had a fit because the closet did not get done until the next day.

That should fall under the same rules as having no heat during the winter and the windows are stuck open.

I once installed 4 waterers for horses in a stable, where the owners lived at the top of the hill in a $10 million dollar house. The bill was $350 since I was trying to be nice to my friend, their horse vet. They promised payment in 10 days, since they pay all the bills on the first of the month. Well, the first of the month came and went, and excuse after excuse, but I was never paid for the job. Unknown to anyone but me, they had an emergency shut off about 400 feet down in a ravine. I shut off the water, then buried the valve. I won't work on rich Asians any more. I'm sure Incognito knows this place well. it is in "The Country" in Diamond Bar.

Damn, Rusty. Did you pass out or something? Whenever I have someone doing work I've always tried to make sure they were OK. Offered water, fresh fruit (if available) and tried to provide fans or make them comfortable.
If they look like they are overheating I ask if they are ok and if they need a break. I don't want anyone getting heat stroke.
Although, I am one of those customers who watches because I like to see how things are done. I'll offer to hand tools to people and hold stuff for them. Probably the kind of customer that would aggravate Frodo (from plumbing forums). LOL.

Havasu, I hate when people who seemingly have a lot of money feel that they don't have to pay workers for things.

I once installed 4 waterers for horses in a stable, where the owners lived at the top of the hill in a $10 million dollar house. The bill was $350 since I was trying to be nice to my friend, their horse vet. They promised payment in 10 days, since they pay all the bills on the first of the month. Well, the first of the month came and went, and excuse after excuse, but I was never paid for the job. Unknown to anyone but me, they had an emergency shut off about 400 feet down in a ravine. I shut off the water, then buried the valve. I won't work on rich Asians any more. I'm sure Incognito knows this place well. it is in "The Country" in Diamond Bar.
Only had one job that I never collected on. $40, and it was a landlord. She got mad because when I moved an electric stove fire shot out of the plug. The tenant was in a wheelchair, so I was afraid of a fire and left it unplugged. The electrician didn't get paid for fixing it either. Only got one bad check through the years and I collected it. Did have an attorney try to stiff me for $50. My wife called their office 3-4 times a day and asked for the money. Took a few weeks but they mailed it to me.

Ah, life before cameras. You could do your dirty work honestly. 🤣

The normal process for most installers of blinds is to lay the blinds down, unwrap, everything, distribute & verify sizes, & start installing brackets. (There's part of the reason I have 2 new knees).
I arrived with the designer, met the owner & dog, & got to work in the dimly lit living room
. As I unwrapped, I observed that the owner was getting quite feeble & couldn't see well. Then I learned that the dog was as old as she was & couldn't control it's very loose bowels... especially right where I knelt down & spread out the blinds.
Of course I had to clean the blinds while the owner couldn't figure out what was going on.
I'll stop there except to say there was a line item on the invoice for "Cleaning dog's diarrhea off blinds."

Latest posts

Back