DIYer Looking For Help No T&G Flloring Install

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertv2

Looking for the procedure for installing 8" wide plank cedar flooring that has no T&G. I am looking for the rustic look so this is why I choose to go this way, it being super cheap helps as well.

I can find no detailed procedure for this install. Help please. It would be great if someone could recommend a book that may have this as well.

I have read plenty about the benefits of T&G but I am still wanting to go this way so let me know what your experiences have been and what works best for this install. I do lots of DIY stuff so I am prepared for the extra work involved with this.

I've done a few of these. You might try using cut nails (old square nails) top nailed....it's a really rustic look.

I am installing Cedar planks 8" wide over plywood sub-floor.

Thanks for the link Ernesto. Ill go check it out right now.

I am definitely looking for a step by step to install these floors.

robertv2 said:
I am installing Cedar planks 8" wide over plywood sub-floor...

I am definitely looking for a step by step to install these floors.

Contact the flooring manufacturer.

Techniques range from the old cut nail, to drill, screw and plug, to nailers specifically made for top nailing. Just depends on the look you want.

CedarFloorDrawing.png

Actually the boards are 3/4 thick (sorry about that). I have been told/read the following.

Face nail boards
Glue the ends only (basically where they are nailed down)
Glue the entire board

What is best? Nail only, glue ends or glue entire board? Boards will be nailed whether glue is used or not.

What kind of issues should I expect? With each installation.

To what extent should I go to push boards together when installing. I have read folks have used some sort of jack to push them together before nailing them down? How does this work?

Any more hints at technique would be much appreciated. Will likely do this within the next week.

If it were me...I would use a router with a 3/8" rabbiting bit and make a ship lap on each board. Then use cut nails to fasten boards (screws and plugs would look cool also). You will need to use a asphalt vapor barrier...don't forget. Gluing boards that wide is asking for trouble, I wouldn't do it.

Latest posts

Back