nafco?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken

Professional
Pro
Anyone have any experience installing nafco with grout? I have a job coming up which was supposed to be subbed out to another installer but as it turns out he can't pass a background check. I'm considering doing it myself. It seems pretty thick. What can I cut it with? I'm sure I can score and snap straights but how about notches and holes? Thanks guys.

Ken said:
Anyone have any experience installing nafco with grout? I have a job coming up which was supposed to be subbed out to another installer but as it turns out he can't pass a background check. I'm considering doing it myself. It seems pretty thick. What can I cut it with? I'm sure I can score and snap straights but how about notches and holes? Thanks guys.

DO YOU MEAN NAVCO? LOL! Its a LVT luxury vinyl tile! Right?
We use a Drill to drill the holes and use a jig saw with a fine tooth blade for notches. Make sure you square room off draw the lines with a pencil when you glue over pencil the glue drys clear. Soyou will be able to see the lines after glue drys. Make sure you use the right glueing trowel. Read the instructions VERY CAREFULLY of what trowel size to get and the right glue to use, its usually a Pressure sensitive glue. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT LEAVE ANY PUDDLING GLUE, i WILL TROWL A AREA WIPE TROWL OFF on the next area to glue AND TROWL OVER THE SAME wet glued AREA AGAIN, THE GLUE IS THIN LIKE MILKY IT WILL SPLASH , SO BE CAREFUL AND MAKE SURE GLUE DRYS TO THE TOUCH BEFORE PUTTING ANY TILES DOWN. start from the outside of room going in! DONT GET IMPATIENT! Make sure you roll with a 75 lb roller really good before putting grout. READ WHEN ITS BEST TO PUT GROUT IN. The directions is on the box if you follow that. You will do just fine!
WARNING, WARNING, WARNING:
DO NOT USE ANY OTHER GLUE BUT WHAT THEY RECOMMEND!
Other wise you will really regret it!
Ask GUMP who is on this, His brother thought to use a different glue maybe to save his brother some money, but It turned into a costly nightmare.
IM JUST GIVING YOU FAIR WARNING,
Good luck

No, its definitely called NAFCO. Its a tarkett product. On the price sheet from my distributor it also says permastone. I think that may just be the product line. They recommend Qbond for this product. I have no issues following the specs on this one and appreciate the input. I am curious as to how you strike a line down the length of a room with a pencil though. Wouldnt it be easier with a chalk line?

Sounds like Duraceramic. It comes backed with adhesive, then you trowel on a very thin application of DS100 DuraSet Adhesive. Sticks like no other floor in the world cept maybe contact adhesive, maybe even better.

Ken said:
... youre not supposed to add glue to a product that comes with it already applied.

It's certainly not unheard of.

Permastone has ceramic particles mixed into its urethane wear layer. It's a bit tougher on knife blades but you can score it. Heat helps with more intricate cuts.

Does this one have the built in grout joints?

Not congo, Tarkett. You can order it with the groutlines or without and butt them together or grout it. Duraceramic was mostly limestone and cracked very easily if the subfloor wasnt perfect. NAFCO is mostly vinyl and a lot more forgiving.

Isn't that a Congo product?

Yes, I believe it was the first one of it's type. You can custom cut the edges and hot roll them to form a factory type bevel.

50214-duraceramic%20011.jpg

Ken said:
No, its definitely called NAFCO. Its a tarkett product. On the price sheet from my distributor it also says permastone. I think that may just be the product line. They recommend Qbond for this product. I have no issues following the specs on this one and appreciate the input. I am curious as to how you strike a line down the length of a room with a pencil though. Wouldnt it be easier with a chalk line?

