Photography 2

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the contrast of the red with the blue. :)
EM Bluebird 7.jpg

Here's a big ole' fat Blue Bird Daris! I took this one on New Year's Day at a local county nature preserve. The earlier ones I posted are all from the marsh near my office. I think it's amazing how much color variation there is in just one kind of bird. They go from really light to very dark.
MCP Bluebird 2.jpg

This is a juvenile Bald Eagle. This is what they look like for the first couple of years. Then their body feathers darken, and they get their white head plummage. He was in a group of five and flew down to see what I was doing when I was walking along the river to get nearer to the adults.
SR Juvenile BE 1.jpg

This had to be one of the biggest Blue Jays I've ever seen. He was probably 12" to 14" long from beak to tail. Was playing hide-and-go seek with me when I was walking down this trail of trees. He would jump down to the ground walk a ways and then hop up on a lower branch in a tree. As soon as I would get ready to take his picture, he'd hop down to the ground. I caught him here just as he went to hop down. They make a lot of racket with their calls and alerts to.
EM Bluejay 5 12-24.jpg

Hairy Woodpecker. Just "hanging" around. :)
View attachment 18164
Is there a dome over the place where you shoot? It's like there's two of everything and they can't get away from you. 😁. It's not just seeing all of them, the pictures are so nice.
Here's one of my daily closeups. It's a daily routine. One morning I fed over 70..... they just kept coming. There so tiny, but they go for the largest peanut.
Lots of Junkos too, but they won't come closer than 3 or 4 feet.

Attachments

• VID_20231225_103800225.mp4
    22.9 MB
Thanks Hi!

No dome! Unfortunately, I shoot and miss quite a few too. Or, at least, shoot and get a blurry shot anyway. :)

I'm blessed that the marsh is pretty close to me (work) so I try and go as often as possible. I generally get out on the weekends both days and I try to go in the evenings as the light allows. It's been so damn cold though, I've been stuck inside for the past 8 days and I'm going a bit stir crazy. Since I haven't been able to get out I've been editing shots from the past few months.

After being consistent in the places that I go to nearby, I've started to learn the better times for certain birds. The biggest variable though is the weather. What is a normal "hot spot" can turn into a big zero if a significant weather change happens. So, you have to kind of wait out the weather and go to the spots that it favors for the birds who like the particular weather that day. At least right now with the cold that's what's happening. Colder and windier usually means go to the spots where the water birds (ducks, geese, herons, kingfishers) are. Warmer calmer days, go to the spots where the small birds - Bluejays, Cardinals, Sparrows, Starlings, Woodpeckers, Flickers) are. The big birds like Eagles, Hawks, & Falcons seem to be less effected by the weather. You can usually find them in about all conditions.

A lot of these shots I posted are from November and December. The last 10 days, I'm still seeing birds, but I'm seeing them while I'm driving back and forth from the office to home or when I'm running from my office to the car. With my arthritis, I don't seem to be able to tolerate the cold too well. :) It's hell getting old. I wanted to try and get out on the way home tonight but right now the wind is pretty brisk. I might try to slide into a small preserve that I pass by on my way home for a few minutes just to get out, but it all depends on if the wind gets any better.

We're having a "balmy" day today. The temps been about -4 to 8 degrees with the windchill being in the -15 to -25 range today it's about 15 with a windchill of about -10. We didn't even really get any significant snow until this past weekend. Only about an inch but that's about the most we've had this winter.

Of course when I sit still for this long I get bad G.A.S (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). I bought this about a week ago while suffering an attack :) . It's a Nikon D810. It's an older camera but it's a high-res (36 megapixel) full frame sensor. I'm dying to get out in the field with it.

View attachment Nikon D810.JPG

Thanks Hi!

No dome! Unfortunately, I shoot and miss quite a few too. Or, at least, shoot and get a blurry shot anyway. :)

I'm blessed that the marsh is pretty close to me (work) so I try and go as often as possible. I generally get out on the weekends both days and I try to go in the evenings as the light allows. It's been so damn cold though, I've been stuck inside for the past 8 days and I'm going a bit stir crazy. Since I haven't been able to get out I've been editing shots from the past few months.

After being consistent in the places that I go to nearby, I've started to learn the better times for certain birds. The biggest variable though is the weather. What is a normal "hot spot" can turn into a big zero if a significant weather change happens. So, you have to kind of wait out the weather and go to the spots that it favors for the birds who like the particular weather that day. At least right now with the cold that's what's happening. Colder and windier usually means go to the spots where the water birds (ducks, geese, herons, kingfishers) are. Warmer calmer days, go to the spots where the small birds - Bluejays, Cardinals, Sparrows, Starlings, Woodpeckers, Flickers) are. The big birds like Eagles, Hawks, & Falcons seem to be less effected by the weather. You can usually find them in about all conditions.

A lot of these shots I posted are from November and December. The last 10 days, I'm still seeing birds, but I'm seeing them while I'm driving back and forth from the office to home or when I'm running from my office to the car. With my arthritis, I don't seem to be able to tolerate the cold too well. :) It's hell getting old. I wanted to try and get out on the way home tonight but right now the wind is pretty brisk. I might try to slide into a small preserve that I pass by on my way home for a few minutes just to get out, but it all depends on if the wind gets any better.

We're having a "balmy" day today. The temps been about -4 to 8 degrees with the windchill being in the -15 to -25 range today it's about 15 with a windchill of about -10. We didn't even really get any significant snow until this past weekend. Only about an inch but that's about the most we've had this winter.

Of course when I sit still for this long I get bad G.A.S (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). I bought this about a week ago while suffering an attack :) . It's a Nikon D810. It's an older camera but it's a high-res (36 megapixel) full frame sensor. I'm dying to get out in the field with it.

View attachment 18179
You're officially an addict. No cure, so be content and live with it. 😉
If I had one of those, I'd be tempted to go out and use it. Nice camera.

Latest posts

Back