Hump and No Grind

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JM123456

I figured I would have a creative title..

We are adding an addition to our kitchen - so our kitchen and new addition will have new hardwood floors. However, the rest of our house has very old hardwood floors with a pronounced hump from the support beam (above 2 inches high). We had an engineer look at it and it is not moving more...but it cannot be leveled within the structure of the house (meaning we cannot raise the beam, walls, etc. without epic damage.)

The contractor we have for the addition quoted us about $25,000-$35,000 to extend the floors throughout the house. He justified this cost because, to fix the hump, he would have to either shim the new floors to be level with hump throughout or sand down the main beam and joists once he pulled up the subfloors. His costs actually seem fair if he does those it like that, but has anyone used a different method that they would recommend?

Either way, this is money that I would like to avoid. The floors are way too old to be sanded and restained (pre-Civil War floors) because the nail heads are popping in some spots and there is not enough wood left to sand/grind them down.

The contractor said he would recommend keeping the old floors, but is there anything that I can do to make them look nicer? Can I fill in the gaps (there are some) and put a layer of epoxy on it? The contractor says they will last forever, but if I can't improve their look somehow then my wife will never go for it.

Thoughts?

Appreciate all of the help.

Two questions----------

1. Salvage/restore existing wood floor

2. Correct (or adapt to) structural issues.

Both questions require very specific information. Can you take decent photos with a variety of angles and perspectives before we even get into the particulars? Well lit close-ups of the old wood as well as broader looks of the whole floor plan would be helpful. Can you get underneath the floor to reinforce or alter the structure?

Latest posts

Back