Photography 2

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mt. Shasta by us on a beautiful day. It's 14,080 feet up there. Been up to about 10,000, but never to the top. Talked with a friend of mine when he was 83. He'd been to the top 31 times doing surveys. Last trip he was 81. Tough old goat.

P1010007.jpg

Mt. Shasta by us on a beautiful day. It's 14,080 feet up there. Been up to about 10,000, but never to the top. Talked with a friend of mine when he was 83. He'd been to the top 31 times doing surveys. Last trip he was 81. Tough old goat.
In a normal February, how deep in the snow would you be standing in? Wow....... looks like 1994. That year, in February I made it up to 4300 feet 60 miles east of here, and there was no snow to be seen even on the north sides of the mountains.

In a normal February, how deep in the snow would you be standing in? Wow....... looks like 1994. That year, in February I made it up to 4300 feet 60 miles east of here, and there was no snow to be seen even on the north sides of the mountains.

This picture was taken about 8 years ago in the summer. If it was winter, I'd be standing in 2-4 feet on average. Historic snows have been in the 10-12 foot range. Last one like that was in Dec, 1955. It's eruption history is about every 200 years, and the last one was 1786. Some geologist say it goes off around every 200 years. Lava tubes in the flats surrounding it still have steam coming from them. So something is still brewing down there.

You live in a neat area Darol
Would love to come and visit one day

That would be nice Jon. We'll see who crosses the pond first.:D

I was going through my slide collection and came upon this sequence. It's from February '90. Usually, I recall almost immediately where a photo was taken and events about that day or trip. I remember this strange situation, but the location has me totally stumped. I had never seen anything remotely like it.
My brother told me later that when you see super muddy water going across a road, it's a really bad place to be, because it's indication of a landslide that might be about to occur. :eek: It made sense, and after that, I paid more attention when I performed my required, weekly photo excursions.
Our rivers turn a milky, dirty brown when it rains, so this red color was happening because of something much more unusual. I figure it was a landslide about to happen, or one way above me on the mountain that had already occurred.

Muddy road_filtered 700.jpg

Muddy bank water_filtered 700.jpg

Muddy 1_filtered vert800.jpg

Muddy close up_filtered 700.jpg

Latest posts

Back