Your right! Nafco! My bad, lol Yeah it would be easier to strike a chalk line. My husband does but he also puts a dark pencil line ware he will start first row of tiles to see it through the glue, Just to start off. Then once first row of tiles are started, it all goes pretty good. Its Just So you have a line squared to start with. I don't know what rm your doing? Kitchen, dining, bath rm i dont know what kind of floor you are going over if its a concrete or wood subfloor is it going over a vinyl floor?? I don't know all the details of what you are facing. But their is factors you will need to do over and on certain floors it's going on. But going over vinyl on a wood floor we put a whole new subfloor dn. with luan first and we make sure its level then we skim coated seams of the luan subfloor and level as needed. He squares to cabinets so he don't have a sliver of a piece to put in under the toe kick of cabinet. or you can square to walls! Which ever square ing would be easier for you.
But once you glue the whole area of floor ware you want this installed you CAN NOT walk on glue even if its dry. You can not start from center of room like regular tile. You have to start from outside of room and work your way in. Otherwise you will contaminate the glue thus leaving dust particles that will cause glue not to stick. believe me you don't want that!
Im sorry I wasn't very detailed. We have this in our house and we love it so far. It's only been since last September. Its so easy to work with and so easy to clean i love it! We did not grout ours.
We have installed it in other homes with and without the grout, Some people prefer the grouted look. It Looks nice either way.
Before anything make sure sub floor is level and up to the standards the directions on the box says. Also the tile has grout lines on two side only, so you will have to make sure all the tiles are going the same direction. Other wise it won't look good.
Sorry! Lol hope this helps, I think you can do this. It isn't that hard. Just don't try to cut corners on the leveling and the sub floor and glue, and you will do fine. And you will love it.
If I can do it and I am a 48 year old woman, than I know you can. Lol we have been doing flooring for 20 years.
Have fun show us pictures when your done.

Ken said:
Not a fan Maven?

Sorry Ken, if I offended u! I've installed this vinyl Tile in manny homes and I'm going to do 675sf in a kitchen laundry rm and entry hall and pantry. You just need to look up the the mill specs, and follow what they say for installation directions . We are doing a entry and a 1/2 bath rm today with grout. From what i understand and was told, NAFCO makes all the Luxury Vinyl Tile. Lowe's Mennards Home Depot all usually have the cheaper bran that's a peel and stick. Usually The box of tiles says everything on them. Some have it written inside the box just cut the sides and look inside.
It will tell you what glues and grout to use and how to do the job you want.
Hope your job goes well

Oh not at all. I'm sorry. I meant what were your feelings on tarkett? You're previous comment led me to believe that you weren't a fan of their products. I'm always open to some honest feedback about anything, especially products I haven't installed yet. No offense taken at all, lol. If you had a bad experience with the products, I'd have liked to find out.

Ken said:
Oh not at all. I'm sorry. I meant what were your feelings on tarkett? You're previous comment led me to believe that you weren't a fan of their products. I'm always open to some honest feedback about anything, especially products I haven't installed yet. No offense taken at all, lol. If you had a bad experience with the products, I'd have liked to find out.

O good, I'm sorry I misunderstood! I'm really new to this all! To answer your question The LVT Luxury vinyl tile is beautiful and installer friendly. One thing I've noticed is that you don't want to wait too long to roll it. Otherwise tile will not stick and you have to pull up the tile and re glue it. We troweled the glue with a 1/16 TROWL , some LVT's says to wait until glue is dry to the touch, today this LVT from Mannington said not to allow to dry completely we had the grout less tile this time, so we had to use the 1/8th spacers for grouting. Once rolled really good it says you can grout right away! Which is nice. I really liked that.
We do not like the LVT luxury vinyl planks at all! It is way harder to work with, they are a floating floor do you know it? I think Armstrong makes them they have that tile look as well, they have a really sticky upper and lower tabs that suck to get together, hard to cut in. Let's just say laminate flooring is way easier, or installer friendly. Ken you may just enjoy installing this, the worse part is prepping the floor. Which has to be done anyways. you mentioned a peel and stick, I've never installed it. But if it's as sticky as the armstrong planks, I personally would put a lite coat of glue, for the mer fact it would be easier to position the tile and have a better adherence transfer especially if it don't have the factory grout. I don't know if we can do that! I'm just saying on a personal note! Only because I would think it would be harder to stick the pre glued tile on the floor and on top of that try to make a grout valley. If you use the recommended glue and put a thin coat of glue to the floor it would give time for you to maneuver the tiles ware you want it. Pluses I know the peel and stick Tarkett Tiles are a thinner tile once down it maybe not be a easy take up. Tarkett has a few different thickness the peel and stick I believe are the thinnest . I'm not sure how good it is for looks or installer friendly. Let me know how it does ok? Thanks for your reply. I appreciate that! Have a great day.

OK, I have what I think may be a stupid question. I have installed quite a bit of ceramic tile and quite a bit of locking/floating vinyl but never the glue down vinyl tiles with the grout so bare with me. How are you supposed to use the spacers with the vinyl tiles? Do you use the same spacers as regular tile? Do they stick to the glue? When do you pull them out so you can roll the floor if your sitting on the tiles that youve already installed to continue installing the rest of the floor? I think Im having logistical issues, lol.

Latest posts

Back