Alternative Wood Putty

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernesto

Professional
Pro
I need a cheaper solution to the Durham's wood putty I've been using for the pop outs on my vega's that are splitting and decomposing.

Any ideas?

OK, sorry, phone made it say vega instead of Viga, see the pine logs sticking out of the exterior of the home. They are part of the ceiling inside the house and need patching. Thats a Viga. hehe

You can try this E .

http://www.abatron.com/buildingandrestorationproducts/woodrestorationmaintenance.html

viga-photo-3.jpg

Well I was thinking sawdust and glue kinda thing. Those two part epoxy products are expensive. I'm taking out some of the worst ones and filling the others.

20160405_181818.jpg

20160405_181826.jpg

Couldn't you cut off about 1/2" for a clean start, then throw a coat of epoxy on it for years of maintenance free look?

Well Hav most of the top parts of the viga's are rotted out so bad some of the wood is gone all the way back to the stucco.
A company makes fake caps but those dang things are 65 bucks a pop.

Well I was thinking sawdust and glue kinda thing. Those two part epoxy products are expensive. I'm taking out some of the worst ones and filling the others.

When i did the Alley's we mixed the saw dust from the wood we cut with a little Elmer's . Worked great . PS: We used the white Elmer's .

When i did the Alley's we mixed the saw dust from the wood we cut with a little Elmer's . Worked great . PS: We used the white Elmer's .

For flooring work I've always had good luck with the yellow carpenter's wood glue and the sawdust- from whatever wood we're using----or the white glue if I need to match a lighter wood stain or with a very light color linoleum.

I'm just confused because it looks like this is an EXTERIOR condition. I just don't know how the latex (Elmer's) holds up outdoors. I don't expect it would like the extremes of temperature and humidity.

Latest posts

Back