nafco?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I have what I think may be a stupid question. I have installed quite a bit of ceramic tile and quite a bit of locking/floating vinyl but never the glue down vinyl tiles with the grout so bare with me. How are you supposed to use the spacers with the vinyl tiles? Do you use the same spacers as regular tile? Do they stick to the glue? When do you pull them out so you can roll the floor if your sitting on the tiles that youve already installed to continue installing the rest of the floor? I think Im having logistical issues, lol.

Ken, the one I have pictured above only needs the tile spacers to set them, sticks so much you do not need to worry about movement afterwards. If you zoom in on the pic you can see the spacers I was using. I think they were 3/16.

Do they stick enough to sit on them and keep installing in front of you?

Oh hell yea. The DuraCeramic comes backed with adhesive out of the box. And when you trowel on the adhesive on the floor and it sets up you better have it exactly in place cus it sticks better than contact adhesive.

Not bad for my first try?

ForumRunner_20130409_155231.jpg

The actual NAFCO tiles were real easy to score and snap. I used a jigsaw with a laminate floor blade for other cuts, which worked great. My only complaint is that the Q-bond adhesive that the company recommends takes FOREVER to dry before you can set the tile. Im talking hours. I spread the glue in a little 4x5 half bath this morning, went to do an estimate in the next town over, grabbed lunch, stopped by the beach where my wife and daughter were hanging out for a while, came back to the jobsite, and installed 3/4 of a bedroom in laminate before the glue had changed color and dried so I could set the tile. I understand that drying time varies depending on jobsite conditions but it was 75 degrees today on the island and I had all the windows open. Not very productive, good thing Im doing the rest of the house in laminate or I would have been sitting around with my thumb up...well you understand.

Ken said:
... the Q-bond adhesive that the company recommends takes FOREVER to dry before you can set the tile. Im talking hours.

Did you consider the wet set method?

I had already purchased the Q-bond and wet set for this particular product (i believe) isn't recommended. However, that may be a thought for next time.

If you wet set it thats like giving the finger to the next guy who has to take it up.

I can't imagine waiting for adhesive to dry. Usually I have to work around the installation window closing prematurely. What if that would have happened while you spent half the day gallivanting?

The adhesive has to dry, it turns from white to translucent, and then you have 6 hours to install the tiles in the glue youve spread. I was probably out for about 2. Still, a bit frustrating that it took so long.

Latest posts

Back